ANTHONY RICHARDSON - WHAT IF WE TAKE HIM AT #6

Karnage84

12 minutes ago, Just Want A Title said:

This isn't justifying a a prospect it is evaluating them objectively.  Most folks were of the opinion that he would have been better off staying in college with respect to his development as a QB but he chose not to do that.  Anthony Richardson basically has one season as a starter in college and his stats as a first-year starter weren't out of line with a number of other QBs who have been successful in the NFL.  Florida wasn't exactly a great team either.  I think it helps clarify the risk associated with Anthony Richardson rather than create any sort of justification.

Dictionary
Definitions from Oxford Languages · Learn more
jus·ti·fy
verb
show or prove to be right or reasonable.

Seems like you're justifying AR as a top prospect to me.

14 minutes ago, Nnivolcm said:

Seems like you're justifying AR as a top prospect to me.

Not really but you are free to think what you like.  A lot of folks didn't agree when the Chiefs traded up to get Patrick Mahomes.  Clearly, their evaluation of him is a prospect was better than how other people rated him.  If the Lions have the same conviction on Anthony Richardson or any other player, they should go with it.

8 minutes ago, Just Want A Title said:

Not really but you are free to think what you like.  A lot of folks didn't agree when the Chiefs traded up to get Patrick Mahomes.  Clearly, their evaluation of him is a prospect was better than how other people rated him.  If the Lions have the same conviction on Anthony Richardson or any other player, they should go with it.

They should and they will if they believe that. Us in the forum don’t have a say in it. But if the lions pick him at 6, if he’s there, I’ll be critical of it until he proves me wrong. Their are a lot of flags that make me, as an armchair gm, concerned with him as the 6th pick. Especially when we already have a pretty good qb.

Edited by LionArkie
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, LionArkie said:

They should and they will if they believe that. Us in the forum don’t have a say in it. But if the lions pick him at 6, if he’s there, I’ll be critical of it until he proves me wrong. Their are a lot of flags that make me, as an armchair gm, concerned with him as the 6th pick. Especially when we already have a pretty good qb.

I don’t think I will be super critical and would give him time to develop as a QB but also he needs snaps to do that and I don’t think a team competing for the playoffs should give snaps to a developing QB unless we are in a blow out situation. 

I also think it would be a bold move and would be a career defining move in Holmes and DCs career.  We already have higher expectations and a pick like that says you are confident in everything else you have done that an impact player at a position of need is less valuable than AR.  So if he doesn’t develop, they better hope they are still winning.  

7 hours ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I don’t think I will be super critical and would give him time to develop as a QB but also he needs snaps to do that and I don’t think a team competing for the playoffs should give snaps to a developing QB unless we are in a blow out situation. 

I also think it would be a bold move and would be a career defining move in Holmes and DCs career.  We already have higher expectations and a pick like that says you are confident in everything else you have done that an impact player at a position of need is less valuable than AR.  So if he doesn’t develop, they better hope they are still winning.  

Prepare for terrible logic.

Our team's success very likely hinges on whether we get good QB play. If Goff continues to be successful and Richardson never sees the field, so be it. The team is winning. If the team is doing poorly it stands to reason that we aren't getting good QB play from Goff and the Richardson selection is justified. If we pick Richardson and he busts AND Goff falls off, well at least we tried to fix the most important position.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, nagahide13 said:

Prepare for terrible logic.

Our team's success very likely hinges on whether we get good QB play. If Goff continues to be successful and Richardson never sees the field, so be it. The team is winning. If the team is doing poorly it stands to reason that we aren't getting good QB play from Goff and the Richardson selection is justified. If we pick Richardson and he busts AND Goff falls off, well at least we tried to fix the most important position.

Funny Face What GIF by Rosanna Pansino

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Just Want A Title said:

Apparently, Anthony Richardson had 19 throw-aways last year.  Drops were a problem also.  Maybe Anthony Richardson isn't as inaccurate as people have been saying

No...he's pretty inaccuate.  Ball placement was bad on short and intermediate especially.  

43 minutes ago, Just Want A Title said:

Apparently, Anthony Richardson had 19 throw-aways last year.  Drops were a problem also.  Maybe Anthony Richardson isn't as inaccurate as people have been saying

What happens when you remove throw aways and drops from the other QBs? 

why would anyone want a wr/te at qb is my first question? id rather a smart qb with an accurate arm over a jacked dude that only did well at the combine....i watched a bunch of florida games and ones I didnt I watched highlights and stats for AR....no way I personally would touch him. Id maybe act like it to fleece other teams come draft night. but no way. 

3 minutes ago, NFL_Fan said:

why would anyone want a wr/te at qb is my first question? id rather a smart qb with an accurate arm over a jacked dude that only did well at the combine....i watched a bunch of florida games and ones I didnt I watched highlights and stats for AR....no way I personally would touch him. Id maybe act like it to fleece other teams come draft night. but no way. 

https://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles/anthony_richardson_excelled_in_important_cognitive_test/s1_17068_38719952

Anthony Richardson Passes Cognitive Test
The S2 cognition test helps gauge a person’s cognitive skills, scoring them on things like instinctive learning, decision complexity, distraction control, and improvisation. The quarterback position requires a lot of brainpower. Diagnosing coverages, blitzes, and many other things is key to a quarterback’s success. While he did not receive the highest score of any quarterback (that went to Bryce Young) he did very well. One source described the performance as “knocking it out of the park”.

No one is saying/should be saying he isn't a smart guy. He's demonstrated that he is. He's inexperienced. He has footwork issues to work on in order to help fix his accuracy issues. 

If I'm Seattle, I'd strongly consider AR. They've had a track record of success - Super Bowl in 2014 and NFC Champs in 2006, 2014, and 2015. Geno is 32 years old but played really well. They can sit Richardson for a year or two and it likely won't mean their jobs. They've had a history with a mobile QB. 

For Detroit, the division is up for the taking. Goff played really well for us last year. He's under contract for another year. We're probably going to lose Ben Johnson next year. It's not a great situation to bring in a young guy, learn an offense and then have his coaches leave and bring in a new system with two systems in two years. We need to win the division, get into the playoffs and win our first playoff game since 1991. I've really come around to AR over this draft process and I wouldn't hate it if we did take him at #6. I'd understand why they did it to some extent. Ideally, it's not the right move for us because we do have a hump to get over and there's other players who can have more of an immediate impact to help us get there.