2023 Draft Discussion (Day2pg18)

Chiefs_5627

1 hour ago, kingseanjohn said:

While I haven't put in my usual effort in scouting, I can't help but feel that this class is weak. I wouldn't be surprised to see us trade up more than down and potentially even use this years picks to acquire additional draft picks next year. I'm also doubting that we draft OL in rounds 1-3 barring a Tunsil draft night type situation. As more time goes on, I'm feeling more like Niang will be the other starting OT with Tega Wanogho being the primary backup.

I think OT is definitely up there in needs, but if we don’t grab one on in the first round we likely don’t go after one in 2 to 3. It’s a prime trade up candidate imo. I actually liked the Anton Harrison pick in the FF Draft. 

Niang is such an unknown, and we just haven’t wanted to give Prince a chance at LT. 

17 hours ago, Chiefer said:

I wonder which one he likes more. I suspect we’re trading up in the first round. Total Veach move and add some drama in front of the home crowd

Would we do it for a WR for Pat? I like Zay Flowers, he’s like a mini Toney lol. 

Sure he would.

The question is whether there is a suitable WR in this class. On that point, I think not. It's much more likely one of their top 5-6 edge rushers slides. 

2 hours ago, Jakuvious said:

If Mahomes reports back positively enough about one of them, I could see it.

He did last year about Watson who had a nice season.

2 hours ago, Jakuvious said:

Though hopefully his scouting has improved since CEH.

I am not sure I ever believed that one. 

20 minutes ago, Chiefer said:

I think OT is definitely up there in needs, but if we don’t grab one on in the first round we likely don’t go after one in 2 to 3. It’s a prime trade up candidate imo. I actually liked the Anton Harrison pick in the FF Draft. 

Niang is such an unknown, and we just haven’t wanted to give Prince a chance at LT. 

What we know about Niang is that he's very good when he can stay on the field. I trust the medical staff on this. 

What we really don't know is what the staff has seen from the forgotten rookie, Darian Kinnard. He was All-SEC and All-American but we have only glimpses of NFL play. Like Prince, there is no telling how much weight the staff is willing to put on that limb.

1 hour ago, onejayhawk said:

Sure he would.

The question is whether there is a suitable WR in this class. On that point, I think not. It's much more likely one of their top 5-6 edge rushers slides. 

He did last year about Watson who had a nice season.

I am not sure I ever believed that one. 

What we know about Niang is that he's very good when he can stay on the field. I trust the medical staff on this. 

What we really don't know is what the staff has seen from the forgotten rookie, Darian Kinnard. He was All-SEC and All-American but we have only glimpses of NFL play. Like Prince, there is no telling how much weight the staff is willing to put on that limb.

Niang was ok as a starter, but that knee injury is brutal. I think this draft is gonna tell us how they feel about him ultimately 

Kennard needs to pick up his feet more to be a starter outside 

1 hour ago, Chiefer said:

Niang was ok as a starter, but that knee injury is brutal.

Bad, not Brutal. He was available for the playoffs and SB. 

By OK you mean a clear improvement over Wylie, correct? 

I think this draft is gonna tell us how they feel about him ultimately 

They have telegraphed that already. When they only signed one free agent it was clear that they are ready for 2023. 

Kennard needs to pick up his feet more to be a starter outside 

He has a whole off-season to work on things like footwork.

3 hours ago, onejayhawk said:

Bad, not Brutal. He was available for the playoffs and SB. 

By OK you mean a clear improvement over Wylie, correct? 

They have telegraphed that already. When they only signed one free agent it was clear that they are ready for 2023. 

He has a whole off-season to work on things like footwork.

rupturing your patella isn’t exactly not brutal lol. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Chiefer said:

rupturing your patella isn’t exactly not brutal lol. 

Rupturing would be. Fortunately, that was an unfortunate piece of misinformation from early in the process. It was a tear, not a rupture which means torn apart.

Remember that Niang was suiting up and seeing ST action in week #13. Clearly, it is a long rehab but not the brutal injury first reported.

12 minutes ago, onejayhawk said:

Rupturing would be. Fortunately, that was an unfortunate piece of misinformation from early in the process. It was a tear, not a rupture which means torn apart.

Remember that Niang was suiting up and seeing ST action in week #13. Clearly, it is a long rehab but not the brutal injury first reported.

Either way it’s still brutal to come back from. And he only had 9 snaps last season so it’s not like he got any sort of real action. 

like I said, this draft will tell us a lot about his future here I think. 

56 minutes ago, Chiefer said:

Either way it’s still brutal to come back from. And he only had 9 snaps last season so it’s not like he got any sort of real action. 
like I said, this draft will tell us a lot about his future here I think. 

I doubt it and the reason is that there is not a single ready-to-play OT left in the second half of round #1, except the much-mentioned Dewand Jones. I doubt the FO likes him at #31 but I could be wrong.

My take is that the staff is ready to go with either Niang, Kinnard/Prince, or with Niang backed up by K/P. They want a project at LT but not as a drop-everything priority.

32 minutes ago, onejayhawk said:

I doubt it and the reason is that there is not a single ready-to-play OT left in the second half of round #1, except the much-mentioned Dewand Jones. I doubt the FO likes him at #31 but I could be wrong.

My take is that the staff is ready to go with either Niang, Kinnard/Prince, or with Niang backed up by K/P. They want a project at LT but not as a drop-everything priority.

I think if we go after one it’s likely on a trade up

12 hours ago, onejayhawk said:

There is only Paris Johnson and I doubt he gets within reach. 

There’s also Broderick Jones, Darnell Wright, Jaelyn Duncan or Anton Harrison., as first/2nd round rated prospects. Even Dawand Jones as a small possibility.

might not even need to trade up honestly, but Veach likes to pull the trigger instead of sitting and waiting 

29 minutes ago, Chiefer said:

There’s also Broderick Jones, Darnell Wright, Jaelyn Duncan or Anton Harrison., as first/2nd round rated prospects. Even Dawand Jones as a small possibility. might not even need to trade up honestly, but Veach likes to pull the trigger instead of sitting and waiting 

I might give you Brodrick Jones. none of the rest would be able to play immediately. There is a list of pass-rushers who can step straight into a rotation. 

As you say, Veach likes to move but it's with purpose. He will not trade up unless he sees someone sliding in a position of interest, like McDuffie last year. Also last year, was the trade back that with a 7th-round pick netted Skyy Moore and Darian Kinnard.

That said, most of the draft was Veach letting things come to him, Karlaftis, Cook, Chenal, Williams, and the 7th rounders