2023 Draft Discussion (Day2pg18)

Chiefs_5627

6 minutes ago, Chiefs_5627 said:

Says who? I haven't seen anything alluding to Mazi sliding. If anything I've seen him moving up

Look at lists prior to the Combine and lists by the same rater now. He was borderline 1st and now he's late in the 30s or in 40s. 

It's not so much that he's sliding but that lesser known players are passing him. 

3 hours ago, onejayhawk said:

This is a traditional problem with really big players. It's one reason why Mazi and Ika are sliding. Both were borderline first round at one point. Now they may be falling out of round #2. 

No chance Mazi falls out of round 2.  If he’s there for us in 2 we need to take him.  Dude is an eater of worlds.

1 hour ago, mayanfootball said:

Mazi is climbing......Ika is sliding. Probably 'cause he's got a high BFI (body fat index)

And the more video I watch of Mazi the more time I’m seeing him in the backfield/pocket.  He’s being held on a ridiculous amount of plays and still disruptive.  With the right scheme/coaching and the right players around him I think his pass rush in the NFL will actually be better than in college. Currently if he collapses a pocket the QB runs into Jones? GK? Omenihu? I’m not seeing an issue here.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, onejayhawk said:

This is a traditional problem with really big players. It's one reason why Mazi and Ika are sliding. Both were borderline first round at one point. Now they may be falling out of round #2. 

Nah Mazi has like 10 minute long game tapes, which is high for a college DT. Lots of rotation at DL in college. Not only that but he would get better as a game progressed because he could time the snap count better.

Chris Jones was comparable in college, the longest tapes I’ve seen were Dontari Poe’s, his were close to 15 minutes.  

This is from one of Draftcountdown writer's big board. I am not agreeing with it  but Mazi is not top 50 (#71). 

The real reason I post it is the block of 7 Edge in 10 slots. 

1.    EDGE    Will Anderson    Alabama
2.    QB    CJ Stroud    Ohio State
3.    QB    Bryce Young    Alabama
4.    DL    Jalen Carter    Georgia
5.    CB    Christian Gonzalez    Oregon
6.    EDGE    Tyree Wilson    Texas Tech
7.    OT    Broderick Jones    Georgia
8.    RB    Bijan Robinson    Texas
9.    WR    Quentin Johnston    TCU
10.    IOL    Peter Skoronski    Northwestern
11.    OT    Paris Johnson Jr.    Ohio State
12.    CB    Devon Witherspoon    Illinois
13.    EDGE    Myles Murphy    Clemson
14.    CB    Cam Smith    South Carolina
15.    S    Brian Branch    Alabama
16.    EDGE    Nolan Smith    Georgia
17.    CB    Deonte Banks    Maryland
18.    WR    Jaxon Smith-Njigba    Ohio State
19.    TE    Michael Mayer    Notre Dame
20.    OT    Darnell Wright    Tennessee
21.    DL    Bryan Bresee    Clemson
22.    CB    Joey Porter Jr.    Penn State
23.    LB    Drew Sanders    Arkansas
24.    OT    Anton Harrison    Oklahoma
25.    TE    Darnell Washington    Georgia
26.    TE    Dalton Kincaid    Utah
27.    WR    Jordan Addison    Southern Cal
28.    OT    Dawand Jones    Ohio State
29.    DL    Gervon Dexter    Florida
30.    OT    Matthew Bergeron    Syracuse
31.    RB    Jahmyr Gibbs    Alabama
32.    DL    Calijah Kancey    Pittsburgh
33.    WR    Zay Flowers    Boston College
34.    IOL    O'Cyrus Torrence    Florida
35.    LB    Trenton Simpson    Clemson
36.    TE    Sam LaPorta    Iowa
37.    TE    Luke Musgrave    Oregon State
38.    WR    Cedric Tillman    Tennessee
39.    EDGE    Adetomiwa Adebawore    Northwestern
40.    RB    Devon Achane    Texas A&M
41.    EDGE    Will McDonald    Iowa State
42.    EDGE    Felix Anudike-Uzomah    Kansas State
43.    EDGE    Lukas Van Ness    Iowa
44.    CB    Emmanuel Forbes    Mississippi State
45.    RB    Zach Charbonnet    UCLA
46.    EDGE    B.J. Ojulari    LSU
47.    EDGE    Keion White    Georgia Tech
48.    EDGE    Isaiah Foskey    Notre Dame
49.    CB    Kelee Ringo    Georgia
50.    QB    Hendon Hooker    Tennessee

8 hours ago, EMAW_KSU said:

I’ve seen plenty of lists now with Dexter below Smith.  It’s all relative.

Relative is the nature of ranked lists.

If you listen to Veach talk about picks and why they made trades you will quickly understand that the FO uses a tiering system. They made the deal with New England for pick #21 because McDuffie was the last CB on their top tier.

If you take out the four QB likely to be taken in front of us, how many players are in the main first round tier?

28 minutes ago, onejayhawk said:

Relative is the nature of ranked lists.

If you listen to Veach talk about picks and why they made trades you will quickly understand that the FO uses a tiering system. They made the deal with New England for pick #21 because McDuffie was the last CB on their top tier.

If you take out the four QB likely to be taken in front of us, how many players are in the main first round tier?

My guess is they have 15-20 guys they like at their pick.  There’sa smaller portion they’d consider moving up for, and obviously the idea of moving back is in the equation because the last pick in the first round is always ripe with possibilities.  My question is, does the fact that is in KC come into play, in terms of wanting to make that pic and have the crowd go crazy.

I was thinking about comparisons of draft prospects with current or recent Chiefs players to see what prospects might be good fits for how we use or have used certain players. Thoughts? Are there any prospects that you guys think can be compared to Chiefs players or similar roles?

AT Perry, WR, Wake Forest

Comparison: Marquez Valdes-Scantling

While Perry doesn’t have the same level of straight line speed that MVS has, I think Perry would project to playing a similar role with the Chiefs. Both have good height and length; neither are explosive athletes but if given a runway, they have solid build-up speed to get behind coverage; both have shown inconsistency when it comes to coming down with the ball although to be fair it seems both make the biggest impact down the field, so it isn’t like they are boosting their catch percentage with low risk, easy catches; neither is really known as being a YAC weapon and both seem to be limited in the types of routes they run.

Marvin Mims, WR, Oklahoma

Comparison: Mecole Hardman

I think it is fair to say that Hardman never really developed into an all-around wide receiver for the Chiefs as many had hoped. He had elite speed but didn’t seem like the type of weapon that Mahomes and the offensive coaching staff trusted to handle a diverse route tree, it seemed like there was always an effort to get him into the game through manufactured touches. Marvin Mims is an undersized wide receiver but he seems to play bigger than his size would suggest. He was used on the outside and from the slot – and was able to make an impact in all areas of the field. He has very good athleticism to be a consistent YAC weapon in the passing game. When the ball is in the air he does a really good job of putting himself in a position to attack the ball and doesn’t seem to lose focus or composure at the catch point when covered.

Jonathan Mingo, WR, Mississippi

Comparison: JuJu Smith-Schuster

Down the stretch, Mahomes and the offensive staff seemed to really trust JuJu to take some of the pressure off of Travis Kelce in the short to intermediate passing game. He showed consistency in getting open and while he didn’t stretch the field he became a reliable target when Mahomes needed someone to uncover. I think Mingo compares favorably to JuJu not only from a physical standpoint but also how he could be deployed in our offense. Mingo has excellent size and length as a possession receiver but he has the athleticism that makes you think he could be used in multiple ways within our offense. He is a solid YAC weapon and like Mims, seems to attack the ball when it comes his way.

1 hour ago, EMAW_KSU said:

My guess is they have 15-20 guys they like at their pick.  There’s a smaller portion they’d consider moving up for, and obviously the idea of moving back is in the equation because the last pick in the first round is always ripe with possibilities.  My question is, does the fact that is in KC come into play, in terms of wanting to make that pic and ha. ve the crowd go crazy.

The smaller portion is the question. What I want to know is where they draw the line for that tier, ie the one above their pick.

Typically, it's about 15 players and rarely as many as 20. For most purposes, the top half of round #1 covers almost all the genuine first round talents. QBs screw with the tiering so I treat them separately. Typically one QB deserves to go in the top half and is generally one of the first three picks when that happens. Any QB in the top 50 has a chance to go in the top half of the round.

The fact that the draft is local seems to indicate a desire of ownership to make a splash. One obvious way is another trade in the Trent McDuffie vein. Another would be trading out of the first round. Just sayin'.