Harris/Rales group has officially submitted a bid for the Commanders

NYRaider

18 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

I legit wanted that or Washington Football Club bad. 

I've been clamoring for WFC ever sense they announced they'd be changing the name from redskins. Just flows so well. WFT is close enough that I like it as well. Most importantly, I really enjoyed the uniforms/design they had.

• Like 1

Amazed at the amount of people who seem to like some variation of football team/football club. That's a soccer team name that is both awful and completely out of place with every other NFL team name.

I've been adamant about how they should change from Washington to DC for a while though. I think that'd be a great change.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

Amazed at the amount of people who seem to like some variation of football team/football club. That's a soccer team name that is both awful and completely out of place with every other NFL team name.

I've been adamant about how they should change from Washington to DC for a while though. I think that'd be a great change.

They literally aren't in DC though. Fed Ex Field is in Landover, Maryland. They train and Practice in Ashburn, Virginia. 

Calling them the DC anything is just as bad as calling them the "Washington" anythings, IMO. Back when they were at RFK Stadium it made sense as that was located in Washington D.C.

I know many fans, myself included, wish we could go back to the RFK days.

• Like 1

With new ownership, they could probably get political support to build a new stadium at the RFK site. I think the park service owns the land, has it been claimed for any other future use? If not, a replacement stadium should be doable, maybe even with funding from the infrastructure bill. 

13 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

With new ownership, they could probably get political support to build a new stadium at the RFK site. I think the park service owns the land, has it been claimed for any other future use? If not, a replacement stadium should be doable, maybe even with funding from the infrastructure bill. 

Ya its hard to know what support they will get for that.  Snyder has alienated so many people that he was never going to get a dime of taxpayer money for a stadium.  There may be a swell of optimism when he leaves. 

5 hours ago, Slappy Mc said:

They literally aren't in DC though. Fed Ex Field is in Landover, Maryland. They train and Practice in Ashburn, Virginia. 

Calling them the DC anything is just as bad as calling them the "Washington" anythings, IMO. Back when they were at RFK Stadium it made sense as that was located in Washington D.C.

I know many fans, myself included, wish we could go back to the RFK days.

The Jets and Giants don't play in New York state, the Rams and Chargers don't play in LA the city, and Levi's Stadium is basically in San Jose, not San Francisco. The Bears are going to build their new stadium in Arlington Heights. "Literally" not being in the city you are named for does not matter.

6 hours ago, minutemancl said:

That's what makes us special, our willingness to be different.

17 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

The Jets and Giants don't play in New York state, the Rams and Chargers don't play in LA the city, and Levi's Stadium is basically in San Jose, not San Francisco. The Bears are going to build their new stadium in Arlington Heights. "Literally" not being in the city you are named for does not matter.

The point was that when the team formerly known as the Redskins played at RFK, it made sense to have some part of Washington DC associated with their name. In the event of a renaming, it doesn't make sense (other than just a cash grab) for them to change from Washington to anything DC related without intention of utilizing anything about the area. 

The Jets and Giants have been named the same thing (Jets since 63 and Giants since their creation) and thus a name/location change doesn't seem practical. I'm not sure of their entire history, but I would imagine they also played in New York at some point too. 

The Chargers and the Rams recently changed their locations for both franchises and probably could have done something more specific. This is a good example of your point.

I'm not sure how California's broken up but the San Jose 49ers would have sounded pretty good too IMO. 

You make very sound points and thank you for them as I didn't know any of that info, but I do still feel that a change from "Washington" to "DC" or "Washington DC" is pointless and shouldn't happen unless they plan on returning at some point. 

• Like 1

Just as an outsider it's still hard for me to buy into the reality that Dan would see the Commanders. He's been a blight on the franchise for so long, and really hasn't made any big change unless it hit him in the pocketbook hard. Will his ego outmuscle a $6 million dollar bid? For football fans everywhere I hope he sells. 

12 hours ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Just as an outsider it's still hard for me to buy into the reality that Dan would see the Commanders. He's been a blight on the franchise for so long, and really hasn't made any big change unless it hit him in the pocketbook hard. Will his ego outmuscle a $6 million dollar bid? For football fans everywhere I hope he sells. 

Jason Wright's comments yesterday made it seem to me that Dan's 100% selling.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Snyder is messy like Rodgers is, but in a more evil way. I'm with you; I still feel like he's going to get a few offers and reject them all just to continue to be the absolute worst. Make the fans happy for a moment only to crush their dreams the next. I really hope I'm wrong. NFL owners can only be so 'good', but can be very many levels of 'bad'. Even on that heavily tilted scale, Snyder is by far the worst.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MikeT14 said:

Jason Wright's comments yesterday made it seem to me that Dan's 100% selling.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/03/29/commanders-president-jason-wrights-sees-sale-of-team-as-a-substantial-boost/

"Via the Washington Times, team president Jason Wright said this week that a sale would provide a “substantial boost” to the organization.

“When there’s an ownership change, we’ll be able to absorb the momentum of that,” Wright said, “They know that. I’m not saying anything that Dan and Tanya [Snyder] don’t know.”

For those that missed it. Jason threw a little shade and tried to endear himself to his potential new bosses. As the article stated, a little surprising to see since the sale isn't finalized, but this should be a sign that it is for sure going to happen. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

He has no money. He's cash poor and he can't afford to pay back the loan he was given to buy out his partners. He's not selling because of some change of heart or that he wants to move on, he's broke. So he can either sell the team and walk away with $6B or he eventually is forced to sell in a couple years to pay Bank of America. 

• Like 1