The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?

CWood21

5 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

Very well could be, but I think this Bader injury has thrown a wrench into the whole thing. If we send out Carlson in this deal, and Bader never gets his foot right this season what do you do in CF for the important games?

No doubt. I think you'd be hoping that Bader can be playable by season end. In interim you can plug CF with Nootbar (who's played there recently and was not a liability). O'Neill and Edman can always spot fill-in too, as both have in past. 

Could also see us swinging a deal for CF glove type - ala Michael A. Taylor. to fill the void for the stretch run too. 

36 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

I shouldn’t have said Winn, that’s fair. But everyone outside of Carlson/Walker/Winn are just the added pieces to a deal for the caliber of player like Soto. And I think we are basically offering the Nats to pick one of those three, and then the amount/level of added pieces are dependent on that starting piece. 

I also think that Bader’s injury is going to have us leaning more toward keeping Carlson right now, because a big piece of this is being able to make a run this year. 

You ask if we are going to rely on DeJong, but atleast we know he has done it before. Why so many of you are blindly assuming Gorman can be any better than him, especially as a rookie in a playoff situation, surprises me.

Its one thing to be hopeful about a prospects future, but that future could still be 2 years from now, even with them already in the majors

Yeah I agree with most of that. I do put Gorman in the Carlson/Walker/Winn tier but I get why you're skeptical. If Carlson and Gorman would a few other prospects (not Tink) would get it done, I could get on board with it. A MIF of Edman, Dejong, and Donovan is solid enough for the big three to make up for. My main dealbreaker right now is if they want Carlson and Walker. 

According to Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic, the Padres "still seem to be the most motivated to give the Nationals what they want."

Rosenthal adds that the Dodgers remain in the mix, but not at the Nationals' current asking price, and that their significant lead in the NL West creates less urgency than last year when they moved to acquire Max Scherzer and Trea Turner at the deadline. Rosenthal notes that the Cardinals' intentions are "less clear," adding that they might prefer to "continue loading up on pitching." 

7 minutes ago, kgarrett12486 said:

Heyman saying Padres and Nats are aggressive in talks for Soto and Josh Bell together in package. 

😵

Makes sense. I still think the hook is Corbin in this whole thing too, even if it's not 100% of the salary. 

1 hour ago, MikeT14 said:

Makes sense. I still think the hook is Corbin in this whole thing too, even if it's not 100% of the salary. 

I think they want a haul of prospects that they just cant say no to, and no one is actually giving them that. Hence them tossing in Bell for the Padres deal. They dont care what Bell goes for, but it makes it look like the return for Soto is even larger.

I still think we are giving them the best offer, but they cant convince themselves to make the deal. Not much you can do about that, just hope weve given a deadline and are ready to pivot to a high leverage starter this evening (i.e. Rodon/Lopez)

Edited by StLunatic88
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, ttitansfan4life said:

Is anybody shocked at this point? Soto was never happening with Mo and DeWitt

LMAO, it was at the very finish line with us and all reports indicate that if we would've been willing to include Carlson, Nats probably would've taken our deal. So yah, that thought is complete BS and reactional. 

1 minute ago, StLunatic88 said:

Yea, theyve never pulled off a trade for one of the best players in the game before 🤡

Right! I mean we've only brought in (2) of the biggest superstars in the game via trade the last handful of off-seasons. 

It's never enough though lol. You can't please him. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, kgarrett12486 said:

LMAO, it was at the very finish line with us and all reports indicate that if we would've been willing to include Carlson, Nats probably would've taken our deal. So yah, that thought is complete BS and reactional. 

If adding DC was the hold up, that tells me it was close so Walker was probably already in the offer and we didn't want to do both which I agree with. Based off the return with Bell included though, I think we could've gotten it done with a DC/Gorman centered package. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, JonStark said:

If adding DC was the hold up, that tells me it was close so Walker was probably already in the offer and we didn't want to do both which I agree with. Based off the return with Bell included though, I think we could've gotten it done with a DC/Gorman centered package. 

Seeing this return, I dont know that it was. Feels like they liked Gore a whole lot more than Liberatore, and wouldnt be shocked if they wanted all three if Carlson, Walker and Winn from us

We tried to say pick one, and we will give you Gorman in addition to that player

Edited by StLunatic88