Where does Derek Carr land?

RaidersAreOne

On 2/18/2023 at 12:30 PM, CWood21 said:

Why not both?  I could easily see a situation where the Panthers offer up a big 2 or 3 year deal and then take a QB with their FRP to develop behind him.  Spend 2 years with Carr as their QB, and then in Y3 have the rookie takeover.

Carr is the definition of a crybaby, dude would be in shambles if they drafted his heir apparent.

It has to be a dome or warm winter team (sorry New York and Baltimore) with a sane owner (sorry Washington), no QB as good or better than Justin Fields (sorry Detroit), and a lot of cap space (sorry Carolina, Tampa Bay, Tennessee, and New Orleans) who aren't in a position to take a cheaper top two or three rookie QB (sorry Houston and Indianapolis) or develop a random late rounder (sorry San Francisco) on their own.

This is a roundabout way of saying "Atlanta".

Edited by Dr A W Niloc
sense
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dr A W Niloc said:

It has to be a dome or warm winter team (sorry New York and Baltimore) with a sane owner (sorry Washington), a QB as good or better than Justin Fields (sorry Detroit), and a lot of cap space (sorry Carolina, Tampa Bay, Tennessee, and New Orleans) who aren't in a position to take a cheaper top two or three rookie QB (sorry Houston and Indianapolis) or develop a random late rounder (sorry San Francisco) on their own.

This is a roundabout way of saying "Atlanta".

Atlanta would be a pretty good fit for him, I think it will be New York or New Orleans most likely though. 

New York kind of makes sense to me. He’s got a bunch of pieces there with a good defense. Signing Carr would also allow them to hang onto Wilson and not completely give up on him yet. Let him sit behind Carr and hopefully develop. 

I haven’t watched a lot of Zach Wilson, but have heard he’s not popular in his locker room and has been pretty terrible. From all accounts that I’ve read, Carr is a great leader and well liked among his teammates; it might be good for Wilson to sit behind him and learn how to be a pro.

Regardless of what happens with Wilson I think the Jets could make some noise with Carr and all the other pieces they have on their team.

So the meeting went great with the Jets. Carr loved Saleh, which isn't a surprise because all players love Saleh. Based on vibes around the league, Hackett is a guy players love as well. Then the Jets hired Carr's former guy in Downing as the passing coordinator.  Scheme fit it will be strong, WCO which is what Carr fits best.  

I am hoping we land him, so we can stop the QB drama and also I don't want to give up draft picks. 

On 2/18/2023 at 12:48 AM, Nabbs4u said:

Depends on whether Frank wants to tie his future success on yet another Veteran QB or draft a "Potential" Cam Newton in Anthony Richardson on a Rookie deal? Save the 40M and spend it elsewhere.?

If Richardson starts year 1 he will bust, no question. You can bring in Carr as a bridge guy, Develop Richardson behind him, and start cooking in Year 2.

1 hour ago, GW21 said:

New York kind of makes sense to me. He’s got a bunch of pieces there with a good defense. Signing Carr would also allow them to hang onto Wilson and not completely give up on him yet. Let him sit behind Carr and hopefully develop. 

I haven’t watched a lot of Zach Wilson, but have heard he’s not popular in his locker room and has been pretty terrible. From all accounts that I’ve read, Carr is a great leader and well liked among his teammates; it might be good for Wilson to sit behind him and learn how to be a pro.

Regardless of what happens with Wilson I think the Jets could make some noise with Carr and all the other pieces they have on their team.

On paper NY is a great fit for Carr but there are two things that concern me. The first is his inability to play in cold weather and the second is how sensitive he is when it comes to the media / fans. I'm not sure that he has thick enough skin to last in NYC if things don't go as planned. 

Don't really see Wilson / Carr being a great duo going forward. The Jets have to decide on his 5th year option (they'll decline) this offseason and the writing is pretty much on the wall that he's out of there. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, HerbertGOAT said:

If Richardson starts year 1 he will bust, no question. You can bring in Carr as a bridge guy, Develop Richardson behind him, and start cooking in Year 2.

Carr isn't the type of player that would willingly sign up to be a bridge guy, where ever he goes next is probably where he'd like to spend the rest of his career. 

12 hours ago, HerbertGOAT said:

Carr will not sign with Carolina or any team looking to draft his replacement in the next 2 years. He's looking for long term security, not bridge. It's one or the other.

On 2/20/2023 at 12:50 PM, adamq said:

A lot depends on Rodgers. If he comes back, NYJ will put the full court press on him.. if ARon retires or rebukes them, I think they offer Carr more than anyone else does. The 3rd best option for them is Jimmy G, and they know how that ends all too well

On IR in week 7?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Makes NY sound pretty desperate.

I mean, Carr still probably has enough time left in his career to experience a revival, make a Superbowl or even 2, rack up some accolades, and make a HoF push when all is said and done. His numbers aren't awful and could improve and if they do, he may even get some leeway for being stuck with the Raiders for so long. He probably has 7-8 more years, so it's not entirely impossible to rack enough hardware up. 

But it would take much much much more than just winning a SB for the Jets to get him there.