Would you rather questions.

warfelg

Throwing a bunch of a set of options of things that could shape the offseason for us, and curious on these options what any of you would think.

WOULD YOU RATHER - 

Trade up in round 1, using 17+32 for a top 10 jump, or trade back in round 1, gaining a 20-ish, 3rd, 5th for the move down?

Sign 1 big FA and a few small ones or only a few mid-price FA's?

Keep Spillane as a role player or retain Gunner O as a slot WR?

Dotson go unchallenged as a starter of Mount Adams unchallenged as a starter?

Retain Myles Jack as a starter or retain Ahkello Witherspoon as a CB3?

If you have any of your own feel free to add them.

• Like 1

trade back. I don't like the idea of having no RD 5 picks. this seems like a good draft to add two more picks in rounds 3-5.

A few mid-price guys. can't think of any big time FA I want. I like for them to repeat what they did last yr

keep spillane. I don't think Gunner offers anything that a healthy Davis on offense and sims on special teams can't do.

Adams go unchallenged. I like the idea of upgrading from dotson to help bring a promising O-line up another level.

I think a rather retain jack, even though he felt like a ghost last yr. spoon is just too inconsistent and you notice when he's game is off.

• Like 1

I'll look into this more when I get itme, but trading up is only for a certain player that fell enough to make the reach worth it.  Not sure that will happen but anythng can happen on draft day. What if Gonzalez is there at 12 still, do you move up?

I like the idea of moving down. The 32 slot is nice for this, have all night to  field offers for that. If you get an additional 4th or 5th, there you pick Vorhees - simple as that;)

Not sure about Gunner, but Spillane is a reserve and sure , keep him unless the draft hands us Henley later on and Pace for example

Dotson and Adams need to be replaced  , never mind not challenged.  This is either UFA (Risner, Powers)  or the draft 

Forbes , will he land here somehow, trades or not? Cam Smith and Forbes would be good  and if you land these 2 then perhaps trade Witherspoon.

Jack should be traded if you get good ILB's in the draft or sign one.  Who suits our scheme and what would the best UFA cost?  Jack failed last year IMO, or at least considering his salary. Perhaps change the scheme for a player that is really good if you have to. 5+ years of very sub par ILB play has been a problem

- Trade down. I don't want to lose out on having 3 picks in the top 50 on this squad. That's a lot of potential. This draft doesnt feel like it has can't-miss guys that are irreplaceable value to guys found later in the draft outside of like Jalen Carter. Gimme the quantity in that case. 

- It just very much depends on the "who". Chauncey Gardner-Johnson? God lord yes. Everyone else....meh. Unfortunately, it's not a great top heavy free agent pool, so multiple value picks are probably the best way. 

- I'm not a person who likes to use the "and it's not even close" thing, because it usually is...but Spillane, and it seriously isn't close. 

- Dotson to go unchallenged. He is the weak link on a position group that gets defined by weak links, but I see more trouble with our D-Line not taking a serious step forward with talent but I just see a limited ceiling with our OLine as is. 

- I think Spoon got a bad wrap last year (injured most of the year and when he did play they handed him AJ Brown and Jamarr Chase with no help -- surprise! They kicked his butt). But Myles Jack is just fine. He isn't an issue and we have a back hole there without him. 

• Like 1

1)Trade down unless it’s for Carter or maybe Paris Johnson

2)Probably several mid tier guys like they did last year with Daniels/Cole/Wallace even though I really like @Dcash4 idea of CGJ

3)Spillane

4)Both would be bad but DL is in more trouble than OL…Dotson unchallenged.

5)Jack even though they can save $8 mill if they cut him 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, warfelg said:

WOULD YOU RATHER - 

Trade up in round 1, using 17+32 for a top 10 jump, or trade back in round 1, gaining a 20-ish, 3rd, 5th for the move down?

I've been pushing moving down for years, so the answer the easy.    Im okay with staying put or trading up for the right player, but I think this is a good year to move down given where we pick.

I honestly dont see anyone worth trading up for that would cost us a future first to get, so thats off the table.   

We need an impact player.   I'd take the big free agent splash and build the rest via the draft.

Mid price FAs are nice when you already have impact players at key positions, but we lack that outside of TJ and Minkah,    On offense Im waiting and hoping guys develop into impact players, notably Pickens and Pickett....but I feel like we really need either an impact DLineman, ILB or CB.    Even one could make a huge difference. 

Spillane and its not close.

No love for Gunner at all.   

If either happens, someone should be fired.   

Dotson, though....barely.

Pretty similar answer to the last one.

Probably Jack, but wouldnt be happy either way.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, warfelg said:

Throwing a bunch of a set of options of things that could shape the offseason for us, and curious on these options what any of you would think.

WOULD YOU RATHER - 

1) Sign Cam Sutton at $15m or let him walk in free agency

2) Pay Alex Highsmith $18m per year now or tag him after next year and then let him walk

3) Trade Diontae Johnson now or wait and let him go UFA

4) Extend Mike Tomlin for two years or just one year with a higher raise?

5) Have Najee Harris for two more years or a third round pick right now

On 3/7/2023 at 7:41 AM, warfelg said:

I have been enjoying a lot of your pre-draft/off-season/Combine work. Thank you for the time, effort, and thoroughness of the material in many of these post that you have put out. I greatly appreciate the efforts. 

WOULD YOU RATHER - 

I have long been the advocate for trading back and getting extra picks if you have a deep draft. The exception is if you have a top heavy draft or a can't miss type of prospect. Example: The Jets jumping the Steelers to get HOF CB Darrelle Revis. That was a move that cost some SB opportunities and potential victories against the Patriots.  For this draft and the teams needs, if I could pick up another pick or two, then yes.  No picks in round 5 and 6 could somewhat hurt with some talent/depth. 

Depends on who and what position.  I would spend big for ILB and not DT. I also would not mind signing a IOL.  Big Ben Powers is my target.   I think the ILB is a little cheaper and the right player for me would be Edmunds.  I like is age, abilities, and fit in our defense.  I like the tall agile type of ILB.  I liked Vander Esch when he came out of college and I like  both Sander and Campbell coming out this year.  I also like Sewell and my sleeper Mohamoud Diabete. All of these guys are taller than the prototypical 6'1 ILB. 

Realistically a lot depends on what happens with signing your own free agents in terms of who you go after. 

Spillane is the more practical of the two for depth and cohesion reasons. Personally, I like them both. Gunner's problem is that he did not have the impact as expected. He was bit by the ghost of Ryan Switzer so to speak.  I think Simms is definitely the man as the #4.  The hope is that Calvin Austin III is healthy and can stay healthy.  That would make Gunner's roster spot completely expendable. Plus, I think the team has some high hopes for Anthony Miller. The  roster spots are just not there that favor Gunner. He really needs to ball out to even have a remote chance of sticking. 

Dotson go unchallenged as a starter or Mount Adams unchallenged as a starter?

I'd have to say, "Ideally, None of the above!" Both need some competition and if an upgrade is available at either or both spots, you take it. 

Dotson is probably the most consistent and has the higher ceiling of the two.  If a good IOL or NG are there in free agency or the draft you take them. 

I think you need them both.  Even with Cam the Steelers have a bunch of #2 or #3 type of CB's. Witherspoon was actually hurt for the majority of the year and he was really in no shape to come back. Picking #17, you typically don't get a shot at Sauce Garner's. Hopefully they draft someone who can develop into a #1 CB.  The Steelers truthfully never had a #1 CB since Rod Woodson. No respect to Joe Haden, I am not saying he wasn't a #1. But he was older and not prime Haden like he was in Cleveland. He shut just about everyone down except AB.  

The problem with DT's is that they are expensive.  I would consider spending a day two draft pick on one of the prime 1 tech's (Ika, Benton, Smith)  or wait a bit and hopefully not get a Mt. McCullers clone.  There is Clark, Mustipher, Cooper, Coburn, Cage and Martin. BTW: I am still disappointed in  McCullers. He had size, strength, could move, but just didn't make enough consistent plays. 

While not something in the forefront, I am keeping an eye on our kickers.  I think Boz has been hurt more than anything else. Hopefully an off season of rest gets him back to the usual "Wizard of Boz/Killer Boz" level.  Is this the year that Percy looks more like Percy the Olympian than ole lead foot.  The guy has had health issues and had to deal with the loss of his father.  Last year, I expected more consistency in his kicking. I would keep Corliss Waitman's number on my phone like the ex you messed up with and now miss. 😉

19 hours ago, Raidersfan1 said:

1) Sign Cam Sutton at $15m or let him walk in free agency

I think you can get Cam for less than $15 Million per year average.  He is the best of a bunch of #2's.  If he leaves you are forced to overpay someone else.  They may be cheaper, but $ for $ not the best value.  That would probably make you force an early CB pick if value isn't there as well. Worst case is the $15 million Cam juice worth the squeeze? For now, probably yes.

2) Pay Alex Highsmith $18m per year now or tag him after next year and then let him walk.

Highsmith is more Kato to the Green Hornet than robin to Batman.  Yes pay the man.  I don't know if it will be quite as steep as $18miilion if you sign him now.  

3) Trade Diontae Johnson now or wait and let him go UFA

WR cupboard is bare with what he does.  I wanted to trade him over Claypool last year.  Now I think you are stuck with him for a year. His trade value may actually go back up some if he produces.  I don't think anyone is going to give you a #1 or #2.  Maybe wait until midseason and try to pull what they did with Claypool and the Bears. 

4) Extend Mike Tomlin for two years or just one year with a higher raise?

Doesn't matter.  He isn't going anywhere until he is ready.  He has an opportunity to build his own from the ground up and is firmly out of the shadows of Coach Cowher and DC LeBeau. If he wins, he will cost more.  He becomes the next Andy Reid and maybe even with more clout because he doesn't have Ben or Mahomes.  

5) Have Najee Harris for two more years or a third round pick right now

I don't understand the Najee hate from many Steelers fans. It is almost as bad as Franco got in the 78-79 seasons.  Najee is a team player, high character young man, he has performed the past two seasons with no consistent OL (until the second half of last year), and he had a serious Lisfranc injury the first half of the year.  As he got healthy the rushing attack got better.  Give him an OL and he can easily be top ten and maybe even top give.  I love the fact that the Steelers have a 1A and a 1B with Jalen Warren.  I think the two of them make each other better. I will add I still would not mind a good scat back or McFarland  staying healthy and running like the ghost of Fast Willie Parker or Eric Pegram.  

34 minutes ago, Steeler Hitman said:

Example: The Jets jumping the Steelers to get HOF CB Darrelle Revis. That was a move that cost some SB opportunities and potential victories against the Patriots.  For this draft and the teams needs, if I could pick up another pick or two, then yes.  No picks in round 5 and 6 could somewhat hurt with some talent/depth.

when people bring up Marino, they may as well bring up Revis. Colbert failed here thats for sure. Imagine Revis with that defence back then

37 minutes ago, Steeler Hitman said:

While not something in the forefront, I am keeping an eye on our kickers.  I think Boz has been hurt more than anything else. Hopefully an off season of rest gets him back to the usual "Wizard of Boz/Killer Boz" level.  Is this the year that Percy looks more like Percy the Olympian than ole lead foot. 

if Bos doesn't rebound (68% this year   xD) , then he will have to be replaced, perhaps mid season.  Percy needs a good season before I consider bringing him back next year.  Really has been a  lower tier punter. I can't believe how bad he  consistently is. He has the odd great punt, but those are rare, the rest are usually lower tier.  Not much middle ground with his punting, either great or lousy.

• Like 1

I haven't posted here in a while, but this topic is intriguing ... In most years, I am a trade down advocate. The Steelers rarely do it though. This might be the year, depending on how the compensatory picks play out.

Now then, one must decide what are the top priorities for the upcoming draft. FA is underway, and the Steelers seem to be making similar moves they make every year to shore up most positions. Nothing spectacular (Peterson is good but aging) as usual.

The one position I really want addressed has not been touched: OT. Despite what some people think, I do not see Moore as a long-term answer. He's had two years as the starter now, and he is still mediocre at best, IMO. Pickett needs to be comfortable in the pocket to take that extra beat to scan the field and find the open guy.

So, for me, OT is the priority, and maybe make a move up for Johnson or Jones. I'm hoping like heck a lot of QBs go before 17 so one of those guys falls. We'll see how it plays out. After OT, the next priority is CB. The Steelers could really use a ball hawking island type of CB, and if none of the OTs are there at 17, I think CB will be there. The leader of this group for me is Cam Smith. No offense to the Gonzalez fans out there, but I watch a lot of Oregon football, and I don't want anything to do with him.

If the Gods hate us and there is no viable option for OT or CB, then I am all in on trading down. Somewhere in the 25-30 range will net a decent pick, plus another 2nd or 3rd, and a 4th or 5th. I don't have  a chart handy, but it should be 3 picks for 1. Or at least 2 picks and maybe a 1st next year.

On 3/8/2023 at 9:00 AM, Steeler Hitman said:

The Najee hate will take care of itself in time. ICYMI - His first half/second half stats differ by 0.1 YPC, which throws out all OL immediately. And puts the crosshairs squarely back on that foot.

And that's the story. It will transition from O-Line to foot when there are no more excuses. But then it's too late. That's why you gotta see around the corner before anyone gets to the end of the Street.

Unrelated but relevant: @3riversLarry O didn't sign with the Bears bc of a foot, I believe. He failed their physical. Passes ours. Signs. Produces 1.5 sacks and 25 tackles in 17 games and then cashes in 3 yrs for 28.5 with the first two years guaranteed.

I see similar results across two pairs of feet. 

It's like, excuse me, who's running the foot program in Pittsburgh??

15 hours ago, cjfollett said:

I haven't posted here in a while, but this topic is intriguing ... In most years, I am a trade down advocate. The Steelers rarely do it though. This might be the year, depending on how the compensatory picks play out.

Now then, one must decide what are the top priorities for the upcoming draft. FA is underway, and the Steelers seem to be making similar moves they make every year to shore up most positions. Nothing spectacular (Peterson is good but aging) as usual.

The one position I really want addressed has not been touched: OT. Despite what some people think, I do not see Moore as a long-term answer. He's had two years as the starter now, and he is still mediocre at best, IMO. Pickett needs to be comfortable in the pocket to take that extra beat to scan the field and find the open guy.

So, for me, OT is the priority, and maybe make a move up for Johnson or Jones. I'm hoping like heck a lot of QBs go before 17 so one of those guys falls. We'll see how it plays out. After OT, the next priority is CB. The Steelers could really use a ball hawking island type of CB, and if none of the OTs are there at 17, I think CB will be there. The leader of this group for me is Cam Smith. No offense to the Gonzalez fans out there, but I watch a lot of Oregon football, and I don't want anything to do with him.

If the Gods hate us and there is no viable option for OT or CB, then I am all in on trading down. Somewhere in the 25-30 range will net a decent pick, plus another 2nd or 3rd, and a 4th or 5th. I don't have  a chart handy, but it should be 3 picks for 1. Or at least 2 picks and maybe a 1st next year.

Only correction is when we speak of these gods we will honor them in the manner in which they deserve.

Lowercase g. (Lack of sovereignty)