The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?

CWood21

3 hours ago, kgarrett12486 said:

Rather have Soto, as the haul is gonna be about the same for both.

Younger, less chance of injury, more control (2.5 years vs 1.5) and we'd have like a 20% chance of re0signing Soto vs. 0% with Otani (who said when he came over he only wants to play on west or east coast). 

Didn't know that last part. Scratch that then. 

I feel more confident than ever before that Soto will be a Cardinal after the weekend 

But at the same time, I’m even more lost on what that package will be than ever before

Still think we pull a SP too, but not one of the ones being most talked about (Montas/Thor)

20 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

I feel more confident than ever before that Soto will be a Cardinal after the weekend 

But at the same time, I’m even more lost on what that package will be than ever before

Still think we pull a SP too, but not one of the ones being most talked about (Montas/Thor)

I think the fact that Dejong is coming up is a sign that Gorman is heading to Washington. I just also hope that means Carlson and Walker are somehow left out of the deal. 

That being said, apparently someone is interested in Sosa so Dejong's promotion could mean nothing except that Sosa is headed out. Going to be an interesting few days for sure. 

16 minutes ago, JonStark said:

That being said, apparently someone is interested in Sosa so Dejong's promotion could mean nothing except that Sosa is headed out. Going to be an interesting few days for sure. 

I think the Sosa stuff has more to do with what we’ve found in Donovan, and not so much the Soto talks

i do wonder if we would just be getting prospects back for him? Or are we trying to find an innings eater? Or maybe a PB arm? Probably prospects because it’s likely someone in the hunt 

Speaking of BP arms, I do wonder if we are trying to squeeze Cishek or Edwards into a Soto deal, especially if it ends up being more Prospect oriented 

(New guess is; Gorman + Liberatore + Winn + Graceffo + Burleson)

• Like 1

22 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

Seems like FO forgot the draft was going on that day and selected the safest pick at every spot lol

Definitely feels like that.  I think I read on one of the articles that they were going into the draft looking to supplement their farm system with some quick movers.  I've warmed up to Hjerpe a bit, but the throwing motion still scares the crap out of me.  Pete Hansen is probably one of my favorite picks for the Cardinals, and if they can unlock a few more MPH on that fastball he's going to be a steal. 

2 hours ago, JonStark said:

I think the fact that Dejong is coming up is a sign that Gorman is heading to Washington. I just also hope that means Carlson and Walker are somehow left out of the deal. 

Edmundo Sosa being potentially dealt is probably not part of the Juan Soto deal.  He's struggled badly this year, and he's out of MILB options so someone would likely claim him.  If they can get a legitimate lottery ticket in return, I'd move him.

2 hours ago, StLunatic88 said:

I think the Sosa stuff has more to do with what we’ve found in Donovan, and not so much the Soto talks

i do wonder if we would just be getting prospects back for him? Or are we trying to find an innings eater? Or maybe a PB arm? Probably prospects because it’s likely someone in the hunt 

Speaking of BP arms, I do wonder if we are trying to squeeze Cishek or Edwards into a Soto deal, especially if it ends up being more Prospect oriented 

(New guess is; Gorman + Liberatore + Winn + Graceffo + Burleson)

For Sosa, you're probably either getting a high upside lottery ticket at a low-level or a relief arm.  Aside from the fact that he plays SS, there's not really much going for him with how poorly his bat has played this year.  He didn't walk a ton to begin with, but he's walking less and his strikeouts are way up.  Someone who is looking to improve their MIF might have interest in him, but there's just not much in the way there.

I'd be VERY surprised if the trade didn't include one of Jordan Walker or Dylan Carlson.  And I had heard (don't remember where tbh) that the Cardinals weren't willing to include Masyn Winn in any Soto deal.  And that might be why we're hearing the smoke regarding Nolan Gorman.  It wouldn't surprise me if the bulk of the package being offered was Dylan Carlson, Nolan Gorman, and Gordon Graceffo for Juan Soto.  Maybe a follow-up trade of Liberatore for Montas?

14 minutes ago, ttitansfan4life said:

One of those random trash for trash trades

Pretty much.  He's your traditional AAAA arm.  This was about the option.  Nothing more.  Would have been nice to get an interesting young arm in return.

3 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Edmundo Sosa being potentially dealt is probably not part of the Juan Soto deal.  He's struggled badly this year, and he's out of MILB options so someone would likely claim him.  If they can get a legitimate lottery ticket in return, I'd move him.

Yeah I meant that calling up Dejong was because Sosa was on his way out, instead of it being because Gorman was going to Washington.