TABT - HuskieBear Edition

Ty21

Just got off the phone with my soon-to-be new manager. My job is 99% remote. Holy crap that's fantastic for me and the family. Just saved 10 hours of roadtime per week, the gas for that (my SUV is a smooth ride but not exactly economical), and I can get the kids to/from school and practice if the wife's meds are messing with her.

• Like 6

On 7/23/2023 at 9:55 AM, AZBearsFan said:

Christopher Nolan just makes awesome movies. And he casts so well - Cillian Murphy as Oppenheimer was so good. Without knowing your setup at home I would recommend seeing it in a theatre if you can - the sound mixing for that type of viewing definitely added to the experience IMO. 

I'm planning on seeing it this weekend.  I saw Mission Impossible last weekend.  Oppenheimer was nearly sold out at the cinema I went to.  In general Christopher Nolans movies are always better on the big screen. 

22 hours ago, Sugashane said:

Just got off the phone with my soon-to-be new manager. My job is 99% remote. Holy crap that's fantastic for me and the family. Just saved 10 hours of roadtime per week, the gas for that (my SUV is a smooth ride but not exactly economical), and I can get the kids to/from school and practice if the wife's meds are messing with her.

God bless. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, dll2000 said:

God bless. 

Let us remember this moment when we are all friendly and civil with each other. Soon the bears will disappoint us and things will go bad and we’ll be at each others’ throats 

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Ty21 said:

Let us remember this moment when we are all friendly and civil with each other. Soon the bears will disappoint us and things will go bad and we’ll be at each others’ throats 

Hopefully the harmony will remain at least until Sept 11th.

23 minutes ago, Bigbear72 said:

Hopefully the harmony will remain at least until Sept 11th.

That’s the sole American unity day where everyone pretends to care about their fellow man 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Ty21 said:

But it won't be our fault/

When things go bad it will go from 'we' accomplished whatever to Poles and Flus are morons.   They should have done this.

• Like 1

On 7/27/2023 at 10:11 AM, dll2000 said:

But it won't be our fault/

When things go bad it will go from 'we' accomplished whatever to Poles and Flus are morons.   They should have done this.

That's right. We will band together against Green Bay and.... other people!!!

• Like 1

So I think my wife and I have decided to move to Florida.  Long story short about a month back a guy I used to work with here before I got promoted took a promotion at one of out Florida offices.  I told my wife about it and she asked me why I didn't do that.  I had no idea she wanted to move down there.  Well another position just opened up in another one of our Florida offices, we talked about it, timing isn right at this moment bc we have one daughter about to start 7th grade at a new school and the other starting her junior year of college, but if something opens up next year I'm going to take it and we are going to make the move.  Problem is we keep looking at houses down there on zillow and finding ones we love.  

• Like 3

I got a trivia question right the other day that was about what college Marvin McNutt went to and I literally wouldn’t have gotten it right if not for Cbears being a fan of him years ago lol 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Superman(DH23) said:

So I think my wife and I have decided to move to Florida.  Long story short about a month back a guy I used to work with here before I got promoted took a promotion at one of out Florida offices.  I told my wife about it and she asked me why I didn't do that.  I had no idea she wanted to move down there.  Well another position just opened up in another one of our Florida offices, we talked about it, timing isn right at this moment bc we have one daughter about to start 7th grade at a new school and the other starting her junior year of college, but if something opens up next year I'm going to take it and we are going to make the move.  Problem is we keep looking at houses down there on zillow and finding ones we love.  

I’ve heard their bath salts are delicious down there 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ty21 said:

I got a trivia question right the other day that was about what college Marvin McNutt went to and I literally wouldn’t have gotten it right if not for Cbears being a fan of him years ago lol 

I thought Marv was gonna be a stud, and got into weeks worth of debates about him being as good as Michael Floyd pre-draft. Turns out both were trash in the NFL. Does that mean I was “right”? 

2 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

I thought Marv was gonna be a stud, and got into weeks worth of debates about him being as good as Michael Floyd pre-draft. Turns out both were trash in the NFL. Does that mean I was “right”? 

In retrospect 😂. I do think Floyd would’ve made a fair #2 in the league if not for the alcoholism 

2 hours ago, Ty21 said:

You owe me some of your winnings then.

5 hours ago, Superman(DH23) said:

Good luck, my in-laws also want to retire to Florida. Many insurance companies are no longer offering homeowner's insurance in Florida, and auto insurance rates are very high there too on account of all the elderly drivers in addition to cars flooding during hurricanes.

I've never understood the appeal of Florida. Sure, you don't get a cold winter. You just get to deal with year-round humidity on top of the floods and hurricanes. Not for me. 

I used to think I was going to end up out west, somewhere like Colorado or Oregon or something. We did a lot of travelling out there in 2021. Now, I'm just scared of the drought and the wildfires. On top of that, the heat out there just grows and grows. Colorado was close to 100 when we were out there, at that point why even leave Illinois? Sure, you can go up in elevation to make your summers cooler, but you're also just making the snowfall you get worse.

I've always believed that dealing with winter is way better than dealing with scorching summers. In winter, you can at least layer up. In the summer.... well, you can't really go much beyond naked, and the police don't really care for that to begin with.

I think the wife and I have settled on the Northeast to ultimately settle down in and build our forever (tiny) home on, probably Vermont. We have some experience living tiny. Our accidental pandemic project (we started in October 2019) was to renovate a 38-foot retired 1995 school bus that I flew out to California (was looking for a specific engine and body style), bought, and drove it home. It took 40 hours behind the wheel, and I did it in two and a half days, sleeping in the bus at rest stops overnight. It took us all of 2020 and into March of 2021 to get the thing built out and iron out all the kinks, get moved into it, practice living in it and get rid of pain points, etc etc. I was able to (using the University of Google and The Youtube Institute) teach myself all about plumbing, carpentry, electrical, and solar. We ultimately travelled about 20,000 miles in the thing over the course of 8 months and saw 22 national parks along the way. Eventually the money we had set aside for travel ran out, so we sold the thing (for a profit, too!) and came back to Illinois to fill the bank account up again. Our current house is a little over 600 square feet, which is probably about the right size, but the space here is so poorly utilized (because of the layout).

Anyways, this has turned into quite a post. Thanks for coming to my TED talk. If this post generates any curiosity from people, I don't mind answering questions or chatting more about it.

Edited by chisoxguy7
  • Like 2