Lions sign RB David Montgomery (3 years, $18M)

RaidersAreOne

38 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

Surprising to me that Detroit didn't just stick with Williams though.  He seemed to fit well there, and he has a bit more of an "identity" as a runner.

Word is, the Lions and Williams were far apart on contract numbers. They wanted to re-sign him. Will be interesting to see what he signs for elsewhere.

David Montgomery is one hell of a replacement RB though. We've seen him first hand in Detroit facing him twice a season the last few years. Reportedly, his contract is guaranteed the first two seasons, so Lions could cut him after two with no real dead money. 

2 hours ago, Louis Friend said:

Word is, the Lions and Williams were far apart on contract numbers. They wanted to re-sign him. Will be interesting to see what he signs for elsewhere.

David Montgomery is one hell of a replacement RB though. We've seen him first hand in Detroit facing him twice a season the last few years. Reportedly, his contract is guaranteed the first two seasons, so Lions could cut him after two with no real dead money. 

I see Williams going to the Saints to be reunited with his old BYU boy Taysom Hill.

Edited by NudeTayne
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, NudeTayne said:

Counterpoint: Williams and Montgomery are very different backs. Williams could still come back on like a 1/$5mil.

I would love it if he did. But by all accounts, Williams is getting multiple teams interest and getting much more than a 1 yr deal for cheap. 

3 minutes ago, Louis Friend said:

I would love it if he did. But by all accounts, Williams is getting multiple teams interest and getting much more than a 1 yr deal for cheap. 

I love him on the Lions and always thought he was underrated in Green Bay, though I understand why they moved on when they have two good backs.

Edited by NudeTayne
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Louis Friend said:

Fair enough.  If the numbers don't make sense, you have to go in a different direction.

Feels like a pretty risky proposition for Williams, where RBs just don't tend to command that sort of value in today's league very often.  Especially as they get up there in age.  But if there are other teams interested...presumably he'll end up a bit closer to his asking price?

2 hours ago, NudeTayne said:

Counterpoint: Williams and Montgomery are very different backs. Williams could still come back on like a 1/$5mil.

I suppose this is also still possible.  Although it doesn't sound very likely, and would be a lot to tie up in veteran RBs.  The other thing is, they are very different backs...but the one aspect where they're actually pretty similar, is that they're both real "bell cow" types.  Guys who you want to feed volume carries to if you're going to get the absolute most "value" out of them.  Those two in the same backfield just seems like bigtime overkill and redundancy, even though they're pretty different ~styles~ of runner.