Eagles sign S Terrell Edmunds for 1 year

ninjapirate

1 hour ago, Ozzy said:

I guess maybe I am not making myself clear enough, Taylor Rapp is a hell of a lot more similar in terms of pass coverage abilities and solid fundamentals to Marcus Epps than Terrell Edmunds is.  It is not even really close and it provides the Eagles a solid pass coverage safety which they had two of them last year and that did not exactly hurt the defense it helped greatly.

The Eagles had 2 solid pass coverage safeties last year? That’s news to me.

Out of safeties with 50% of the snap count there was 68 safeties and these were the rankings for the guys you are discussing.

Marcus Epps: 64th of 68

Terrell Edmunds: 33rd of 68

Taylor Rapp: 17th of 68

Chauncey Gardner-Johnson: 37th of 68

• Like 1

I would’ve rather had Rapp though. Better tackler than both of Epps and Edmunds who were in the 12% range for missed tackles while Rapp has never been above 8.7 in his career and past 2 years has been below 7%. I don’t think any of them are really guys you want covering a lot of ground in coverage.

16 minutes ago, downundermike said:

No, the higher the passer rating against, the worse you are.  Marcus Epps was statistically the 2nd worst coverage player in the NFL last year.

Here are the best players in the NFL in coverage last year.

Rk Player Tm Age Pos G GS Int Tgt Cmp Cmp% Yds Yds/Cmp Yds/Tgt TD Rat
DADOT Air YAC Bltz Hrry QBKD Sk Prss Comb MTkl MTkl%
1 Tariq Woolen* SEA 23 CB 17 17 6 66 34 51.5% 419 12.3 6.3 3 48.7 13.5 292 127 1 0 0 0.0 0 63 5 7.4%
2 James Bradberry PHI 29 CB 17 17 3 86 39 45.3% 382 9.8 4.4 2 51.6 10.4 239 143 1 0 0 0.0 0 44 7 13.7%
3 Chidobe Awuzie CIN 27 CB 8 8 0 50 19 38.0% 236 12.4 4.7 0 53.4 14.5 220 16 1 0 0 0.0 0 35 3 7.9%
4 Danny Johnson WAS 27 CB 11 4 1 39 21 53.8% 167 8.0 4.3 0 54.1 8.4 115 52 6 0 0 1.0 1 29 0 0.0%
5 Duke Shelley MIN 26 CB 11 5 1 46 21 45.7% 266 12.7 5.8 0 55.2 12.6 209 57 0 0 0 0.0 0 31 1 3.1%
6 James Pierre PIT 26 CB 17 2 1 31 13 41.9% 181 13.9 5.8 1 58.7 10.9 113 68 1 0 0 0.0 0 29 0 0.0%
7 Sean Murphy-Bunting TAM 25 CB 12 5 2 41 21 51.2% 186 8.9 4.5 2 59.6 11.9 145 41 4 0 0 0.0 0 31 5 13.9%
8 Jordan Poyer* BUF 31 S 12 12 4 31 21 67.7% 146 7.0 4.7 2 60.1 6.0 81 65 12 0 0 0.0 0 63 3 4.5%
9 Germaine Pratt CIN 26 LB 15 15 2 40 25 62.5% 196 7.8 4.9 1 62.1 3.5 68 128 24 2 0 1.0 3 99 5 4.8%
10 Denzel Perryman LVR 30 LB 12 11 2 29 21 72.4% 119 5.7 4.1 1 62.3 1.8 18 101 46 2 4 1.0 7 83 7 7.8%
11 Jaycee Horn CAR 23 CB 13 13 3 60 33 55.0% 429 13.0 7.2 1 62.4 12.1 306 123 9 2 1 0.0 3 53 6 10.2%

Well that makes more sense, mind you Shelley barely played half the year for example.  It says 11 games but he only really played in 8 or 9 if you count the playoffs so sable size is a pretty big issue as well.  Should almost be a limit in terms of games played and or times targeted.    

Highest targeted safety in the NFL was Kevin Byard at 71, and he is not exactly a bad player either.  Edmunds, Rapp and Epps none were targeted that much and again they are a safety so of course it will not be as high.  But not sure Epps and or Hamlin are the worst safeties in the NFL either, not shocked Hamlin is rated that low he was a backup mind you.  

5 minutes ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

The Eagles had 2 solid pass coverage safeties last year? That’s news to me.

Out of safeties with 50% of the snap count there was 68 safeties and these were the rankings for the guys you are discussing.

Marcus Epps: 64th of 68

Terrell Edmunds: 33rd of 68

Taylor Rapp: 17th of 68

Chauncey Gardner-Johnson: 37th of 68

I see now that Epps in that rating is almost dead last, but not sure I agree with the rating.  Yes it seems he was targeted a lot, gave up a high percentage and a lot of TDs but not sure he is a bad player.  This rating is based on what?  Not surprised Rapp is that high but Gardner-Johnson again has boundary CB ability so to call him a bad coverage safety, come on.  

Just shows stats can be deceptive even in how on interprets them.  A PFF rating is everything, I would say no but cannot say this safety has this many INTs or tackles because even that is deceptive as well.  

The Eagles were the #2 D overall in total yards allowed in the NFL, the #1 pass D so clearly the safeties on the team were not exactly bad with results like that.  Targeted sure with corners like Slay and Bradberry go up against.

4 minutes ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

I would’ve rather had Rapp though. Better tackler than both of Epps and Edmunds who were in the 12% range for missed tackles while Rapp has never been above 8.7 in his career and past 2 years has been below 7%. I don’t think any of them are really guys you want covering a lot of ground in coverage.

I agree and I do like Rapp, was surprised Epps was "rated" that low but the kid has great fundamental play and is usually in the right position.  If he does not make elite level plays that is because he is not an elite level athlete at all.  Does play very comfortable as a DB going backwards though, if Edmunds had his smarts and instincts at the position he might actually be good because out of all of them Edmunds is the only elite level athlete, but not sure his play shows that at all because he does not make a huge impact usually.  

I just think Rapp would have fit better in what they need currently and who they lost at safety, maybe Epps and Gardner-Johnson had nothing to do with that Ds success but not sure I believe that either.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Well that makes more sense, mind you Shelley barely played half the year for example.  It says 11 games but he only really played in 8 or 9 if you count the playoffs so sable size is a pretty big issue as well.  Should almost be a limit in terms of games played and or times targeted.    

Highest targeted safety in the NFL was Kevin Byard at 71, and he is not exactly a bad player either.  Edmunds, Rapp and Epps none were targeted that much and again they are a safety so of course it will not be as high.  But not sure Epps and or Hamlin are the worst safeties in the NFL either, not shocked Hamlin is rated that low he was a backup mind you.  

I see now that Epps in that rating is almost dead last, but not sure I agree with the rating.  Yes it seems he was targeted a lot, gave up a high percentage and a lot of TDs but not sure he is a bad player.  This rating is based on what?  Not surprised Rapp is that high but Gardner-Johnson again has boundary CB ability so to call him a bad coverage safety, come on.  

Just shows stats can be deceptive even in how on interprets them.  A PFF rating is everything, I would say no but cannot say this safety has this many INTs or tackles because even that is deceptive as well.  

The Eagles were the #2 D overall in total yards allowed in the NFL, the #1 pass D so clearly the safeties on the team were not exactly bad with results like that.  Targeted sure with corners like Slay and Bradberry go up against.

I think our corners helped the safeties A LOT. Not the other way around.

Also, even though Chauncey has a lower coverage grade than Rapp and Epps you have to consider he is being asked to do a lot more and tougher assignments in coverage than either of them. 

It was also Chauncey’s first year back at safety since he played college ball. Two of his best 5 games for coverage grades were when he filled in for Maddox at slot late in the year and all of his top 5 grades were in the second half of the season. 

13 minutes ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

I'd probably have preferred Rapp overall. They are both box safeties who aren't really going to do well if you ask them to cover guys regularly, but I am hardly going to get upset they went with Edmunds over him and say it is a huge miss. Bottom line is they are both low tier starters who everyone would rather upgrade on than play hence my point that I'll just trust that Desai and the FO prefer Edmunds for a specific reason compared to Rapp.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

I agree and I do like Rapp, was surprised Epps was "rated" that low but the kid has great fundamental play and is usually in the right position.  If he does not make elite level plays that is because he is not an elite level athlete at all.  Does play very comfortable as a DB going backwards though, if Edmunds had his smarts and instincts at the position he might actually be good because out of all of them Edmunds is the only elite level athlete, but not sure his play shows that at all because he does not make a huge impact usually.  

I just think Rapp would have fit better in what they need currently and who they lost at safety, maybe Epps and Gardner-Johnson had nothing to do with that Ds success but not sure I believe that either.  

Epps is better than Edmunds and Rapp but he got overpaid getting hidden behind a very good CB duo and an elite pass rush. He was ok in the box but missed tackles on plus athletes regularly. I thought the DB market would be stronger this year when I first saw his contract, but after comparing it to other DB's Epps got way too much money from the Raiders at 6 mil per year.

CJGJ is a difference maker. Not in the traditional way safeties are of being a good single high guy who can fly around the field and make plays, but in his ability to be very versatile and do a bit everything. Losing CJ sucks. Epps is a whatever.

41 minutes ago, EaglesFlySBChampsHigh said:

Your better off copying just the names and the certain stats. Looks like a roller coaster for mobile users. It's a complete mess to look at. I'm gonna assume you're on a computer?

Everything reads up and down instead of left to right too like

D

A

R

I

U

S

S

L

A

Y

It formats properly if you flip your phone to the side or zoom out to 50%

• Like 1

I mean I gotta think if the Eagles wanted Rapp, they would've signed him. They must have a role envisioned that Edmunds fits better than Rapp and whoever else is left. Edmunds is like a quasi-linebacker and is good near the LOS. I'm sure that'll be his role and I'd be shocked if they were rolling him out there regularly playing single high or something. He's a young safety who, if he plays well in this system, could be a long term piece. It's a good low risk signing of a guy who has a ton of starting snaps under his belt in a plethora of safety roles. He's a steady, unspectacular starting safety. Let's see how he plays behind a good pass rush and between two all pro/pro bowl corners.

8 minutes ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

Epps is better than Edmunds and Rapp but he got overpaid getting hidden behind a very good CB duo and an elite pass rush. He was ok in the box but missed tackles on plus athletes regularly. I thought the DB market would be stronger this year when I first saw his contract, but after comparing it to other DB's Epps got way too much money from the Raiders at 6 mil per year.

CJGJ is a difference maker. Not in the traditional way safeties are of being a good single high guy who can fly around the field and make plays, but in his ability to be very versatile and do a bit everything. Losing CJ sucks. Epps is a whatever.

I would agree Gardner-Johnson is the better player long term no question and is the bigger loss, got paid a little more than Epps but not as long of a contract.  That CB versatility really makes him different.  

Jimmie Ward who played a ton of slot got paid about that same rate, same with Julian Love who has a lot of versatility as well potentially.  Jabrill Peppers has some interesting versatility as well.

These safeties all provide some versatility, Martin, Garner, Robinson, Moss and Dean could all possibly play CB in the NFL as well.  Branch can be moved around a ton but is best attacking the line of scrimmage going downhill, Scott has great fundamental play and a great backpedal he could be a sleeper and Moss of course has great ball skills and awareness but might end up as a CB.  

Brian Branch Alabama JR
Jartavius Martin Illinois
Mekhi Garner LSU RS JR
Jammie Robinson Florida State RS JR
Daniel Scott Cal RS SR
Brandon Joseph Notre Dame RS JR
Riley Moss Iowa RS
Trey Dean III Florida RS
Jaylen McCollough Tennessee
Chamarri Conner Virginia Tech RS

3 hours ago, Kiltman said:

It formats properly if you flip your phone to the side or zoom out to 50%

Maybe it's chrome cause it still looks the same. I guess I can't zoom out on chrome there's no zoom or zoom out. I can on other sites 

Nm somewhat. I was zoomed all the way in but the names are now left to right but all the numbers are still wavy 〰️ and up n down

Edited by EaglesFlySBChampsHigh

16 hours ago, Ozzy said:

I would agree Gardner-Johnson is the better player long term no question and is the bigger loss, got paid a little more than Epps but not as long of a contract.  That CB versatility really makes him different.  

Jimmie Ward who played a ton of slot got paid about that same rate, same with Julian Love who has a lot of versatility as well potentially.  Jabrill Peppers has some interesting versatility as well.

These safeties all provide some versatility, Martin, Garner, Robinson, Moss and Dean could all possibly play CB in the NFL as well.  Branch can be moved around a ton but is best attacking the line of scrimmage going downhill, Scott has great fundamental play and a great backpedal he could be a sleeper and Moss of course has great ball skills and awareness but might end up as a CB.  

Brian Branch Alabama JR
Jartavius Martin Illinois
Mekhi Garner LSU RS JR
Jammie Robinson Florida State RS JR
Daniel Scott Cal RS SR
Brandon Joseph Notre Dame RS JR
Riley Moss Iowa RS
Trey Dean III Florida RS
Jaylen McCollough Tennessee
Chamarri Conner Virginia Tech RS

No Sydney Brown?

Trey Dean better run a lot better than 4.75 at his pro day if he wants to play S, let alone cb.

28 minutes ago, Jeezla said:

No Sydney Brown?

Trey Dean better run a lot better than 4.75 at his pro day if he wants to play S, let alone cb.

Sydney Brown I love, awesome player but not sure he would play straight up CB like some of those other guys can.  But in terms of being able to play coverage and in the box he is pretty versatile, even though I think he is best around the line of scrimmage.  Martin to me is more versatile than him, he could play FS or boundary CB or slot CB.