2023: Offseason

onejayhawk

I was ok with Juju leaving.  I could see a one year deal for a guy like Chark or Theilen to bump stats to try and get a bigger contract or if we’re willing to trade a guy like Nuk coming in to ice a hall of fame career.  Nuk is so expensive though.

2 minutes ago, EMAW_KSU said:

I was ok with Juju leaving.  I could see a one year deal for a guy like Chark or Theilen to bump stats to try and get a bigger contract or if we’re willing to trade a guy like Nuk coming in to ice a hall of fame career.  Nuk is so expensive though.

Nuk would be around 19mil and 15mil in cap hits. He has said he’s open to negotiating. Sounded like he wants to win more than money at this point. 

1 hour ago, kingseanjohn said:

I’m surprised we didn’t match that or beat it slightly. 

I might have matched that.

But, I have almost no reason not to trust the front office right now. One thing I did say entering the offseason, is that if we didn't look to bring back JuJu or sign someone else in a similar mold, that it probably speaks highly to how Moore was doing in practice throughout the season. The best routes and spot for Moore were exactly what suited JuJu, so the overlap there held Moore back. If they think he can be that guy next year, there's less need to replace that. Could have Moore running the possession and intermediate routes, Toney doing the gadget and slot stuff, and MVS as the deep threat, and still have kind of the core roles covered there (equivalent of JuJu, Hardman, MVS going into last year.)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, onejayhawk said:

Chark would have made more sense a year ago but that is the line we should be taking.

Also, there are more players like Justin Watson around, assuming we don't re-sign him. If we wanted to, we could sign Pringle or Robinson to be the blocking WR.

None of those guys qualifies as a weapon.  Juju was still able to win, was solid when we needed that.  Watson is a 4, Pringle/Robinson maybe the same.

1 hour ago, chiefs82 said:

Does Hardman come back now? Chiefs know him better than anyone and with that Injury and rehab idk which teams are looking at him 

Giants are interested in Hardman supposedly. I'm assuming he might take longer to sign somewhere because of the injuries.

2 hours ago, EMAW_KSU said:

None of those guys qualifies as a weapon.  Juju was still able to win, was solid when we needed that.  Watson is a 4, Pringle/Robinson maybe the same.

Toney qualifies as a weapon. The team seems very clear on that point. So long as he is healthy, KT is going to be in the thick of it. MVS qualifies as a weapon. Skyy was showing flashes. Watson was a glue guy, which is valuable, and could move to a more active role if he returns.

I am not worried about having WR for Mahomes to throw to. I am more worried about Kelce slowing down. We can do better talentwise by drafting a TE than we can by drafting a WR.

On another note, I see that Buechele was tendered. Will we still sign a cheap veteran QB?

Edited by onejayhawk

15 minutes ago, onejayhawk said:

Toney qualifies as a weapon. The team seems very clear on that point. So long as he is healthy, KT is going to be in the thick of it. MVS qualifies as a weapon. Skyy was showing flashes. Watson was a glue guy, which is valuable, and could move to a more active role if he returns.

I am not worried about having WR for Mahomes to throw to. I am more worried about Kelce slowing down. We can do better talentwise by drafting a TE than we can by drafting a WR.

On another note, I see that Buechele was tendered. Will we still sign a cheap veteran QB?

I am FAR more worried about KT staying healthy, MVS actually making an impact or just catching the ball than I am about spending a premium pick on competition for back up TE.  In your argument Fortson = Toney, Gray is at least as good as MVS.  I get Killa Trav isn’t going to be around forever.  But I live in WI, drafting the replacement too early can be…unfortunate.

Who said anything about backup TE? We run 2 TE sets almost as much as 3 WR sets. 

It is not as if we can draft a WR at #31 who will be able to step in and play. We can probably get a choice of TE who could do better. Beside that, we have needs on OL and DL which are more pressing. Taylor and Omenihu give us flexibility but depth is almost nonexistent.