2023 Draft Discussion (Day2pg18)

Chiefs_5627

9 minutes ago, KC_Guy said:

Just had a look again at the current roster and tried to identify

a) needs
b) room to accomodate players

Looking beyond this year ... CB came up. Check it out. Sneed will be up for a really big one next year, one the Chiefs may not be able to afford. So ... bringing in a good CB ... just thinking.

Haven't seen the Chiefs being linked to a CB in the first  ... I wouldn't rule it out.

We'll almost definitely take a DB or two late, but I see very little chance we go that way in the first.

15 minutes ago, KC_Guy said:

so .. how to handle Sneed's departure next year?

We have 3 CBs that all played meaningful snaps (and a 4th that didn't really play yet) that we just drafted last year, and will be under contract past Sneed. You take another shot or two in the lower rounds this year (which is how we've gotten Fenton, Sneed, Watson, and Williams under Veach) and if it doesn't pan out you can go for a more immediate solution next offseason. I would be perfectly comfortable in 2024 with a depth chart of McDuffie/Watson/Williams, one or two of Johnson/Bootle/new late round picks, and a low end free agent if we need some security. Like, that's fine.

I'm all for looking at solving problems in advance, and Veach has shown a tendency towards doing that. But not with our first pick when we do have positions that can be improved more immediately. Third round, fourth round, sure, I wouldn't complain. But with how well our young guys did last year, how well we've done drafting mid and low round DBs, and the fact that it's not a remotely immediate need, a first is just overkill.

I feel the same about this as I do about the push for a first round TE, or the mock that came out with us taking a G in the first because Thuney is old. We're just at the overthinking things point in draft coverage, IMO. We have enough needs at positions that will have value late in the first (OT, DE, DT, WR.) No need to get too creative here.

39 minutes ago, KC_Guy said:

who you are talking to?

You. The post is right above mine.

On day #3 we can go at any position if we get value.

I would hate to see Sneed go, but I can also wish him a good payday if we are four deep behind him. Likewise Willie Gay, but the LB is stacked four deep. 

9 hours ago, kingseanjohn said:

None of those would please me. 

Huh I think the WRs would be great on the offense with Patrick

i know you don’t like Mazi, but he fills a need and has big upside with his athletic ability. 

8 hours ago, mayanfootball said:

Then I vote to stay at 31. Flowers has the "dropsies". Gibbs is less than B.Robinson which we could have trading up too. Mazi i've been fond of most of "pre-draft". Hyatt is better than Flowers, IMO and we might not have to trade up.

I’m really not a fan of getting Gibbs, he’s CEH size but faster lol. Flowers is definitely better than Hyatt though. Hyatt I think is a Hardman clone, Flowers would be like having a shorter Kadarius Toney. 

11 minutes ago, kingseanjohn said:

Would any of them be a clear upgrade to our current depth chart? Best case I see an upgrade to WR 3 and that isn’t a 1st round pick for me.

With Kelce and Toney they’d all be number 3s regardless. But I think with both you’re getting automatic starting returners, and they both have a higher upside then Skyy, especially Flowers

Edited by Chiefer

51 minutes ago, Chiefer said:

With Kelce and Toney they’d all be number 3s regardless. But I think with both you’re getting automatic starting returners, and they both have a higher upside then Skyy, especially Flowers

I mean #3 WR, not pass catcher. I would guess it’ll go something like Kelce, Toney, MVS, and James as the top 4 in targets; Toney being health dependent. A draft pick would likely be penciled ahead of James.

I think our returner(s) will be a late round rookie RB or depth WR such as Smith-Marsette or James.

7 hours ago, kingseanjohn said:

I mean #3 WR, not pass catcher. I would guess it’ll go something like Kelce, Toney, MVS, and James as the top 4 in targets; Toney being health dependent. A draft pick would likely be penciled ahead of James.

I think our returner(s) will be a late round rookie RB or depth WR such as Smith-Marsette or James.

Don't worry aBOUT RETURNS. James has experience as a punt returner. Skyy finally made his mark and KT is a freaking wizard. 

7 hours ago, mayanfootball said:

Cam Smith will probably go 1st. rd. but I don't think KC can afford him draft capital-wise.

Cam Smith has been falling a lot in recent mocks. Not really sure why, but I've seen him falling into the second in some of the latest mocks. In a couple, I've seen him as far down as the late second.