Trubisky Development

dll2000

As soon as Bears drafted MT it was my stated opinion that they needed to spend 100% of their efforts on his development and that this was a lost year in terms of wins and losses. 

Instead Bears chose to spend majority of off-season attempting to get Mike Glennon familiar with offense and ready for season. Most commentators appaulded the decision of a "red shirt" year.  Once season starts all reps go to starter and everyone else watches.  

It was predictable given all of NFL history that pressure would be incredible to play the early pick barring a very successful start by the Bears.  It was also predictable given roster and opponents that Bears would not start fast.  

You don't get ready with no reps.  My position is Bears plan for MT was set up for failure from the start.  

When nearly inevitable decision to play Mitch was made they compounded the development problem with ridiculous all run and a few  short pass game plans.  They felt they could win games with multiple defensive scores or keeping game close and hoping something positive happened. That is playing not to lose and never is a sustainable strategy despite the occasional miracle.  

More importantly they weren't going to win many regardless so they should have been concentrating on development of their QB. Stupid over conservative game plans are NOT the way to develop a player.  Player development is repping real plays, getting real experience with those real plays and learning from your mistakes on the field and more importantly in the film room.

Watching yourself hand off or throw screens doesn't help. Nor does only watching yourself throw on third and ten facing 8 or 9 dropping or rushing.  Not good learning to be had there.  All the while your coach is telling you, don't throw any picks, don't throw any picks!

They have screwed up this whole process to date with the exception of some series in Viking game  in which they let him play and MT actually showed his talent eithbsoem amazing throws.  I know he is going to turn ball over if turned loose.  That is what rookie QBs do and is part of development process. That happens even with full off season of reps and much college experience neither of which Mitch had.  

I am convinced that MT has talent to play in NFL, whether he succeeds or not remains to be seen, but Bears haven't done him any favors and have hindered him greatly.  

4 minutes ago, Rogerthat said:

Won't be the first QB the bears have ruined. 

This was my problem with the bears drafting a QB in 2017 as opposed to waiting until the 2018 draft. The  bears didn't have a coaching staff in place to develop a QB.   

One year cannot ruin a QB, and you could have to deal with the chance of And returning for a senior year or other variables that may take you out of the running for the QB you want if there is only one. 

Pace probably didn't want to take that risk in the last year of his deal. 

Goff looked worse his rookie year in my opinion, but yes Trubisky is in a very similar situation to what Goff was in last year with a conservatively bad head coach who's time has passed him by and with a poor/underutilized supporting cast on offense.

It shouldn't be a surprise to anyone on here that Trubisky would have a few bumps in the road in his first year starting under these circumstances with the limited amount of experience he had in college.

Add in that now it's almost a certainty that Trubisky will go into 2018 with a new OC if not a new HC too.

Cutler, part Deux.

Trade multiple draft picks to acquire a QB. Check Cutler. Check Trubisky.

Give him a porous Oline and weak weapons and get him sacked to pieces. Check Cutler. Check Trubisky.

Give him a new OC virtually every season. Check Cutler.  ????????

There really aren't many QBs that come out flying in their first year.. and the ones that do are usually in really special, positive situations (like Dak Prescott last year)  This is not a big deal, and frankly if he's going to have his first year lumps let him get them out of the way when the rest of the team still isn't ready to contend.

If having 12 games go badly for him is enough to ruin him for life then he probably wasn't tough enough to be an NFL star anyway.  So long as he's not getting pummelled every play I think he can get past it. He seems like a really strong guy mentally, so I think he'll be OK. 

Larger point is Bears wasted a lot of valuable time on Glennon that could have been spent on Mitch.  1000s of reps lost all so he didn't lose confidence by suffering early lumps, only to throw him out there with little prep time and a beat up, injury depleted roster and demoralized team.  I don't want to toot my own horn as I've been wrong plenty of times, but this is exactly what I said would happen in offseason. It is frustrating.

Redshirts for top 5 QBs not backing up an established good NFL QB on a good team are just stupid IMO.  A complete waste of time.

Inevitable.  That is the feeling that describes this season. Glennon sucked? Not surprised. A full season of playcalling so conservative Robert Welch would be shocked? Oh yeah. EVERYBODY saw week 5 as Trubisky time, because it all seemed so obvious.  Don't tell me for a SECOND that you weren't like "well there's the game" when the Bears lined up Barth at the end of the Lions game.  Remember that feeling you had the week before the Packers game?  The Bears were favored everywhere, there wasn't a single area in which they weren't the better team on paper, but man, you knew they were going to find a way to make the same old script play out.

Lets just hope they get the next coach right, because if they don't they'll be flushing their potential franchise QB down the drain. At least they'll inevitably have a nice high draft pick again, just like always. 

27 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Larger point is Bears wasted a lot of valuable time on Glennon that could have been spent on Mitch.  1000s of reps lost all so he didn't lose confidence by suffering early lumps, only to throw him out there with little prep time and a beat up, injury depleted roster and demoralized team.  I don't want to toot my own horn as I've been wrong plenty of times, but this is exactly what I said would happen in offseason. It is frustrating.

Redshirts for top 5 QBs not backing up an established good NFL QB on a good team are just stupid IMO.  A complete waste of time.

Months ago I was advocating for Trubisky to at minimum split first team reps even if he wasn't starting. Glennon is trash and should never start a game without at least one QB ahead of him going down, so of course Trubisky was the more talented player. But also to have him handle all the scout team responsibilities too, even if it isn't our plays it is him adjusting to NFL speed and learning to make reads and coverage identification.

Starting Glennon was a terrible choice, literally no upside was going to come of it, but there was the hope he could be flipped for a mid-low pick. No way in hell that happens. lol

1 hour ago, 51to54 said:

Give him a new OC virtually every season. Check Cutler.  ????????

If we get Reich or Lafluer then the OC will be of minimal importance, as it would be their systems being run. That is the consistency Cutler never had, with either of them Trubisky gets a major advantage. If we go defensive HC though...

22 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

If we get Reich or Lafluer then the OC will be of minimal importance, as it would be their systems being run. That is the consistency Cutler never had, with either of them Trubisky gets a major advantage. If we go defensive HC though...

I'll be shocked if they go with another defensive guy with Pace's fate being tied to Trubisky.

3 hours ago, topwop1 said:

I'll be shocked if they go with another defensive guy with Pace's fate being tied to Trubisky.

I would to, but I was shocked they took a CFL coach over the reigning Coach of the Year. As long as Pace is the one who gets to make the call, I'm sure I'll feel better about it.

4 hours ago, Sugashane said:

I watched the Rams vs. the Saints very closely last night and I just think that Ram's offence would be perfect for Trubisky...the vast majority loved the idea of getting Shanahan last offseason and if we could bring in LaFleur we would get that offence just from a lesser known name.

Archived