The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?

CWood21

32 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

Yea, theyve never pulled off a trade for one of the best players in the game before 🤡

Don’t compare the Nats to the DBacks and Colorado as far as front offices. Mo fleeced those two teams because they’re both terrible organizations with garbage FOs. And yea I’m the clown because I’m tired of a team that competes for a WC every year just to lose. A team that doesn’t address the issues in the offseason like they’re supposed to. Pitching was the biggest need in the offseason and they’re solution was signing a bum like Matz and VerHagen. Yea I’m the clown…. That’s fine, you’re happy with mediocrity, I’m not.

Edited by ttitansfan4life

2 minutes ago, ttitansfan4life said:

Don’t compare the Nats to the DBacks and Colorado as far as front offices. Mo fleeced those two teams because they’re both terrible organizations with garbage FOs.

So why didnt the other 27 teams fleece those garbage FOs for two of the best players in baseball? Or why didnt they offer more than the crumbs we gave them? 

You can want more out of this team, but the junk you say is absolutely laughable. You act like a petulant child about this team, the worst side of BFIBs

• Like 1

Just now, StLunatic88 said:

Would you have given this up for Soto?

• Dylan Carlson
  • Jordan Walker
  • Mason Winn
  • Mathew Liberatore
  • Gordon Graceffo

I wouldn't have. DC and Walker in the same deal would've been my deal breaker. 

Seeing it taken away from us, I'm realizing I would've given more than I originally thought, but not those two together. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, kgarrett12486 said:

Dennis Lin of The Athletic reports that Eric Hosmer will have to waive his no-trade clause to be included in the Padres' trade with the Nationals for Juan Soto and Josh Bell. Apparently Hosmer will require a 'significant' extension to consider.

yea but its not going to stop the trade. They will just adjust it. Maybe no more Josh Bell, maybe swapping of one of the prospects for another.

11 minutes ago, kgarrett12486 said:

I don't think I would've. It would of had to be either Carlson or Walker for me. Not both. 

I think that might be what it would have taken to get him.

Gore and Susana likely equal out to Libertore and Graceffo. Wood and Winn are often rated closely on prospect lists (although the upside of Wood feels even higher than Winn) and then Abrams and Hassell seem like a similar value to Walker and Carlson.

Walker/Carlson might be more valuable in our deal, but they have the best pitcher in their deal, and overall more years of control. If we wouldnt get/want Bell, maybe Winn is subbed for Gorman. But in the end I dont think we were close to offering Walker + Carlson, and definitely wouldnt have added Winn in with both of them.

I didnt think anyone would come over the top of our offer, but the Padres finally went for it

20 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Absolutely 

Its not an "absolutely". I understand saying yes, do that deal, and I probably would have. But Absolutely says we would be stealing him. (and honestly I think it might have cost even more than that to beat SD offer, like Burleson and maybe another arm) 

Its an organizational philosophy thing, and in order to keep going like they do (hand full of highly paid stars, and good young players/rookies to supplement) you cant give up all of those pieces.

They gambled that they had the best offer and lost. They had it until this morning when the Pads threw caution to the wind, that happens.

Some will try to spin it and say "Mo was just posturing, he was never serious" which is nonsense. They will probably regret this (mostly for 2023) but they could also be hanging onto the future of the team for the next 7+ years with Walker/Winn and others

Edited by StLunatic88
  • Like 1

Here is my final thought on it. If Harrison Bader was healthy, or even if he wasn't but wasn't dealing with a potential career altering injury, I think we'd have been a lot more willing to include Carlson.

With his uncertainty and the fact that you don't have anyone on the roster or in the system ready to step into those CF shoes long-term, it made it hard to part with him.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, StLunatic88 said:

Its not an "absolutely". I understand saying yes, do that deal, and I probably would have. But Absolutely says we would be stealing him. (and honestly I think it might have cost even more than that to beat SD offer, like Burleson and maybe another arm) 

Its an organizational philosophy thing, and in order to keep going like they do (hand full of highly paid stars, and good young players/rookies to supplement) you cant give up all of those pieces.

They gambled that they had the best offer and lost. They had it until this morning when the Pads threw caution to the wind, that happens.

Some will try to spin it and say "Mo was just posturing, he was never serious" which is nonsense. They will probably regret this (mostly for 2023) but they could also be hanging onto the future of the team for the next 7+ years with Walker/Winn and others

Soto is a generational hitter that's not even 24 yet. That's 100% an absolutely type move.