2023: Offseason

onejayhawk

2 hours ago, kingseanjohn said:

Another one gone. An avg of 7/year was close to what I thought he’d get. 

Yeah, this was one of the more predictable ones, I think. I like Thornhill, but he was definitely kind of just a guy here. The kind of player we've moved on from successfully for a decade under Reid, and we drafted to prepare for it already with Cook. Probably another mid to low round DB to find a third safety though.

Just now, Jakuvious said:

Yeah, this was one of the more predictable ones, I think. I like Thornhill, but he was definitely kind of just a guy here. The kind of player we've moved on from successfully for a decade under Reid, and we drafted to prepare for it already with Cook. Probably another mid to low round DB to find a third safety though.

I was surprised when they signed Justin Reid and still took a S in round #2.

In this context, it makes more sense. It's a deep CB class. We can get a conversion project late. If it comes to it, we have a couple of big CB who we can crosstrain a bit. It's the sort of thing Spags loves to do.

3 minutes ago, Chiefs_5627 said:

OBjr signed with the Bengals for a few mill less annually than what we offered last year. I would've loved to hear what he tried to squeeze out of us this years conversations 

More than just a few mill less lol. 6/$139 vs 4/$64 APY would’ve been $23.16M granted it’s not all GTD but overall would’ve been Top 2-3? based on APY and now is like 17th

Edited by chiefs82

1 hour ago, onejayhawk said:

Who said anything about backup TE? We run 2 TE sets almost as much as 3 WR sets. 

It is not as if we can draft a WR at #31 who will be able to step in and play. We can probably get a choice of TE who could do better. Beside that, we have needs on OL and DL which are more pressing. Taylor and Omenihu give us flexibility but depth is almost nonexistent.

You’re the one talking about drafting a TE.  I’m all for best player available.  There’sa stack of DL I have above every TE in this draft.  If a WR that makes Andy want that cheeseburger drops ok, but I’m looking heavily at edge or Mazi the Mountain if he’s available.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kingseanjohn said:

Gross. Can’t wait for that 60mil cap hit. 

I think it’s telling though, that is not all of what they could do.  Veach is controlling what’s happening.  He knows sooner or later the whole deal gets reworked, and I’m not sure how that all impacts money owed.

8 minutes ago, Chiefs_5627 said:

OBjr signed with the Bengals for a few mill less annually than what we offered last year. I would've loved to hear what he tried to squeeze out of us this years conversations 

I think it comes down to the contact being front loader and him negotiating again in 3 years.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, chiefs82 said:

I gotta imagine it was something along the lines of  

OB: we upping the offer from last year? 

Veach: nah, can't do it 

OB: but I helped win a chip, just toss me 25m's 

Veach: dude can't

OB: I'll get more on the market 

Veach: *in Liam Neeson voice* Good Luck

10 minutes ago, EMAW_KSU said:

I think it comes down to the contact being front loader and him negotiating again in 3 years.

Fair for sure but it just confirms imo it was ALL about the money for him. He wanted to squeeze us for every penny, and that's his prerogative, but he's lucky he didn't wind up on a bottom feeder team.  

All that chatter about his ol Man wanting him to be the highest paid LT and all seems a little sketchy now, to me.

Edited by Chiefs_5627

Just now, Chiefs_5627 said:

Fair for sure but it just confirms imo it was ALL about the money for him. He wanted to squeeze us for every penny, and that's his prerogative, but he's lucky he didn't wind up on a bottom feeder team.  

All that chatter about his ol Man wanting him to be the highest paid LT and all seems a little sketchy now, to me.

Still got his “highest ever” in there with the signing bonus.

• Like 1