2023: Offseason

onejayhawk

23 minutes ago, kingseanjohn said:

I hope this is the case. Keep Taylor at RT where he's shown he can play. I'd prefer to have one unknown (Niang/Prince at LT) rather than two (can Taylor play LT + RT).

Taylor can be a very good RT but he hasn't got Niang's athleticism. I am firmly convinced that only injuries have prevented Niang from playing in the Pro Bowl. Of course, it was a college injury that allowed us to draft him in the first place instead of someone in the middle of the first round.

27 minutes ago, kingseanjohn said:

I hope this is the case. Keep Taylor at RT where he's shown he can play. I'd prefer to have one unknown (Niang/Prince at LT) rather than two (can Taylor play LT + RT).

I think what we need to believe is they are asking pieces to improve the tackle positions.  If they add a high draft pick at either end the idea is to improve.  Taylor is an improvement as a pass blocker, a draft pick could be on either side, Niang, maybe.  This is why we trust the coaches.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, onejayhawk said:

Taylor can be a very good RT but he hasn't got Niang's athleticism. I am firmly convinced that only injuries have prevented Niang from playing in the Pro Bowl. Of course, it was a college injury that allowed us to draft him in the first place instead of someone in the middle of the first round.

I think there’sa lot to this statement.  Regardless of where Taylor lines up, we need to keep adding pieces.  We were fortunate last year with our starters continuing to add people who can play is key.

1 minute ago, mayanfootball said:

Well, this beats drafting 2 OT's to play in front of PM.

I'd love to draft another OT with 31 and let the best man win the competition at RT and LT. This should be interesting

I’ve said this a few times in the general thread.  This move adds flexibility in our draft to add talent to our team.  It’sa prices move but could pay huge dividends.

And you guys complained about Orlando Brown Jr.....

Jawaan Taylor?  What $20 mil a year for four years?  Holy crap that does not make sense, he was the weak link in Jacksonville on that OL.  Dude is physically a massive dude but has not been great on Jacksonville and the Chiefs pay him like he is a great tackle.

Not sure that makes sense, and in no way can he play LT of course.  So who they got at LT?  

At least it is not the Titans paying $10 mil a year for a backup tackle to start, a backup that could not even succeed with the best OL coach in the NFL.  Maybe the Chiefs think Andy can bring the best out of Jawaan Taylor.  

11 minutes ago, kingseanjohn said:

Conveniently our team is above average to very good at passing and average a running.  He won’t be asked to be exceptional at something he isn’t.

The big guaranteed money is the shock value here. McGlinchey got more overall to play RT, with another year at 7m less guaranteed.  In the long run though it’s all about what you’re locked into.  So for 7m more we signed a guy we hope can play LT, worst case scenario he slides back to the right.

I’m not crazy about it, but I’m not losing sleep over it either.  I’d really like to see us make some room for/make some DL moves.

54 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Jawaan Taylor?  What $20 mil a year for four years?  Holy crap that does not make sense, he was the weak link in Jacksonville on that OL.  Dude is physically a massive dude but has not been great on Jacksonville and the Chiefs pay him like he is a great tackle.

They are paying him like he's a better than average OT.

Not sure that makes sense, and in no way can he play LT of course.  So who they got at LT?  

The OL coach thinks otherwise. The plan is to move him. 

They also have the much injured Lucas Niang and Prince Wanogho. If Niang can play, he can cover either side. The key is keeping him on the field.

At least it is not the Titans paying $10 mil a year for a backup tackle to start, a backup that could not even succeed with the best OL coach in the NFL.  Maybe the Chiefs think Andy can bring the best out of Jawaan Taylor.  

It's under $6 MM against the cap for the first year. Later years are later.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ozzy said:

OB allowed more pressures than Taylor…🤷‍♂️😂

• Like 1