Raiders sign QB Jimmy Garoppolo (3 years, $67.5M, $34M gtd)

RaidersAreOne

On 4/10/2023 at 12:01 PM, NickButera said:

I struggle to come up with a term for it, but not many QB's can be successful when they just show up to do their job and go home, and don't put much into the team chemistry aspect. DE's, CB's, WR's, TE's, lots of other positions can get away with that but rarely QB's. 

He rode the wave of his teammates and coaches and didn’t mess up too bad. 

On 4/15/2023 at 6:12 AM, jimkelly02 said:

He rode the wave of his teammates and coaches and didn’t mess up too bad. 

I truly believe we are about to see Jimmy G get his butt handed to him.  He was lucky to play for the Patriots and 9ers with two amazing defenses and some really great coaching and now he is about to play with what will most likely be a bottom 3 defense.  For some reason I don't think our offense is going to gel either.

Hopefully I'm wrong and we have a top 3 defense and our offense somehow beats Mahomes twice this season and takes the division.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Jerry said:

I truly believe we are about to see Jimmy G get his butt handed to him.  He was lucky to play for the Patriots and 9ers with two amazing defenses and some really great coaching and now he is about to play with what will most likely be a bottom 3 defense.  For some reason I don't think our offense is going to gel either.

Hopefully I'm wrong and we have a top 3 defense and our offense somehow beats Mahomes twice this season and takes the division.

What makes you feel this way? Defense is clearly a work in progress, but offense has good talent to be balanced. 

1 hour ago, Jerry said:

If Jimmy can stay clean and upright, he could do alright. 

The WR corps is probably the best he's played with overall at present, the RB group is arguably a wash though I'd go Raiders given how often SF RBs went down. HooperlHoward are no Gronk/Little/etc,, but still. 

I don't think he'll set the world on fire, but aside from the OL play, this is possibly his best overall supporting cast though I'm willing to listen to SF as having better weapons. 

Can he play from behind/catch up? That's the key question. We don't really know, though I think there's a better than not chance he can. I honestly never understood the Jimmy-Shanahan fit myself. Seemed a bit like a flavor of the week move when it first happened and they just made do as strange bedfellows since the wins were coming in. 

21 hours ago, big_palooka said:

What makes you feel this way? Defense is clearly a work in progress, but offense has good talent to be balanced. 

Jimmy's time outside of the offense so he'll have to relearn it.  I mean I guess there isn't much to learn if you just do exactly what the HC tells you to do. 

Jacobs is currently disgruntled.  I'm honestly basing his being disgruntled on the fact that he hasn't signed the franchise tag or whatever it's called and not showing up for voluntary practice which I mean I understand he doesn't have to but if he was truly happy, he'd probably want to practice with his new QB. 

Jimmy also has to develop chemistry with the WRs who he hasn't played with before (pretty sure that's all of them right?).  That takes time right?  Will one offseason be enough? 

Absolutely no real depth anywhere other than WR and even after Adams, Renfrow (who may not be a fit in this offense), and J. Meyers, I don't really know who we have after that. Like imagine if K. Miller goes down or if Jacobs goes down or if we lose D. Adams.  Do we really feel confident in our offense if we lose any one of them?  Our offensive output drops dramatically if we lose any one of those guys. 

Our TEs are new to the system as well right?  So they'll need to learn this offense as well.

I just don't see things going well.

On a separate note, K. Miller is so underrated and not talked about enough though.  Serious shoutout to that guy.  Super glad the Raiders at least did that well.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, ronjon1990 said:

If Jimmy can stay clean and upright, he could do alright. 

The WR corps is probably the best he's played with overall at present, the RB group is arguably a wash though I'd go Raiders given how often SF RBs went down. HooperlHoward are no Gronk/Little/etc,, but still. 

I don't think he'll set the world on fire, but aside from the OL play, this is possibly his best overall supporting cast though I'm willing to listen to SF as having better weapons. 

Can he play from behind/catch up? That's the key question. We don't really know, though I think there's a better than not chance he can. I honestly never understood the Jimmy-Shanahan fit myself. Seemed a bit like a flavor of the week move when it first happened and they just made do as strange bedfellows since the wins were coming in. 

I think the question and answer to all of this is whether or not the Raiders have the talent to compete, and the answer right now is they don't.  I think we are about to be a 4-5 win team this season.  I'm typically never this pessimistic but I'm starting to look at this team like it's about to be 2002 to 2014.  Not saying we can't become competitive, just saying we're far from it right now.

1 minute ago, Jerry said:

I think the question and answer to all of this is whether or not the Raiders have the talent to compete, and the answer right now is they don't.  I think we are about to be a 4-5 win team this season.  I'm typically never this pessimistic but I'm starting to look at this team like it's about to be 2002 to 2014.  Not saying we can't become competitive, just saying we're far from it right now.

Definitely no disagreement here

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Jerry said:

I agree.  I think it’s borderline ridiculous to look at our defense and think a couple draft picks are going to fix things…. Especially from game 1 on.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, jimkelly02 said:

I agree.  I think it’s borderline ridiculous to look at our defense and think a couple draft picks are going to fix things…. Especially from game 1 on.

It's Maxx Crosby and 10 wet paper towels (1/2 ply).

• Like 2

2 hours ago, jimkelly02 said:

Of course it is. It's a 3 year rebuild on defense given the disaster of draft picks from Gruden/Mayock. Problem is, nobody wants to give them time to rebuild it. 

2 hours ago, Jerry said:

Jimmy's time outside of the offense so he'll have to relearn it.  I mean I guess there isn't much to learn if you just do exactly what the HC tells you to do. 

Jacobs is currently disgruntled.  I'm honestly basing his being disgruntled on the fact that he hasn't signed the franchise tag or whatever it's called and not showing up for voluntary practice which I mean I understand he doesn't have to but if he was truly happy, he'd probably want to practice with his new QB. 

Jimmy also has to develop chemistry with the WRs who he hasn't played with before (pretty sure that's all of them right?).  That takes time right?  Will one offseason be enough? 

Absolutely no real depth anywhere other than WR and even after Adams, Renfrow (who may not be a fit in this offense), and J. Meyers, I don't really know who we have after that. Like imagine if K. Miller goes down or if Jacobs goes down or if we lose D. Adams.  Do we really feel confident in our offense if we lose any one of them?  Our offensive output drops dramatically if we lose any one of those guys. 

Our TEs are new to the system as well right?  So they'll need to learn this offense as well.

I just don't see things going well.

On a separate note, K. Miller is so underrated and not talked about enough though.  Serious shoutout to that guy.  Super glad the Raiders at least did that well.

Interesting thing JG said of the offense and his excitement to be back in it is how much control the QB has. From his comments, sounds as if he expects to be fully in control under center. 

Jacobs, I think it's normal for franchise players to hold out of offseason activities while trying to get a long term contract. Barkley is doing the same in NY. 

Depth, this is largely the issue with poor roster construction in the past. To many failed draft picks, etc. But this offense is setup for RBs to be successful and there is decent depth across the offense. Defense is more the issue. Top to bottom the roster is thin on that side. 

10 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Interesting thing JG said of the offense and his excitement to be back in it is how much control the QB has. From his comments, sounds as if he expects to be fully in control under center.

If it's true what he said, I think there are two logic possibilities (for me) why JG said he's got more control:

1.) BB has more control on the patriots offense than we thought, and he controlled the "strictness" of JMD in NE.

2.) JMD is the kind of person who says "learn the offense. understand the offense. and then you can come back to talk about what we could do".

• Like 1

20 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Of course it is. It's a 3 year rebuild on defense given the disaster of draft picks from Gruden/Mayock. Problem is, nobody wants to give them time to rebuild it. 

Not gonna argue the crapped away picks, at all. But Jones, Nichols, averette sure didn’t help either. And no bp I’m not saying we should’ve signed this guy or that. But several knew Jones was especially risky given that the season before 5 of his sacks came in one game early in the season. That’s something zigs should’ve really examined harder, that’s why I say I hope he’s learning from previous mistakes. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, big_palooka said:

If you see failures year 1 and then don’t see any progress for year 2…. It doesn’t take a genuis to be be concerned that by year 3 there won’t be the progress necessary for the regime to be around.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, jimkelly02 said:

If you see failures year 1 and then don’t see any progress for year 2…. It doesn’t take a genuis to be be concerned that by year 3 there won’t be the progress necessary for the regime to be around.

this a make or break year for DZ/McDaniels. Which is why I kinda hope we skip QB this year, even though I want AR-15. Mcdaniels wanted to blame DC for last year, let him ride or die with JimmyG.

Hire a new GM with connections around the league. Let him pick the next coach and hold the coach accountable, not just hire one of his boys. The new regime would be able to pick their QB of the future in 2024 too. 

Edited by Humble_Beast
  • Like 1