Re-Drafting History, Hindsight Game.

gopherwrestler

Hindsight is 20/20.

Let’s explore what could have happened in the past to make this team a little better. What would you have done in the draft history to fix this teams weaknesses. Let’s take a trip back thru the years and change how the team drafted its past players. 

Only rules are you must stay within the same round for each pick.

Exceptions:

You can take a trade back and select a player if the trade happened for another pick. Ex: Vikings trades with Packers or Lions last year you can go back to original pick.

If you want to stay at the same position Nd that position wasn’t selected again in the the round you are on, you can go back and select the NEXT player drafted in the next round at that position. 

Have fun, just a game, do as many rounds as you would like or as many years!

2022:
R1 P12: Jordan Davis, DT, Georgia
R2 P46: George Pickens, WR, Georgia
R3 P77: Nakobe Dean, LB, Georgia
R5 P156: Zyon McCollum, CB, Sam Houston St.
R6 P184: Jalen Nailor, WR, Michigan St.
R6: P191 Quentin Lake, S, UCLA
R6: P192: Doug Kramer, C, Illinois
R7 P250: Isiah Pacheco, RB, Rutgers

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

Taking Tom Brady in the 4th round might have paid off a little.

If only we would have used that pick in the 4th instead of Tyrone Carter, but also against the rules since he wasn't drafted in the 4th round and we also didn't have a pick in the 6th round that year 😉

1 hour ago, SemperFeist said:

2016:

23. Kenny Clark instead of Treadwell

54. James Bradberry instead of Alexander

83. Justin Simmons instead of trading with Miami

121. Dak Prescott instead of Beavers

Semper, I think you were a little hard on the Beavers. 

• Like 3

#1 - Not trading Moss to the Raiders

2001 - HB - Steven Jackson instead of Willie Howard / WR - Steve Smith instead of CB - Eric Kelly (Moss/Carter/Smith)

2002 - S - Ed Reed instead of OT - Bryant McKinnie / HB - Clinton Portis instead of LB - Raonall Smith / LB - Ben Leber instead of S - Willie Offord

2003 - CB - Asante Samuel instead of RB - Onterrio Smith / S - Yeremiah Bell instead of P - Eddie Johnson

2004 - DT - Vince WIlfork instead of DE - Kenechi Udeze / DE - Jared Allen instead of OT - Nat Dorsey / OG - Scott Wells instead of TE - Jeff Dugan (JA/ Kevin Williams / Vince WIlfork + Im still trading Portis for Champ Bailey giving me Bailey / Samuel / Winfield) ( would have tried to lure Orlando Brown away from Baltimore)

2005 - QB - Aaron Rodgers instead of DE - Erasmus James / WR - Vincent Jackson instead of OT - Marcus Johnson / C - Richie Incognito instead of CB - Dustin Fox / RB - Darren Sproles instead of RB - Ciatrick Fason (Hindsight lets us see what happens to DC allowing the Vikes to steal AR.  An offense featuring AR / Moss / Smith / Jackson / Wiggins & an OLine of McKinnie / Wells / Incognito / Birk / Rosenthal.  Orlando Brown would have been nice)

2006 - OT - Andrew Whitworth instead of C - Ryan Cook

2007 -  RT - Marshal Yanda instead of CB - Marcus McCauley

2008 - Drafted JA so I get picks 17(Aqib Talib), 73(Jamaal Charles) & 82 back / WR - Desean Jackson instead of S - Tyrell Johnson / 

8yr stretch, just wanted to get to Moss & AP together.  2009 would need to take a serious look at LB, S & Backup QB but what a fun WR room it'd be with Moss/Smith/Jackson/Harvin/D-Jax

QB - Rodgers / T. Jackson

RB  - AP / Sproles / Jamaal Charles

WR - Moss / Smith / Jackson / Rice / Desean Jackson / Allison

TE - Shaincoe / Kleinsasser 

OL - Whitworth /  Marshal / Hutchinson / Wells / Incognito / Birk / Hicks / Cook 

DL - Jared Allen / Ray Edwards / Kevin Williams / Vince Wilfork / Pat Williams / Brian Robison / Darrion Scott

LB - Greenway / Leber / EJ Henderson / Dontarrius Thomas / Erin Henderson / Heath Farwell

CB - Champ Bailey / Samuel / Winfield / Griffin / Sapp

S - Ed Reed / Darren Sharper / Dwight Smith / Yeremiah Bell 

• Like 1

While not exactly the same intention as the topic suggests, this is a variation of it, in that Jason evaluates the performance of the team's draft by career earnings.  The Vikings had the 12th best draft based on career earnings.

https://overthecap.com/revisiting-the-2012-nfl-draft

For reference, the Vikings draft that year was:

Rd 1 - OT Matt Kalil and S Harrison Smith

Rd 3 - CB Josh Robinson

Rd 4 - WR Jarius Wright, TE Rhett Ellison, and WR Greg Childs

Rd 5 - CB/S Robert Blanton

Rd 6 - K Blair Walsh

Rd 7 - LB Audie Cole and DE Trevor Guyton

Based on my initial thoughts, the Vikings could have gone with LB Luke Kuechly (current LBs were Greenway, Erin Henderson and Jasper Brinkley) or DT Dontari Poe or Fletcher Cox (current DTs were Kevin Williams and Letroy Guion) instead of Kalil or LB Demario Davis in the 2nd rd instead of Josh Robinson or OG JR Sweezy in the 7th rd instead of Guyton (current OGs were Charlie Johnson and Fusco).

Edited by swede700

His article about the 2013 draft has now come out...the Vikings were 16th that year, while the Packers were 2nd, Lions 4th and Bears 24th.

https://overthecap.com/revisiting-the-2013-nfl-draft

The Vikings 2013 Draft was:

1st rd: DT Sharrif Floyd, CB Xavier Rhodes, WR Cordarrelle Patterson

4th rd: LB Gerald Hodges

5th rd: P Jeff Locke

6th rd: OG Jeff Baca

7th rd: LB Michael Mauti, OG Travis Bond, DT Everett Dawkins

Xavier Rhodes had the 17th most career earnings over their rookie contract and Cordarrelle was 35th.  They were the only 2 drafted Vikings that made the top 100.  However, other former Vikings on the list were Sheldon Richardson (#21) and Latavius Murray (#54). 

The Vikings did alright in the first round, despite the unfortunate surgery situation with Floyd which ended his career prematurely.  Theoretically, they could have taken DeAndre Hopkins instead of Floyd or Rhodes, but that would have been a tough call. On the board when Cordarrelle was picked was Alec Ogletree and Travis Frederick...I'm not sure I would have taken either one of them over Cordarrelle in retrospect.  But, so was Justin Hunter...remember him @SteelKing728?  LOL!

If I recall correctly, Spielman traded up for Cordarrelle, they probably should have stayed and taken Jamie Collins and Logan Ryan instead (who went to the Pats with the Vikings' picks in the 2nd and 3rd)...they potentially could have had Travis Kelce as well (but since they already had Rudolph, that wouldn't have happened). 

Instead of Hodges, they could have taken JC Tretter (who went to the Packers 2 picks later) and in the 5th, they could have gotten Micah Hyde, who also went to the Packers 4 picks after Spielman took a punter.

Edited by swede700
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, swede700 said:

The Vikings did alright in the first round, despite the unfortunate surgery situation with Floyd which ended his career prematurely.  Theoretically, they could have taken DeAndre Hopkins instead of Floyd or Rhodes, but that would have been a tough call. On the board when Cordarrelle was picked was Alec Ogletree and Travis Frederick...I'm not sure I would have taken either one of them over Cordarrelle in retrospect.  But, so was Justin Hunter...remember him @SteelKing728?  LOL!

In hindsight I think Rhodes at 1.23, Hopkins at 1.25, and Frederick at 1.29 would've been the play. Figure out where to slot Frederick in on that OL or even go with Ogletree.

That draft was so much fun to watch having three 1sts. I remember how excited I was when the Colts picked Bjorn Werner knowing Rhodes would be available with our next pick and we took him! Probably one of my favorite draft memories.

• Like 1