Ravens place tag on QB Lamar Jackson; Jackson requests trade (Page 52)

RaidersAreOne

1 minute ago, Soko said:

Even if Lamar was an UFA, you have to do it anyway. There’s no way around that. It’s an annoyance that is absolutely in play whether you get him or not. Yeah, it kinda sucks, but you’d have to dk it anyway. You’re making it sound like this incredible task that teams will do anything to avoid, when it’s a completely unavoidable chore no matter how this plays out. Baltimore would have to do the same if they match, but somehow it’s only a deterrent for the other team.

You make it sound like the offering team recouping 100% of that money is a bad thing. They don’t lose a cent if Baltimore matches. 

Even the Falcon / Panthers ownership groups were unable to commit $250M into escrow on a whim for Watson after months of negotiating with him. The fact that only one player in NFL history has gotten a fully GTD deal on the scale that Lamar is seeking definitely makes it seem like it's an incredible task that most teams and owners are looking to avoid. 

I never said it's a bad thing to recoup the money, I just think you overestimate how much cash NFL owners are sitting on, they invest their money and let it work for them. To move a quarter billion in assets around just to say jk we didn't need it, isn't ideal or something that's easy to do.

3 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Lamar's completing 55% of his passes, 4 TD (3 passing / 1 rushing), 5 interceptions, and 5 fumbles in 4 career playoff games is the epitome of success. Rodgers is 39 and a year ago today he was coming off of an MVP season where he threw 37 TD / 4 INT and now he's done? lmao

Rodgers threw 26 tds and 12 ints last year

32 minutes ago, El Ramster said:

He hasn’t been that guy in 4 years. Or come close to being that guy. 

Exactly. People use qualifiers way too freely to try to make an argument. Lamar won an MVP 4 seasons ago and was never anything approaching that guy before or after. Not all MVP winners are equal. There's perpetually elite guys like Brady, Rodgers, and Peyton Manning. Then there are guys like Cam Newton and Matt Ryan (or Wentz if he won it that one year) who are franchise level and have one big up outlier up year that they don't replicate. Lamar is in that latter category only he's probably closer to Cam in that he's more specialized AND has issues with injuries. 

I wouldn't be in a rush to trade picks or guarantee a ton of money to that guy.

• Like 5

Just now, MKnight82 said:

Rodgers threw 26 tds and 12 ints last year

He ranked 11th in passing yards and 7th in passing TD with Lazard, Watson, and Doubs as his top three weapons in the passing game. The two seasons prior when he had a legitimate #1 WR he threw 85 TD / 9 INT. 

• Like 2

Just now, NYRaider said:

He ranked 11th in passing yards and 7th in passing TD with Lazard, Watson, and Doubs as his top three weapons in the passing game. The two seasons prior when he had a legitimate #1 WR he threw 85 TD / 9 INT. 

Ok.  He also turns 40 in December.  QBs not named Tom Brady fall off a cliff at 40.

Just now, MKnight82 said:

Because one will be 40 in December 

I can understand that take. But watching them play, one has clearly regressed more to this point. It isn't Rodgers. Next year could be different. If I'm wrong, the Jets cut bait in one year. If you're wrong, the Jets are screwed for much longer.

1 minute ago, MKnight82 said:

Ok.  He also turns 40 in December.  QBs not named Tom Brady fall off a cliff at 40.

The fact that he won back to back MVPs at age 37/38 would seemingly indicate that he might be one of the outliers alongside Brady. If you compare Lamar's play to AR's play the last three seasons, Lamar isn't even in the same universe as Rodgers.

• Like 1

Just now, NYRaider said:

Even the Falcon / Panthers ownership groups were unable to commit $250M into escrow on a whim for Watson after months of negotiating with him. The fact that only one player in NFL history has gotten a fully GTD deal on the scale that Lamar is seeking definitely makes it seem like it's an incredible task that most teams and owners are looking to avoid. 

Do you have a source for that?

Not wanting to do something financially is vastly different from not being physically able to, so that’d be news to me. Like, ATL/CAR not wanting to give Watson that deal doesn’t mean the owners literally couldn’t afford it. 

Just now, NYRaider said:

I never said it's a bad thing to recoup the money, I just think you overestimate how much cash NFL owners are sitting on, they invest their money and let it work for them. To move a quarter billion in assets around just to say jk we didn't need it, isn't ideal or something that's easy to do.

If there was another $250M quarterback on the market that they’d be missing out on by tying up dollars, you’d have a fantastic point. But there isn’t one, AFAIK. Baltimore has already made it pretty clear that they aren’t matching that, so it’s quite far from the uncertainty that you’re pretending it is. 

"Yes I'd love to trade multiple first round picks and hand out a market setting contract for a run-first QB in decline who chose not to show up for his teams' ******* playoff game!"

-No GM ever

I feel bad for fans of the teams that end up with both Aaron Rodgers and Lamar Jackson TBH

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

I thought that they can only tag him twice. They can definitely play hard ball but it's a bad look for the organization, IMO

I think the Ravens seem to be winning this from the PR angle. They seem to be handling this perfectly. Today's tweets didn't throw Harbaugh's media interview off at all.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NYRaider said:

The fact that he won back to back MVPs at age 37/38 would seemingly indicate that he might be one of the outliers alongside Brady. If you compare Lamar's play to AR's play the last three seasons, Lamar isn't even in the same universe as Rodgers.

I disagree with your opinion.