Band vs. Band

biggie.

20 hours ago, JohnChimpo said:

I like Radiohead better than Velvet Underground, but I like Radiohead’s “rock” songs better than their electronic experimental sounding stuff.

I’ll take Pearl Jam over Nirvana, but it’s very close. Both put out great albums early on.

The Rolling Stones vs The Who?

Easily The Who, not even close. Also The Stones absolutely suck, I despise them. I wanted to like them, I just don’t.

48 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Easily The Who, not even close. Also The Stones absolutely suck, I despise them. I wanted to like them, I just don’t.

I’m glad everyone agrees that The Who is better than The Stones. I don’t think it’s close, but I didn’t know what the consensus would be.

• Like 1

Radiohead
Nirvana
CCR
Motley
The Stones

Guess I'll be the one but I can't stand the Who. Now the Stones are also annoying at times (especially their sex songs) but I'll take Gimme Shelter, Can You Hear Me Knocking, Paint it Black and Rolling Dice over anything the Who ever wrote.

Heart vs Fleetwood Mac

Edited by Shockwave
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Shockwave said:

Heart vs Fleetwood Mac

Wow, good one. Rumours is just a classic. Every song slaps. I'm going with FM.

That said, I had the privilege to see Ann Wilson recently perform. She's still got it; the show was great. She did a cover of Rooster, and it was fantastic. 

Smash Mouth vs Barenaked Ladies

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Shockwave said:

Radiohead
Nirvana
CCR
Motley
The Stones

Guess I'll be the one but I can't stand the Who. Now the Stones are also annoying at times (especially their sex songs) but I'll take Gimme Shelter, Can You Hear Me Knocking, Paint it Black and Rolling Dice over anything the Who ever wrote.

Heart vs Fleetwood Mac

I agree.  The Who's sound does nothing for me.  I was never into the Stones much either, but Paint it Black and Satisfaction were always good.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Malfatron said:

Ew, i guess Smash Mouth because some underplayed songs on their first album are decent

Pink Floyd or Phish?

Floyd by a mile.  I'd put Phish up against a band like The Grateful Dead instead.  PF sets the mood.  Phish is something to listen to when already in the right mood.

1 hour ago, biggie. said:

Fugazi vs. Dinosaur Jr.

i only have ever skimmed fugazi albums looking for a sound a liked, but the only song i ever really liked was the i'm so tired track, which doesn't really sound like anything else by them. dinosaur jr. i love a lotta tracks. so yeah easily dinosaur jr. for me

I really do not like Pink Floyd but have only heard the hits played on the radio. Any suggestions on good deep tracks to listen to? (Comfortably Numb especially, too slow/droning for me)

13 hours ago, biggie. said:

Don't forget to provide a matchup after making your pick; it's how to keep the thread rolling.

Fugazi vs. Dinosaur Jr.

I like Fugazi, got into them because Flea talks about em quite a bit. Never heard of Dinosaur Jr but I'll give them a listen..

EDIT- Nevermind, on the 4th track now and Dino Jr is definitely better to my ears. These guys kick ***. Good videos to boot.

Here's a 90's blast- The Offspring or Sublime

Edited by adamq

3 hours ago, adamq said:

I really do not like Pink Floyd but have only heard the hits played on the radio. Any suggestions on good deep tracks to listen to? (Comfortably Numb especially, too slow/droning for me)

I like Fugazi, got into them because Flea talks about em quite a bit. Never heard of Dinosaur Jr but I'll give them a listen..

EDIT- Nevermind, on the 4th track now and Dino Jr is definitely better to my ears. These guys kick ***. Good videos to boot.

Here's a 90's blast- The Offspring or Sublime

I'm in the minority, but I absolutely love Offspring.  My guilty music pleasure.   Since I was the second answer, I'll defer to Biggie and repeat his matchup:  

Brand New vs. Taking Back Sunday

• Like 1