The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?

CWood21

3 minutes ago, holt_bruce81 said:

Has the Logan Morrison ship sailed? if we can get him on a 2 year deal, I'd be all for it, even if it would cost us upwards near $30 million. 

I think it was just exploratory interest honestly. Cardinals kick tire on people all the time, or see what FA's are asking for to help them gauge other players values...

1 hour ago, kgarrett12486 said:

I think it was just exploratory interest honestly. Cardinals kick tire on people all the time, or see what FA's are asking for to help them gauge other players values...

I think we have somewhat legit interest. If we would have struck out on Ozuna and the other bats we are interested in, He could have easily been brought in. But I do think we could still make that move, especially if he sits out there, and only garners a 1 or 2 year deal. Plus if we end up moving Wong in some type of deal, he would be a great replacement after sliding Carp over to 2nd.

40 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

I think we have somewhat legit interest. If we would have struck out on Ozuna and the other bats we are interested in, He could have easily been brought in. But I do think we could still make that move, especially if he sits out there, and only garners a 1 or 2 year deal. Plus if we end up moving Wong in some type of deal, he would be a great replacement after sliding Carp over to 2nd.

Possibly, but IMO he'd have to be hanging out there a while and even so I think it'd be hard to convince him to play a platoon role at 1B. Just don't see it materializing...

TBH, I don't see Wong getting moved this off-season...

8 minutes ago, kgarrett12486 said:

Possibly, but IMO he'd have to be hanging out there a while and even so I think it'd be hard to convince him to play a platoon role at 1B. Just don't see it materializing...

TBH, I don't see Wong getting moved this off-season...

I dont think it would be a platoon role. He would be the First Baseman. Right now we have a large hole at 3rd, and we have already heard Matt Carpenter is preparing to play multiple positions.

If we cant get Donaldson (or sign Moustakas, and some are now saying) I would not be surprised that we add another bat, especially one who is not a 3B so we could still pick up Donaldson later this season. And for the time being would be Carpenter/Wong/Gyorko as the platoon between 2nd and 3rd.

Derrick Gould has outlined this in multiple places now. The Cards identified this 2 year window on the Cubs, and they are lining up to take as much advantage of it as they can.

Edited by StLunatic88

26 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

I dont think it would be a platoon role. He would be the First Baseman. Right now we have a large hole at 3rd, and we have already heard Matt Carpenter is preparing to play multiple positions.

If we cant get Donaldson (or sign Moustakas, and some are now saying) I would not be surprised that we add another bat, especially one who is not a 3B so we could still pick up Donaldson later this season. And for the time being would be Carpenter/Wong/Gyorko as the platoon between 2nd and 3rd.

Derrick Gould has outlined this in multiple places now. The Cards identified this 2 year window on the Cubs, and they are lining up to take as much advantage of it as they can.

Huh?  Cubs' window is wide open until 2020 at the earliest, and that's not taking into consideration that they will be throwing around Dodger/Yankee money every year starting in 2019 when they get their new TV deal.  

3 minutes ago, hrubes20 said:

Huh?  Cubs' window is wide open until 2020 at the earliest, and that's not taking into consideration that they will be throwing around Dodger/Yankee money every year starting in 2019 when they get their new TV deal.  

But the Cards window could be shutting after 2 years unless some of these prospects step up in our system....Guys like Waino, Molina will likely be gone. And there's a crap ton of potential Free Agents  in 2-3 years. Ozuna ,Wacha, Carpenter, Gyorko....

2 minutes ago, hrubes20 said:

every year starting in 2019 when they get their new TV deal

That is what is being referenced. They feel they can still spend with them (because of our new TV deal) for this short window. I didnt say the Cubs would be bad, just that there is now this window that they are mostly locked into the roster that they already have. Next year they will bring in Harper, but it probably wont be till 2020 that they can bring in the Pitching to match the lineup they will have.

And I would bet after that window (actually more after the 2020 season) the cardinals will be mostly made up of prospects from their own farm system with a guy or two who they sign as Free Agents. As they have major contracts coming off the books every year from now till then.

3 minutes ago, holt_bruce81 said:

But the Cards window could be shutting after 2 years unless some of these prospects step up in our system....Guys like Waino, Molina will likely be gone. And there's a crap ton of potential Free Agents  in 2-3 years. Ozuna ,Wacha, Carpenter, Gyorko....

Exactly. The only money we have on the books for 2021 is the final year of Fowler (if he still wants to be here at that point) and Carlos with an option for the year after. Plus the possible option for Wong (which I currently have a hard time seeing them exercise)

4 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

Exactly. The only money we have on the books for 2021 is the final year of Fowler (if he still wants to be here at that point) and Carlos with an option for the year after. Plus the possible option for Wong (which I currently have a hard time seeing them exercise)

I actually really liked what i saw from Wonger last year. I think he finally understands that he's not meant to be a 20-25 home run guy. And you can always count on him to at least give you above average defense. There's no one even close to his level currently in the system. Just can't see us trading him anytime soon. and I don't like Carpenter as a 2nd baseman. 

8 minutes ago, holt_bruce81 said:

I actually really liked what i saw from Wonger last year. I think he finally understands that he's not meant to be a 20-25 home run guy. And you can always count on him to at least give you above average defense. There's no one even close to his level currently in the system. Just can't see us trading him anytime soon. and I don't like Carpenter as a 2nd baseman. 

Agreed.  I think he's realized who he is as a player and is content in that.  Not that he's not trying to get better, but he's accepted his role.  Solid contact/on-base guy.  Decent base runner.  Good fielder.  There's no shame in any of that, and that's a valuable role on this team.  

• CWood21 changed the title to The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?