2023 Commanders OTAs, Minicamp & Training Camp

turtle28

Real bummer about Rodgers.  Keep in mind this occurred in a non-contact drill.  So it isn't like voluntary work outs is the problem, because if these guys aren't here I sure hope they are working out elsewhere.  Injuries can happy any time.

Personally, I don't have a problem with our TE room, but I also am a fan of Bates and have high hopes for him.  If anything I am more concerned about the linebacker room especially after it coming out that Jamin Davis had a scope.

49 minutes ago, offbyone said:

Real bummer about Rodgers.  Keep in mind this occurred in a non-contact drill.  So it isn't like voluntary work outs is the problem, because if these guys aren't here I sure hope they are working out elsewhere.  Injuries can happy any time.

Personally, I don't have a problem with our TE room, but I also am a fan of Bates and have high hopes for him.  If anything I am more concerned about the linebacker room especially after it coming out that Jamin Davis had a scope.

Got hurt during Voluntary Workouts, oh yay! They're so important 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, offbyone said:

60 Receptions for 518 yards and 2 TDs. That is the combined production for everyone in our TE room from last year. 13 TEs single handedly outperformed our entire TE room. To say that you don't have a problem with our TE room is very concerning.

30 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

60 Receptions for 518 yards and 2 TDs. That is the combined production for everyone in our TE room from last year. 13 TEs single handedly outperformed our entire TE room. To say that you don't have a problem with our TE room is very concerning.

I don't think you are wrong, it isn't a great room, but I think it is fine and still has potential.  We have a great RB room and a great WR room.  There are plenty of weapons.  Not every position on the team can be tops.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Got hurt during Voluntary Workouts, oh yay! They're so important 

Injuries happen. He was running. And this could've happened anywhere.

You mean to tell me that the first drill they do...a RUNNING drill...and he gets injured from it?

But since people want to blame this on voluntary workouts for an injury where he was not contacting anyone and simple <checks notes> running, then if we truly NEED to blame something/someone then it sounds to me like we should blame Rogers for not keeping himself in good shape in the offseason enough that he doesn't get injured...in the first drill...simply running. 

That last part sounds silly, doesn't it? No more silly than blaming voluntary workouts for an injury a player sustains from an activity he would be engaging in regardless if he was there or not. 

And note, I'm not truly blaming Rogers here. I'm just holding up a mirror to the ridiculousness of the argument that voluntary workouts are the blame for his injury. 

3 hours ago, offbyone said:

I don't think you are wrong, it isn't a great room, but I think it is fine and still has potential.  We have a great RB room and a great WR room.  There are plenty of weapons.  Not every position on the team can be tops.  

I get that, but the part that annoys me is that there was so much value to be had.  I love Logan Thomas, I am a Hokie, but he is going to be hurt by week 3.  If we had cut him and added Schultz or Gisecki for 1M more, we would have a top 10 TE room to go with our great RB and WR rooms.  I just think there is a limit to how many position groups that you can say "have potential"  If there is a QB that has potential, you can't count pennies where a tiny percentage of your cap can transform from potential to really solid.  The QB situation is saving you 35M, you can spend the ~500k to make sure he has solid play from all of the offensive skill position groups.  In short, as the great Peter Griffin once said, "You know what really grinds my gears?"

• Like 1

12 hours ago, offbyone said:

But we had options to improve it. The Nick Gates money could've gone to Dalton Schultz. Instead Nick Gates is just now the overpaid guy standing in Strombergs way. Would you not feel better about this offense if Schultz or Geisicke were here? It just bothers me that they felt zero need to upgrade a position that clearly needed it. Its a running theme with this group. They'd rather use draft choices and free agency money on depth players and special teamers. Its just an odd way to go about things. 

I really think he was going to flash some this year. Beat writers were saying he looked good in Biniemy’s offense at OTAs. Thankfully they still have Logan - who I think will bounce back & have a good year in Bienemy’s offense - Bates, who is a great blocking TE & Cole Turner who has the potential to be the best receiving TE we've had since Jordan Reed & Vernon Davis.

We also have Curtis Hodges who was on the practice squad last year developing too who's 6’8 & a huge target.

Edited by turtle28

10 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

Injuries happen. He was running. And this could've happened anywhere.

You mean to tell me that the first drill they do...a RUNNING drill...and he gets injured from it?

But since people want to blame this on voluntary workouts for an injury where he was not contacting anyone and simple <checks notes> running, then if we truly NEED to blame something/someone then it sounds to me like we should blame Rogers for not keeping himself in good shape in the offseason enough that he doesn't get injured...in the first drill...simply running. 

That last part sounds silly, doesn't it? No more silly than blaming voluntary workouts for an injury a player sustains from an activity he would be engaging in regardless if he was there or not. 

And note, I'm not truly blaming Rogers here. I'm just holding up a mirror to the ridiculousness of the argument that voluntary workouts are the blame for his injury. 

You’re right I was just making a throwaway comment but I also don't think they're as important as people make them out to be. They're running around in shorts & shirts with no pads on and running drills, it doesn't reflect an actual game.

13 hours ago, Slappy Mc said:

You’re leaving out context. Logan Thomas was hobbled the first half of the year working his way back from his ACL injury and Cole Turner - possibly our best receiving TE who was a college WR as a freshman in college - had a bad hamstring injury that cost him over a month to start the season & then a concussion which cost him a few games mid season.

9 hours ago, daskins said:

I get that, but the part that annoys me is that there was so much value to be had.  I love Logan Thomas, I am a Hokie, but he is going to be hurt by week 3.  If we had cut him and added Schultz or Gisecki for 1M more, we would have a top 10 TE room to go with our great RB and WR rooms.  I just think there is a limit to how many position groups that you can say "have potential"  If there is a QB that has potential, you can't count pennies where a tiny percentage of your cap can transform from potential to really solid.  The QB situation is saving you 35M, you can spend the ~500k to make sure he has solid play from all of the offensive skill position groups.  In short, as the great Peter Griffin once said, "You know what really grinds my gears?"

The bolded is an assumption. When healthy he catches 3 to 6 receptions a game and is capable of getting 10 to 12 ypc w/ 5 or a few more TDs a game. Last year he was the 4th option at best on our offense behind the 3 top WRs & at times Gibson too if a play was called to get Gibson the ball. 

So, essentially any TE isn't going to catch 80 plus balls when you have Terry, Dotson & Samuel to throw to. Those 3 are going to be the top targets on every pass play for any QB & they all run different routes at different depths.

1 hour ago, lavar703 said:

But we had options to improve it. The Nick Gates money could've gone to Dalton Schultz. Instead Nick Gates is just now the overpaid guy standing in Strombergs way. Would you not feel better about this offense if Schultz or Geisicke were here? It just bothers me that they felt zero need to upgrade a position that clearly needed it. Its a running theme with this group. They'd rather use draft choices and free agency money on depth players and special teamers. Its just an odd way to go about things. 

Nick Gates was signed before the draft bc they knew they were going to cut Roullier with a June 1st designation. Gates is not overpaid, he's been a starting C in this league and he's in his prime. His cap hit this year is only $3.2 million so again, he's not overpaid.

I would feel better if we had cut Thomas and signed Geisicke for about the same cap hit, maybe a little more. 

But, I do think Logan is capable of catching 3 to 6 passes a game for 50-70 recs, 500-700 yds and 5-8 TDs a season when healthy.

1 hour ago, turtle28 said:

You’re leaving out context. Logan Thomas was hobbled the first half of the year working his way back from his ACL injury and Cole Turner - possibly our best receiving TE who was a college WR as a freshman in college - had a bad hamstring injury that cost him over a month to start the season & then a concussion which cost him a few games mid season.

That doesn't make the situation any better. You just detailed the other part of the reason the TE room is very poor, health. Whether we are going to admit it or not, being available is in the job description of all NFL players. Injuries happen, but if a player consistently can't stay on the field, they should be replaced. A perfect example to that is Chase Roullier. He is a pretty decent center, but he got hit with the injury bug and now he's unemployed. 

I would almost bet that, besides TDs, our stats will largely remain the same this year from the group. The fact that we had 2 touchdowns total from the TE group last year is ridiculous.

1 hour ago, turtle28 said:

But, I do think Logan is capable of catching 3 to 6 passes a game for 50-70 recs, 500-700 yds and 5-8 TDs a season when healthy.

Those numbers would have been possible 2 or 3 years ago. Logan Thomas is a shell of the player we signed to a 1 year contract. Logan Thomas probably won't have more than 30 receptions for 300-400 yards and 2-3 TDs. Unfortunately, Thomas is the best we have at TE.