The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?

CWood21

4 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Soto is a generational hitter that's not even 24 yet. That's 100% an absolutely type move. 

Soto is Amazing, Im not disputing that. But you are also only getting him for 2+ years. To even say it was a 30% chance the Cardinals are able to sign him long term would be generous.

Again, I would have done it, but its not absolutely. We would have had to pull too much from our Major League roster to get done. We would have not had a solution in CF for this potential playoff run. Getting the impact for 2022 outweighed the impact he would have had for '23 and '24, due to the current down division and the "last ride" wave they are trying to catch.

If Harrison Bader was healthy, even if he was still hitting .225, I think this deal gets done. But to upgrade one bat over another (possibly 2 depending on Gorman/Winn) but really hurt your defense up the middle is a trade off you have to factor in. 

1 minute ago, StLunatic88 said:

Soto is Amazing, Im not disputing that. But you are also only getting him for 2+ years. To even say it was a 30% chance the Cardinals are able to sign him long term would be generous.

Again, I would have done it, but its not absolutely. We would have had to pull too much from our Major League roster to get done. We would have not had a solution in CF for this potential playoff run. Getting the impact for 2022 outweighed the impact he would have had for '23 and '24, due to the current down division and the "last ride" wave they are trying to catch.

If Harrison Bader was healthy, even if he was still hitting .225, I think this deal gets done. But to upgrade one bat over another (possibly 2 depending on Gorman/Winn) but really hurt your defense up the middle is a trade off you have to factor in. 

It's 100% an absolutely. Not gonna change my mind there. You can address CF with another move if need be. Go get Michael Taylor or some other stop gap. 

13 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

It's 100% an absolutely. Not gonna change my mind there. You can address CF with another move if need be. Go get Michael Taylor or some other stop gap. 

Sounds about right for the internet.

Very few things are Absolutes in this world, and this for sure isnt one of them

5 hours ago, ttitansfan4life said:

Is anybody shocked at this point? Soto was never happening with Mo and DeWitt

I don't think it's necessarily that they didn't want him.  They're just not going to sell the farm for any one player.

5 hours ago, kgarrett12486 said:

Right! I mean we've only brought in (2) of the biggest superstars in the game via trade the last handful of off-seasons. 

It's never enough though lol. You can't please him. 

I'm really not in the business of praising someone for doing what majority of the teams in the league would do when they swallowed Arenado's contract.  That was a no brainer.