2023 Draft Discussion (Day2pg18)

Chiefs_5627

I like Wayna Morris from Oklahoma as a developmental tackle. If the Chiefs don't go offensive tackle in round 1 and feel comfortable with Lucas Niang starting at RT atleast short term, Morris could be a really nice addition. He has excellent size and length,, tremendous athleticism, and has experience at LT and RT. He really seemed to take a big step forward in 2023 as a prospect.. He does need some polish from a technique standpoint to unlock his potential but I think he could have a real shot at eventually starting for the Chiefs or at worst be valuable depth as a swing tackle.

Edited by nicfre2011
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, nicfre2011 said:

I like Wayna Morris from Oklahoma as a developmental tackle. If the Chiefs don't go offensive tackle in round 1 and feel comfortable with Lucas Niang starting at RT atleast short term, Morris could be a really nice addition. He has excellent size and length,, tremendous athleticism, and has experience at LT and RT. He really seemed to take a big step forward in 2023 as a prospect.. He does need some polish from a technique standpoint to unlock his potential but I think he could have a real shot at eventually starting for the Chiefs or at worst be valuable depth as a swing tackle.

I wouldn’t mind this. I wouldn’t be surprised if we plan on having Niang and Tega Wanogho competing to start with then other being the swing OT. We need to begin developing someone else to replace one or both of them in a year or two when contracts are up.

8 minutes ago, nicfre2011 said:

I like Morris also, his football/learning journey is clearly is not at the End of The Road.  Who knows, maybe One Sweet Day he’ll end up in KC.  One thing I feel is certain, we need to look at tackle before the Water Runs Dry for talent at the position.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, EMAW_KSU said:

I like Morris also, his football/learning journey is clearly is not at the End of The Road.  Who knows, maybe One Sweet Day he’ll end up in KC.  One thing I feel is certain, we need to look at tackle before the Water Runs Dry for talent at the position.

Ha! I was wondering if anyone else would make that connection 🤣

• Like 1

9 hours ago, onejayhawk said:

We own the rights to Justyn Ross. One way to assess his value is what round would you take him if he was in the draft?

I am leaning 3rd round but what do you think?

Another way to assess him is until he can play there’s a zero value statement.  Clearly there’s enough there that we kept him in the team.  He’sa player that could be brilliant, but could also be a Kevin White where injuries just never allow them to truly compete.

Right now He’sa less proven version of Toney.  And he’s got a long way to go before I’d go crowning him our NBT.

37 minutes ago, EMAW_KSU said:

Another way to assess him is until he can play there’s a zero value statement.  Clearly there’s enough there that we kept him in the team.  He’sa player that could be brilliant, but could also be a Kevin White where injuries just never allow them to truly compete.

It's speculation but it seems like the team is pretty happy with the WR room. That makes a lot more sense if they think Ross can contribute.

Right now He’sa less proven version of Toney.  

Completely different players. 

And he’s got a long way to go before I’d go crowning him our NBT.

National Benchmark Test?

12 hours ago, onejayhawk said:

Completely different players. 

I’m talking about counting on them to be every down contributors. And I understand that there’s no guarantee that we would have that from a rookie either.  But you need to have options, so if a talented player is there, then you take your shot.

9 minutes ago, EMAW_KSU said:

Next Big Thing

I love acronyms. I always found it ironic that JD is commonly used to represent both juvenile dilequents and lawyers (juris doctor).

Finding the next big thing is what we do here. That said, I don't think Justyn Ross is a big thing, but he might be viewed as a free 2nd or 3rd round pick. If that is the team's thinking on him then it affects the draft scenarios substantially. If he's more of a free 4th or 5th round pick then still somewhat. Otherwise he's just a lottery ticket. 

On 4/1/2023 at 5:51 AM, EMAW_KSU said:

I’d add Keeanu Benton if you haven’t watched his video.

So my issue is the gametape I’ve found is like 3 minutes long and he started slowing down at the end of the game. He’s gonna have to play a lot more then that with us, and play down to the wire at the end of the game. I’d take a flyer in the 3rd for sure, I think he can do a lot of the same stuff as nnadi. He doesn’t take on double teams well though so that’s a concern.

1 hour ago, Chiefer said:

So my issue is the gametape I’ve found is like 3 minutes long and he started slowing down at the end of the game. He’s gonna have to play a lot more then that with us, and play down to the wire at the end of the game. I’d take a flyer in the 3rd for sure, I think he can do a lot of the same stuff as nnadi. He doesn’t take on double teams well though so that’s a concern.

This is a traditional problem with really big players. It's one reason why Mazi and Ika are sliding. Both were borderline first round at one point. Now they may be falling out of round #2.