Is Mayfield a first rounder???

Iamcanadian

2 hours ago, Mastercheddaar said:

Type of offense they run, how they handle themselves on and off the field, Size, Strength, Accuracy with the ball, Pocket presence, etc. 

Duel threats (they run and get injured) and spread option QBs do not impress me. I want a pro style pocket presence QB with size, arm, accuracy and leadership. Also I do not want any off field issues or childish behaviors. Cough cough... Mayfield.

Darnold seems like he has all of those. Rosen is in a very close second AND we will be in the position to pick one of them. 

That is all

Mastercheddaar

Let's pretend Darnold didn't surprise the NCAA with his very promising year last year.  With just his most recent year to go on, what round do you grab Darnold?

4 minutes ago, NudeTayne said:

Let's pretend Darnold didn't surprise the NCAA with his very promising year last year.  With just his most recent year to go on, what round do you grab Darnold?

Whilst I understand what you're saying, and agree that I would have some pause if I only had this season to go on, I'd still draft him Round 1 and still be fine with #1 overall because I'd be looking primarily for the traits and skill set, both of which I've seen in abundance this year.

That doesn't mean I haven't seen some things that suggest he isn't the perfect prospect, but on balance I'd still have him as a first round QB.

I think I would too for Josh Rosen and Baker Mayfield.

Then there is Josh Allen, who is proving a difficult one for me. Because his play is often times hugely underwhelming, which is a giant red flag. But then there are times when he looks like the next Aaron Rodgers and wows me more than any other QB in the class. It's also hard to judge because he's playing against terrible competition with a terrible supporting cast. I honestly don't know where I'd draft him.

12 hours ago, Aztec Hammer said:

Whilst I understand what you're saying, and agree that I would have some pause if I only had this season to go on, I'd still draft him Round 1 and still be fine with #1 overall because I'd be looking primarily for the traits and skill set, both of which I've seen in abundance this year.

That doesn't mean I haven't seen some things that suggest he isn't the perfect prospect, but on balance I'd still have him as a first round QB.

I think I would too for Josh Rosen and Baker Mayfield.

Then there is Josh Allen, who is proving a difficult one for me. Because his play is often times hugely underwhelming, which is a giant red flag. But then there are times when he looks like the next Aaron Rodgers and wows me more than any other QB in the class. It's also hard to judge because he's playing against terrible competition with a terrible supporting cast. I honestly don't know where I'd draft him.

Reading what you said about Josh Allen reminds me of Kizer during last year. Wow plays mixed with trainwreck plays. Looked like he could be great or terrible.

21 minutes ago, Fatgerman said:

Reading what you said about Josh Allen reminds me of Kizer during last year. Wow plays mixed with trainwreck plays. Looked like he could be great or terrible.

He has the best arm in the class, easily. And is very athletic too. Basically the perfect physical skill set. But yes, there's too much variance in his play. When he throws for 64 yards against Oregon and 92 yards against Hawaii... regardless of the talent around him or any other excuse, it can't be ignored.

His peaks are higher than Kizer's were in my opinion. Just some truly impressive plays where he escapes the pocket and puts it on the money 50+ yards in the perfect spot in the end zone whilst falling away at an awkward angle. Things like that wow me. But then you take another look and see that he wasn't so much escaping the pocket as immediately bailing from it. He has a tendency to bail out of the pocket to his right often. He also has a tendency to force the ball resulting in ugly interceptions. Unfortunately there's as many times that you watch him and say "that was awful" as there are times when he makes an amazing throw that many NFL QBs couldn't.

It would take a brave man to draft him #1 overall because his incredible skill set doesn't match his production. So in that respect, I think I concur with ditch's post above. But on the other hand, there is something to be said for every prospect not being a finished product and with Allen, you've got the best combination of arm and legs since Wentz, I believe. It's then a case of whether you think he has the brain and the mental acuity for it.

3 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Josh Allen has no business in the top 10 imo, he’s all over the place.

I have a feeling he'll get there by the end of the pre draft process. Even if he doesn't deserve it. The size, arm talent and athleticism. I could see him blowing up the combine etc and some coach thinking they've got the next Rodgers on their hands. Similar roots etc. Not similar on field performance though, you're right.

Just now, Aztec Hammer said:

I have a feeling he'll get there by the end of the pre draft process. Even if he doesn't deserve it. The size, arm talent and athleticism. I could see him blowing up the combine etc and some coach thinking they've got the next Rodgers on their hands. Similar roots etc. Not similar on field performance though, you're right.

The only way he becomes the next Rodgers imo is if he’s drafted and allowed to sit for a while.

If teams like Oregon can completely shut him down, nfl defenses will feast on him.

Whoever drafts him will have to be patient with him.  That fact alone should take him off the Browns draft board.

3 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

The only way he becomes the next Rodgers imo is if he’s drafted and allowed to sit for a while.

If teams like Oregon can completely shut him down, nfl defenses will feast on him.

Whoever drafts him will have to be patient with him.  That fact alone should take him off the Browns draft board.

He has a shot as a late 1st rounder  based on his arm and physicality. His production will drop him some for sure, but you have to remember, he has minimal talent around him and so you have to wonder what he could be, surrounded by far more talented players and far better coaching???

On 11/28/2017 at 3:50 AM, NudeTayne said:

All jokes aside, my realistic idea is to take Mayfield with our 2nd pick, around #4-6.  I believe he'll be there & it's not too risky with Darnold/Rosen/Jackson likely to go ahead of him due to size/arrest/antics.  NFL owners are traditionally reactionary to anything outside of pc perfection.  I could see us realistically ending up with Barkley & Mayfield; the Barkley/Fitzpatrick/Mayfield draft is a pipe dream, admittedly.

It always carries a huge risk when you bypass the 2 leading prospects at the position to take the #3 guy. The FO has to absolutely love the guy to do it, because he will always be judged by what the #1 and #2 guys accoplish. It a job breaker if Mayfield slips in anyway.

For me, after waiting so many years to find a franchise QB, I would go with the #1 guy, a chance that does not happen too often for many franchises. I mean what if Darnold goes #2, Rosen #3 and Mayfield #4 with us holding the #5 pick, then what???? We would have to stay drunk all year to get over it!!! 

18 hours ago, NudeTayne said:

With his size, strength, accuracy, pocket presence, and on/off field leadership qualities; I would still have him in the top 10. I've seen a lot worse QBs taken in the top 10 based on less. 

That is all

Mastercheddaar

On 11/27/2017 at 10:55 PM, ditchdigger said:

He's a shade over 6', but that doesn't matter.  This stat does, though.

On 11/27/2017 at 11:29 PM, Iamcanadian said:

I said could be 5'10", his height will be decided at the Combine, because colleges lie all the time about height and weight to give their stars a better shot at being named All American, which also helps their recruiting. What makes me suspicious about his height, is how much it is mentioned in scouting reports and the fact he started the season as a possible 4th or 5th rounder. Makes me think he could be shorter than what he is listed as??? The Combine will tell all!!!

Remember also, that Baker likes to roll out a lot to compensate for his height, even so, I love him precisely because he is so effective at whatever his height proves out to be.

That's a good stat to have on hand Ditch. Thanks for posting that.

And Canadian, I don't think anyone is going off his college stuff for his height anymore... (He got measured 6 foot and a half inch when he was booked for drunk and disorderly back in February.)

19 minutes ago, freakygeniuskid said:

And Canadian, I don't think anyone is going off his college stuff for his height anymore... (He got measured 6 foot and a half inch when he was booked for drunk and disorderly back in February.)

Yup.  We have a fairly official height on record from the police.  In fact, I have an idea...

4 hours ago, freakygeniuskid said:

???with his shoes off or on or did they just ask him his height rather than measure him??? I'll wait till the Combine so I know for sure he was measured, the way they have measured every QB prospect who came to the combine?

Archived