2023: Offseason

onejayhawk

1 hour ago, Ozzy said:

And you guys complained about Orlando Brown Jr.....

Jawaan Taylor?  What $20 mil a year for four years?  Holy crap that does not make sense, he was the weak link in Jacksonville on that OL.  Dude is physically a massive dude but has not been great on Jacksonville and the Chiefs pay him like he is a great tackle.

Not sure that makes sense, and in no way can he play LT of course.  So who they got at LT?  

At least it is not the Titans paying $10 mil a year for a backup tackle to start, a backup that could not even succeed with the best OL coach in the NFL.  Maybe the Chiefs think Andy can bring the best out of Jawaan Taylor.  

Your near stalker level obsession with defending Brown will never not confuse me.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, onejayhawk said:

They are paying him like he's a better than average OT.

The OL coach thinks otherwise. The plan is to move him. 

They also have the much injured Lucas Niang and Prince Wanogho. If Niang can play, he can cover either side. The key is keeping him on the field.

It's under $6 MM against the cap for the first year. Later years are later.

Jawaan Taylor can play LT?  When?  And sure $6 mil against the cap the first year because a most of the $20 mil is guaranteed money isn't it.

I just find it odd, fans and apparently the team hate on Orlando Brown Jr, but you honestly think Jawaan Taylor can play LT better than Orlando Brown Jr can?  Yes both of them are more of the RT type but come on, how many Pro bowls has Taylor been to if he is so good?  Sure Brown was up and down at times but you think he was up and down, check out Taylor there at LT, who again was the weaker link on that OT group for Jacksonville the past few years.  Walker Little was better than he was in pass pro.  

And the Chiefs are not willing to pay Brown Jr but are willing to pay Taylor?  Taylor is getting more than McGlinchey got who is not great but not sure Taylor is that much better than he is either.  

Will be interesting how it turns out but some of you will be hating on Taylor just like you did with Brown making similar comments of he is overpaid for the level of play he is producing.  

35 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Jawaan Taylor can play LT?  When?  And sure $6 mil against the cap the first year because a most of the $20 mil is guaranteed money isn't it.

I am just going on what team spokespeople are saying. They think that he can swing to the other end. OB Jr had almost no LT experience when we traded for him.

I just find it odd, fans and apparently the team hate on Orlando Brown Jr, but you honestly think Jawaan Taylor can play LT better than Orlando Brown Jr can?  Yes both of them are more of the RT type but come on, how many Pro bowls has Taylor been to if he is so good?  Sure Brown was up and down at times but you think he was up and down, check out Taylor there at LT, who again was the weaker link on that OT group for Jacksonville the past few years.  Walker Little was better than he was in pass pro.  

And the Chiefs are not willing to pay Brown Jr but are willing to pay Taylor?  Taylor is getting more than McGlinchey got who is not great but not sure Taylor is that much better than he is either.  

The team did not hate OB Jr. They were very up-front about wanting to re-sign him. They signed Taylor for 1/3 the money on this year's cap.

McGlinchy is a solid comp. He was a 1st round pick, vs high 2nd round. He has a 5 year deal vs 4 years. On balance, roughly equivalent. You assess the players as roughly equal as well. 

Will be interesting how it turns out but some of you will be hating on Taylor just like you did with Brown making similar comments of he is overpaid for the level of play he is producing.  

Some already are hating. It's the nature of fans. If nothing else, the only way the Chiefs will overpay this season is if Taylor does not play at all.

1 hour ago, Ozzy said:

McGlinchey is a good comp, he’s staying on the right.  If we reach the draft and a guy like Harrison is there, he’s the BPA on our board and he wins out in camp etc, then we solved two questions for the next 4 years minimum.  Taylor is a drastic upgrade at RT over Wylie, and his strength is pass blocking, don’t know if you’ve noticed, but we don’t really make our money running the football that often.

So did we pay a lot, absolutely, did we create HUGE flexibility in the draft, also yes.  Our coaching staff has shown the ability to take talent and make it work, until it doesn’t I’ll side with them.  And until we see what Orlando Brown Jr is asking, I have to assume it is more.

• Like 1

I'm sure Orlando Brown Jr is asking a lot more.  He and his agent turned down a solid offer from the Chiefs last year.  At some point the Chiefs assessed the inconsistent play against the money demanded and decided to move on.

I wouldn’t say KC bashed Brown.   We probably poked fun because his contract demands were nowhere near his level of play.  

We may be in a similar boat with Taylor, but at least I can see some upside in him.   Watching Orlando Brown do deep pass sets actually made my body hurt and I still believe we moved away from larger drops because of that.  

38 minutes ago, Mizter_Clean10 said:

Imagine being told in public what your previous team told you in private.

With the offer KC made last year at least them considered him a legit top of the pops LT. But obviously that was not good enough  ... now he's gotta see what others think ... the KC ship has sailed though ...

But honestly: How many LT are out there that are proven any better than OBJr? A handful, may be two ... would be my guess ...