The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?

CWood21

6 hours ago, kgarrett12486 said:

The Twins gave up next to nothing to get SP Jake Odorizzi from the Rays. 

I think Mo & Co have a much higher valuation of our internal options than most fans do. That has been VERY apparent this offseason. The only new SP arm we were ever really connected to was Archer, a clear upgrade over who we already have. We have been talking innings allocation alot this offseason, but from what I have heard, they are only worried about watching Reyes. They are going into the season expecting the other 5 guys give us a full slate of innings (Weaver, Wacha and Wainwright included) So until one of them breaks, we are expecting a full load, and then will supplement with the 4 Prospect Arms that we have close enough to Major League ready (this includes Reyes)

I am still VERY sure that MO expected us to get Josh Donaldson. I have heard a few more people in the know around St. Louis mention either a big bat we missed (mentioned Stanton separately) or outright a deal that fell though. And with Donaldson basically saying he'll be a free agent means Toronto isnt offering him anywhere near what he wants.

I wouldnt be surprised if a trade still happened in the first couple of months of the season, not even a deadline deal.

8 hours ago, kgarrett12486 said:

The Twins gave up next to nothing to get SP Jake Odorizzi from the Rays. 

Sure would have liked to see us make that move. He would have given us quality innings as a #3 or #4. I'm still not sure where we're going to get some of these innings. I know they young guys, but with injuries that are inevitable and them all being on innings limits + the unknown of Wainwright and potentially Wacha it's gonna be interesting...

Honestly, we have enough good, but not great SP options.  Is Odorizzi really any better than the current options?  Maybe if Waino or Wacha isn't healthy, you could make an argument that Odorizzi is needed.  Maybe you make an argument that Miles Mikolas is worse than Odorizzi.  I don't think the Cardinals were really interested in another SP, unless it was a clear upgrade like Chris Archer was.  You've got the current rotation (Martinez, Wacha, Waino, Mikolas, and Weaver), and then you've got Jack Flaherty and Dakota Hudson in Memphis if needed.  And at some point, you'd imagine that Alex Reyes will be inserted into the rotation.

2 hours ago, StLunatic88 said:

I think Mo & Co have a much higher valuation of our internal options than most fans do. That has been VERY apparent this offseason. The only new SP arm we were ever really connected to was Archer, a clear upgrade over who we already have. We have been talking innings allocation alot this offseason, but from what I have heard, they are only worried about watching Reyes. They are going into the season expecting the other 5 guys give us a full slate of innings (Weaver, Wacha and Wainwright included) So until one of them breaks, we are expecting a full load, and then will supplement with the 4 Prospect Arms that we have close enough to Major League ready (this includes Reyes)

No doubt.  I think the Cardinals have a TON of faith in their young arms, in particular Wacha and Weaver.  Probably more than fans do.

5 hours ago, StLunatic88 said:

I am still VERY sure that MO expected us to get Josh Donaldson. I have heard a few more people in the know around St. Louis mention either a big bat we missed (mentioned Stanton separately) or outright a deal that fell though. And with Donaldson basically saying he'll be a free agent means Toronto isnt offering him anywhere near what he wants.

I wouldnt be surprised if a trade still happened in the first couple of months of the season, not even a deadline deal.

I think there's little doubt that they didn't plan on just landing one bat.  But our offense looks a LOT better than it did just a few months ago.  I think they'd still like to get Josh Donaldson, but it seems like Toronto is going to be bull headed about holding onto him despite contract discussions going nowhere.

1 hour ago, MOSteelers56 said:

Machado smacked a grand slam.

Why didn't Mo trade the entire farm system for him????? Yet another FAIL for this current FO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Again... What!?

It seems like you guys really need some meaningful baseball in your lives, quickly.

Machado wasnt really available, it is that simple. Stanton was barely available, Donaldson was fake available, Machado was never actually available.

22 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

Again... What!?

It seems like you guys really need some meaningful baseball in your lives, quickly.

Machado wasnt really available, it is that simple. Stanton was barely available, Donaldson was fake available, Machado was never actually available.

I was hoping the extreme amounts of punctuation would reveal my sarcasm. Apparently, I was wrong.