The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?

CWood21

2 hours ago, JonStark said:

Yeah I meant that calling up Dejong was because Sosa was on his way out, instead of it being because Gorman was going to Washington. 

I mean, calling up DeJong doesn't mean that Gorman can't be getting dealt as part of a Soto trade.  The Cardinals would be really thin at the MIF if DeJong wasn't ready to go tonight.

38 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I mean, calling up DeJong doesn't mean that Gorman can't be getting dealt as part of a Soto trade.  The Cardinals would be really thin at the MIF if DeJong wasn't ready to go tonight.

Doesn't mean he isn't but now it's also possible that he might not be. If we called up Dejong and Sosa stayed on the team, it would've been a good indication that Gorman was on his way out. 

2 minutes ago, JonStark said:

Doesn't mean he isn't but now it's also possible that he might not be. If we called up Dejong and Sosa stayed on the team, it would've been a good indication that Gorman was on his way out. 

Assuming DeJong is up here for good, I'd argue that we're probably overstaffed with MIFers (Edman, DeJong, Gorman, and Donovan).  Moving Gorman in a potential Soto deal solidifies our MIF with Edman and DeJong/Donovan starting, and the other as the primary backup.  It hurts our MIF depth in the farm system.  Memphis effectively on has Delvin Perez, Evan Mendoza, and Irving Lopez.  They could promote Masyn Winn, but that's probably a bit premature.

7 minutes ago, kgarrett12486 said:

Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic reports that the Cardinals are pursuing a potential trade with the Athletics for Frankie Montas.

Rosenthal adds that according to sources, the Athletics are seeking some of the same prospects for Montas that the Nationals want for Juan Soto.

Yes to the first part but hell no to the second. 

4 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

No kidding.  If the price is a young MLB piece with significant team control AND two top prospects.

I like Montas, but asking for a Soto-level return for a career 3.73 ERA guy coming off an injury is pretty out there. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JonStark said:

I like Montas, but asking for a Soto-level return for a career 3.73 ERA guy coming off an injury is pretty out there. 

That's the going rate for pitchers right now.  I'd honestly steer clear of him.  He's only thrown 150+ innings once in his career, and that was last year.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MOSteelers56 said:

Mo just said on the broadcast that with, the strength of our major league squad, he doesn't really think of any of our farm guys as untouchable. 

👀👀 👀

That’s what I was trying to say when I was pointing out, if Walker was ready any time next year, we are too jammed up on the Major League roster.

Gotta make some decisions, a Soto deal would make that a lot easier 

'Bob Nightengale of USA Today reports that the Dodgers have been "much more aggressive of late" than the Padres or Cardinals in their trade proposals for Juan Soto.'

Jordan Walker hit 2 more HR's last night. I just don't see Mo parting with him. It looks like it's gonna be another bidding war between Padres and Dodges (same as last year for Scherzer) for Soto. if the Dodgers land him, good night NL. They've become the 90's Yankees, but smarter.