Bears Sign LB Tremaine Edmunds 4yr/$72m

CBears019

Have to laugh at the people saying Edmunds was only good for 1 season and this was a risky contract...I have posted this before but just for anyone who missed it...

Tremaine Edmunds...74 Games...565 tackles...32 TFL...6.5 sacks...18 QBH...5 INT...35 PBU

Fred Warner...81 Games...634 tackles...25 TFL...6.5 sacks...23 QBH...4 INT...35 PBU

Edmunds is still only 24 years old...crazy upside.

• Like 4

19 hours ago, G08 said:

I have been saying Edmunds may play Mike on twitter and here.  Everyone says no way.  Of course he will play will.  

He played Mike in Buffalo.   I had Sanborn at Mike and Edwards at Will until they signed Edmunds and then I thought same as Briggs.

They also act like Will is so much more important than Mike in Eberflus defense.   It isn't.   Traditionally the Mike is more important in that defense.  

I think people are saying that because Darius Leonard was so dominant at Will under Eberflus.   

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

I have been saying Edmunds may play Mike on twitter and here.  Everyone says no way.  Of course he will play will.  

He played Mike in Buffalo.   I had Sanborn at Mike and Edwards at Will until they signed Edmunds and then I thought same as Briggs.

They also act like Will is so much more important than Mike in Eberflus defense.   It isn't.   Traditionally the Mike is more important in that defense.  

I think people are saying that because Darius Leonard was so dominant at Will under Eberflus.   

I don't think they gave him the deal they did to play WILL. Poles made it abundantly clear he doesn't value that position as much as other GM's and even Eberflus. I'd be pretty surprised if Edmunds isn't primarily at MIKE

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

I don't think they gave him the deal they did to play WILL. Poles made it abundantly clear he doesn't value that position as much as other GM's and even Eberflus. I'd be pretty surprised if Edmunds isn't primarily at MIKE

It's essentially same defense as Lovie Smith, but with less Tampa 2 with Mike dropping to deep middle.  

Mike is vital regardless.  Actually with Tremaine's height and speed you may see a lot more Tampa 2.   You need a Mike who can do that to run it and they don't grow on trees.

6'5 250 lb LBers who run really fast are not common.

You couldn't do it with Roquan, he is too little.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dll2000 said:

It's essentially same defense as Lovie Smith, but with less Tampa 2 with Mike dropping to deep middle.  

Mike is vital regardless.  Actually with Tremaine's height and speed you may see a lot more Tampa 2.   You need a Mike who can do that to run it and they don't grow on trees.

Prediction.

Now wait for all the Bears beat podcasters to catch up with this take.  

It will come later.    Wait and listen.   They will hear it somewhere and repeat it like they thought of it.

Maybe from Briggs.  Or who knows maybe a few read this forum.

52 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Sanborn should slot in just fine at SLB now and keep the Matt Adamses of the world on ST. 

• Like 1

WILL is an important part of this defense, but you simply do not find 6'5" 253 lbs dudes with 34.5" arms who run a 4.54.

That is an ELITE seam runner for our defensive scheme. Buffalo sorely missed him when he was injured last season.

He's our MIKE.

6 minutes ago, G08 said:

WILL is an important part of this defense, but you simply do not find 6'5" 253 lbs dudes with 34.5" arms who run a 4.54.

That is an ELITE seam runner for our defensive scheme. Buffalo sorely missed him when he was injured last season.

He's our MIKE.

I think so too. Especially with TJ also fully capable of both playing WLB and being really good at it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AZBearsFan said:

Sanborn should slot in just fine at SLB now and keep the Matt Adamses of the world on ST. 

Hoge said Flus stated last year that his ideal Sam was good at specials and could fill in at either Mike or Will.   

Who does that describe? 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, dll2000 said:

This is where I came to believe it as well. I honestly think the spots will be pretty fluid, though Edmunds is slated for the MIKE he will play some in different spots too.

I keep looking back at Eberflus' guys in IND and Walker Jr was his MIKE. Not a stellar athlete but could chase and make tackles all over. But that was likely an adaptation for Walker Jr due to his physical limitations. He will adapt the scheme to what the players do best IMO, just like how he adapted the SAM slightly when he went to Adams and Okereke playing that spot. He has said the SAM is the heavy dude who sets the edge. Well they are both 235 or less so they clearly aren't big guys who do well at the POA.

So for instance I think there are times we may see Sanborn at the MIKE and Edmunds at the SAM, likely only when the Bears are in an Under formation, since that is essentially a 5-2. Sanborn is more than stout enough to set an edge and would so well there, but Edmunds has the speed/length to present as a hell of a passrusher in stunts and when overloading a side. That leaves Sanborn to scrape to the ball if a run play still, which is his strength anyway.

Hopefully they get some more talent on DL since I still expect to be one of the lightest blitzing teams in the league. They were at only 18% (for 8th least) and barely hit the QB (20 knockdowns in 17 games). Oddly enough they had one of the highest hurrying rates in the league, but too often the QB was completely clean at the end of the game.

• Like 1