Harris/Rales group has officially submitted a bid for the Commanders

NYRaider

1 hour ago, lavar703 said:

He has no money. He's cash poor and he can't afford to pay back the loan he was given to buy out his partners. He's not selling because of some change of heart or that he wants to move on, he's broke. So he can either sell the team and walk away with $6B or he eventually is forced to sell in a couple years to pay Bank of America. 

So strange to read this. Wasn’t he like super rich at one point and made more than even Jerry?

8 minutes ago, Xenos said:

So strange to read this. Wasn’t he like super rich at one point and made more than even Jerry?

I don't think his Net Worth was ever really that much over $1B before he bought the team and most of his worth has come from the value of the team. He had a lot of partners when he bought the team. 

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Xenos said:

His investments since the team too haven't been... great. Mostly Six Flags and his radio stations and his Johnny Rockets franchises. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

His investments since the team too haven't been... great. Mostly Six Flags and his radio stations and his Johnny Rockets franchises. 

Oh snap, he owns Johnny Rockets? They had a pretty good patty melt.

• Like 2

On 3/30/2023 at 12:11 PM, ET80 said:

Oh snap, he owns Johnny Rockets? They had a pretty good patty melt.

The one in Vegas (Excaliber) use to have great chilli cheese fries but no more...

On 3/30/2023 at 12:49 PM, lavar703 said:

I don't think his Net Worth was ever really that much over $1B before he bought the team and most of his worth has come from the value of the team. He had a lot of partners when he bought the team. 

He borrowed much of the $800 million originally.  When Snyder Communications was bought in 2000, he acquired $300m from that.  He then got the three minority owners to go in for 35%, and used the sale of those minority shares to pay down the debt. 

On 3/29/2023 at 9:31 AM, G said:

Opportunity to bribe and 'influence' politicians on a consistent basis. 

This is actually the best point, and why the league wanted to go with someone as young as Snyder.  He was the youngest CEO (32) of a NYSE-traded company, and the NFL saw him as someone who would be in DC for the long haul and be a huge “influencer” with the politicians.  That’s a big contributing factor to being approved for ownership. 

It’s also bad, at least looking back on it, that Jack Kent Cooke didn’t leave the team to his son John, but I also understand that he wanted his money to go into his foundation.  

On 3/30/2023 at 12:58 PM, MikeT14 said:

He’s out of just about all of those.  Bankruptcy from Six Flags led to the lenders getting 92% of Six Flags and they removed Snyder and Shapiro (the same guy in charge of Endeavor which is UFC and now WWE) from their spots.  I believe he’s been out on Johnny Rockets for about the same time.  

3 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

He’s out of just about all of those.  Bankruptcy from Six Flags led to the lenders getting 92% of Six Flags and they removed Snyder and Shapiro (the same guy in charge of Endeavor which is UFC and now WWE) from their spots.  I believe he’s been out on Johnny Rockets for about the same time.  

I think my point was that those investments didn't leave him any more cash rich. 

42 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

This is actually the best point, and why the league wanted to go with someone as young as Snyder.  He was the youngest CEO (32) of a NYSE-traded company, and the NFL saw him as someone who would be in DC for the long haul and be a huge “influencer” with the politicians.  That’s a big contributing factor to being approved for ownership. 

It’s also bad, at least looking back on it, that Jack Kent Cooke didn’t leave the team to his son John, but I also understand that he wanted his money to go into his foundation.  

It's a damn shame it didn't stay in the family of JKC. He was a fantastic owner, opposite of meddler like danny

Edited by DevilsAdvocate

48 minutes ago, DevilsAdvocate said:

It's a damn shame it didn't stay in the family of JKC. He was a fantastic owner, opposite of meddler like danny

I dont care about the meddling, but I always thought Snyder cared about the team until about six years ago.  As an Orioles fan, I was fine with Angelos meddling because I ultimately knew he cared about the city and the players.  He risked his ownership early on in his tenure by not siding with the owners in the 1994 work stoppage.  Cant say the same for Danny. 

• Like 1

Does anyone remember how positive the spin was on his acquisition of the team? The consensus was that we'll finally see a fan of a NFL team running the team like a fan. And this, just to be clear, was seen as a good thing!

I shook my head at that nonsense then and I've never stopped shaking it. I happen to have always hated the Redskins, so it's been a good time seeing their epic 25-year faceplant.