2023 Draft Discussion (Day2pg18)

Chiefs_5627

42 minutes ago, RedGold said:

You desire a TE, but we have Noah Gray.   Who is equally as league average of a TE,  as Nnadi/Wharton are at DT.  

Nnadi perhaps but I think you underestimate Wharton.

40 minutes ago, mayanfootball said:

J.......you're just muddying up the water with semantics. I won't play that game

You asked and already are playing that game. 

2 hours ago, RedGold said:

You desire a TE, but we have Noah Gray.   Who is equally as league average of a TE,  as Nnadi/Wharton are at DT.  

Kelce: 152 targets - 110 rec - 1,338 yds - 12 TD

Gray: 34 targets - 28 rec - 299 yds - 1 TD

Gray (projected 152 targets): 125 rec - 1,337 yds - 5 TD

I'm not saying Gray will "be the next Kelce". But there's some similarities in stats when projecting him out to similar targets. Kelce had a 72.4% catch rate while Gray had an 82.4%; which is higher than Kelce has ever had. Yes, I know that it could drop off if/when he gets more targets. But until that happens, I won't project it. I think continuing to develop Gray will pay out in the long term and he'll be better than league average.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, onejayhawk said:

The closest thing to a need we have is at TE and that's a long term need. 

I whole heartedly disagree.  MVS hasn’t proven anything, he has a chance last season to blow up and quite literally dropped the ball.  Continued development of Moore and Toney hopefully pay dividends, but another season for MVS like last season and he’s bye bye which at minimum puts WR at or ahead of TE because at this point Killa Trav hasn’t shown any signs of retiring or slowing down (big knock on wood happening).

Second, how about tackle? We have 1 proven starter and a couple of guys who can’t even get or stay on the field.  That’s WELL below your league average threshold.  The best guy we have might play in basically an entirely new position.  Bottom line is another player with high level talent could certainly be said to be more important than possibly our 3rd string TE.

Edge - GK (not the Greek Freak, come on Giannis anyone?) Is certainly good as average and I like Omenihu, but there’s questions there.  Is he an every down player, does he miss time for the legal stuff? With the way we rotate another Edge player would almost certainly play more immediate snaps than TE3.

DT it’s about improvement.  Nobody on our team is as good against the run as Smith, and I don’t think anyone frees Jones up better to wreak havoc.  Now I’m terms of spice along side Jones I think Clancy is more flash.  I am on record however stating that I think Mazi just hasn’t been asked to collapse the pocket as much.

If it’s a TE it just can’t be Mayer, I don’t know why I just hate the guy, and the more I watch Washington the more I like him.  (To be clear I’m way out on ate though).

44 minutes ago, kingseanjohn said:

Kelce: 152 targets - 110 rec - 1,338 yds - 12 TD

Gray: 34 targets - 28 rec - 299 yds - 1 TD

Gray (projected 152 targets): 125 rec - 1,337 yds - 5 TD

I'm not saying Gray will "be the next Kelce". But there's some similarities in stats when projecting him out to similar targets. Kelce had a 72.4% catch rate while Gray had an 82.4%; which is higher than Kelce has ever had. Yes, I know that it could drop off if/when he gets more targets. But until that happens, I won't project it. I think continuing to develop Gray will pay out in the long term and he'll be better than league average.

Yeah I don’t expect Gray to be Kelce.   Nor do I expect any TE to be Kelce.    I do believe Gray can be right around what Dawson Knox is,   And that’s better than most teams have at the TE position.  Including almost every team that has invested in a 1st Round TE.  

We aren’t replacing Kelce with a TE,  much like we weren’t replacing Hill with one guy.   They are unicorns at what they do. 

Edited by RedGold

6 hours ago, Chiefer said:

Anyways anybody else like Mazi Smith DT/NT Michigan?  impressed with his film. Super athletic, load to handle, violent hands, he’s got some things to work on but I wouldn’t be upset if he’s the first round pick.

I wouldn't hate the pick as interior defensive line is definitely a short term and long term need. I also like Brodric Martin and Moro Ojomo as prospects that could be available outside of round 1 and 2.

1 hour ago, nicfre2011 said:

I wouldn't hate the pick as interior defensive line is definitely a short term and long term need. I also like Brodric Martin and Moro Ojomo as prospects that could be available outside of round 1 and 2.

I’d add Keeanu Benton if you haven’t watched his video.

3 hours ago, nicfre2011 said:

Oh absolutely. I really like Benton. I think he will end up being selected in between our round 1 and 2 picks.

I think that’s fair, depending on where we go round one I’m so for moving stone to get a DT if we love a guy.

1 hour ago, EMAW_KSU said:

I think that’s fair, depending on where we go round one I’m so for moving stone to get a DT if we love a guy.

IF the board falls in a way where there are several interior defensive linemen on the board when we are selecting (and there isn't an EDGE, WR, OT that we are enamored with) I would really like to see us trade down to the top of the 2nd round and pick up another 3rd rounder.

4 hours ago, EMAW_KSU said:

I agree. Rather than #31 and #63 I would rather have two picks in the 45 - 55 range. For example trade #31, #95, and #134 to Detroit for #48 and #55

In other news, this article is making the same points about the TE group that I tried to make. It's not so much a need issue as to a position where we can get unusual value.
https://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles/2023_nfl_draft_could_chiefs_truly_take_tight_end_early/s1_16880_38644597

Edited by onejayhawk