*Round 2 added- page 2* What I would do as GM for each team- 1st round Minute Mock

minutemancl

All selections in this mock are made from the perspective of if I were the GM of each team at the time of their pick. No trades that haven't already happened.

1. Panthers- QB Anthony Richardson

If you are going to bet on any of these QBs, bet on the one with otherworldly physical traits.

2. Texans- QB Bryce Young

I'm lower on Young than most, but if you need a QB, you take a QB. Young just edges out Levis here for me. The size is a serious, serious concern, but his traits in almost all other facets are very impressive.

3. Cardinals- DL Jalen Carter

He's the best player in the draft IMO, even with all the pre-draft issues arising from that legal issue. The Cardinals need help almost everywhere.

4. Colts- QB Will Levis

He almost went 2nd, but he ends up going just 2 picks later. The Colts desperately need a QB and they take the best one available.

5. Seahawks- EDGE Will Anderson

He's the 2nd best player in the draft; one of the true blue chippers, like Carter. I'm a tiny bit more dubious of his ceiling than the consensus, but that production in the SEC kind of speaks for itself. Don't overthink it.

6. Lions- CB Christian Gonzalez

Tons of good, 1st round worthy CBs in this draft. The Lions grab the best one.

7. Raiders- QB CJ Stroud

Jimmy G is who he is, and that isn't someone who will be winning you championships in a few years while you rebuild/retool. I'm very much of the belief that if you are picking high and need a QB, you take a QB. The Raiders grab one of the last few that are first round worthy. 

8. Falcons- RB Bijan Robinson

You want to run 60% of the time? Then get personnel that will allow you to have successful runs close to 100% of the time. I'm leaning fully into the scheme Arthur Smith has been running the last few years. Bijan is the last blue chipper to be taken in this mock draft.

9. Bears- OT Darnell Wright

I'm taking my OT1 here. Skoronski was strongly considered, because he has an extremely high floor that still puts him at a pro-bowl level playing guard, but I think Wright is the kind of premier LT you really look for inside the top-10.

10. Eagles- OL Peter Skoronski

I really strongly considered Tyree Wilson here as well. The Eagles have been very good for a while now because of their OL. I'm picking Skoronski here to ensure that remains the case.

11. Titans- OT Paris Johnson

Run on OL! Paris Johnson is the consensus OT1, and the Titans have a huge need there. With no QB falling to this point, this is a no brainer.

12. Texans- EDGE Tyree Wilson

This draft fell really well for the Texans. I was looking to get a weapon here for my new QB, but Wilson is too good to pass up on at a premier position.

13. Jets- OT Broderick Jones

I really want to improve my OL if I'm going to acquire Aaron Rodgers, and there are a few good remaining 1st round OT prospects left that I like. Jones is next up for me. This is the point in the draft where it becomes much more muddy, both in terms of teams' needs not matching up with board value and just the grades on the players remaining themselves.

14. Patriots- CB Devon Witherspoon

Easy pick here for me. Witherspoon is awesome and feels right at home in Belichick's defense.

15. Packers- TE Darnell Washington

I want a pass catcher here. Does JSN really move the needle for me, a team with a young QB who hasn't taken many snaps? Not really, as much as I like him. I want a security blanket and a future stud, so I'm taking Darnell Washington. The guy is a freak of nature and a tremendous blocker; he's a tight end who doesn't come off the field. 

16. Commanders- CB Joey Porter Jr

This defense has got to get better on the back end. I debated between Porter and Banks, but I'm going with the physically imposing Porter.

17. Steelers- OT Dawand Jones

Tons of tackles getting taken in this first round. I really like Dawand Jones; his senior bowl was awesome, and he's gigantic. I've got the pass catchers, so now I want more protection for Pickett.

18. Lions- iDL Calijah Kancey

The Lions defense was really, really bad to start the season, and that isn't lost on me. Let's get more firepower for this pass rush.  JSN was considered here as well, but I decided against it. St. Brown is so good in the slot, and I don't want to take snaps away from him. None of the other WRs interested me here much. Kincaid was briefly considered, but I don't like 1 trick ponies at TE much.

19. Buccaneers- G O'Cyrus Torrence

The interior OL for Tampa Bay is god awful on paper. I'm taking Torrence here over Nolan Smith.

20. Seahawks- WR Jaxon Smith-Njigba

The first WR domino finally falls. This gives the Seahawks a really great WR trio for Geno Smith this year and whoever is playing QB for them next year.

21. Chargers- CB Deonte Banks

I can't pass on Banks here. He's too good a prospect at this point in the draft for any team with even a small CB need, and the Chargers definitely have a CB need.

22. Ravens- EDGE Nolan Smith

Same reasoning as Banks, but for EDGE. Smith is way too good a prospect to fall this far, so I'm super happy he's available here.

23. Vikings- WR Jordan Addison

Kind of a perfect compliment to JJ. KJ Osborn is a good player, but he's ideally your 3rd WR. Any WR group with JJ is already great, but Addison can take them to the next level.

24. Jaguars- DB Brian Branch

I'm running to the podium to take Branch. He's exactly what the Jaguars defense needs.

25. Giants- WR Zay Flowers

He's exactly the type of receiver Daboll likes, and I'm happy to oblige. He's got inside/outside versatility and a great ability to get open. None of the WR additions this offseason were long term moves, and as Duke Tobin said recently "if you want a WR, go draft your own".

26. Cowboys- DL Adetomiwa Adebawore

I strongly, strongly considered Bresee here, but I like Ade a lot more just in general, so why would I pass on him here? The outside pass rushing versatility he offers may be lost a bit on a team with Parsons, Lawrence, and Sam Williams coming on, but his ability on the inside should be of great value.

27. Bills- EDGE Will Mcdonald

I want strictly pass rushing juice here; Von is still on the team, but he's an injury liability at this point in his career. I've got a bunch of mid EDGE/DE type players that can play the run fine. I want a guy that I can sic on QBs on 3rd downs. I think Mcdonald is that guy. I strongly considered Drew Sanders here too, but I think Mcdonald is a better player overall.

28. Bengals- TE Dalton Kincaid

This pairing is so perfect to me. I generally don't like 1 trick pony tight ends, but the Bengals are a team who can easily find a way to use him, and use him super effectively. A little giddy about this one honestly. It just seems right.

29. Saints- EDGE Myles Murphy

The Saints need DL help badly. I originally had Ade here, but revised this draft to have the Cowboys take him a few picks before. Murphy is the best DL available.

30. Eagles- EDGE BJ Ojulari

I passed on EDGE at 10, but one still falls to me here at 30. I originally had Murphy falling here, which would have been a coup, but instead he goes just before this pick. Then I picked Van Ness for the Eagles, but I like Ojulari better, so I revised this pick to Ojulari. He joins his brother in the NFC East. I subscribe to the Eagles real MO of drafting- if I'm relatively lacking in holes on my roster, I'm stocking up on premium positions, like OL and DL/pass rushers.

31. Chiefs- WR Quentin Johnston

I really want a WR here. I'm not a big fan of Johnston, but here at the end of the first and with Patrick Mahomes, I'm happy to pick him. His YAC ability is truly impressive and translates, and that could be a really nice piece to add to this offense.

Notable first round exclusions: Bryan Bresee, Lukas Van Ness, Michael Mayer, Hendon Hooker, Cam Smith

Let me know if I'd make a good GM for your team!

A round 2 has been added on page 2!

Edited by minutemancl
  • Like 1

I can get behind McDonald. Or any edge player for that matter.

I know a lot of Bills fan on this forum disagree with me because of the investment they've made lately with picks and cap space. But if they get a true difference maker there, it helps the rest of the defense.

That's also why I like Drew Sanders. Could use him in a variety of ways and on obvious passing downs let him go get the QB and use Milano and Rapp at LB.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

I too last a minute and then mocked for it. 

I've been using the term "Minute Mock" for years here now and I think you are the first person to at least express finding any sort of humor in it, which I thank you for. It took too long.

• Like 1

I'm one of the few that would be happy to see Quentin Johnston to the Chiefs at #31.  Being a KSU fan I watched him twice vs my team, and 3 other Big 12 match-ups. Great length and YAC abilty - Mahomes will love him.

Really wouldn't like this for GB. But I also hate every mock with them taking a TE at 15. In the last two decades (because that's all I've cared to look) there's been exactly one TE to return the value of the pick (Olsen) and even be didn't flourish until he got away from the team that drafted him. Jury is still out on Hock, but he's also somewhere new just three years into the guys career. Then factor in how deep the TE class and another high quality option will be there in the 2nd or 3rd and it just doesn't make sense to go TE in the 1st. 

With what was left at 15, JSN, Kancey, or Murphy make way more sense

2 hours ago, minutemancl said:

8. Falcons- RB Bijan Robinson

You want to run 60% of the time? Then get personnel that will allow you to have successful runs close to 100% of the time. I'm leaning fully into the scheme Arthur Smith has been running the last few years. Bijan is the last blue chipper to be taken in this mock draft.

I like this pick a lot. I think Bijan would be an excellent fit here and could be like another Cordarrelle Patterson in terms of usage as more than just a RB.

2 hours ago, minutemancl said:

wr31. Chiefs- WR Quentin Johnston

I really want a WR here. I'm not a big fan of Johnston, but here at the end of the first and with Patrick Mahomes, I'm happy to pick him. His YAC ability is truly impressive and translates, and that could be a really nice piece to add to this offense.

Why?

The Chiefs have invested FA capital into not taking a WR. They are prepared to put a lot more weight on Kadarius Toney and Skyy Moore.

In any event, they would trade up to about #23 and grab the DL they want, Lukas Van Ness

21 minutes ago, onejayhawk said:

Why?

The Chiefs have invested FA capital into not taking a WR. They are prepared to put a lot more weight on Kadarius Toney and Skyy Moore.

In any event, they would trade up to about #23 and grab the DL they want, Lukas Van Ness

That Chiefs WRs are really not good. They'll function fine this season with no additions because Mahomes is Mahomes and Kelce is really the #1 target, but if that was the Giants WR corps for instance, everyone would be rightfully pointing out how week it is. 

You can try to put more weight on Toney, but he will crumble. Literally. He has never shown he can stay healthy in any capacity for any serious length of time.

1 hour ago, THE DUKE said:

I'm not onboard the Kincaid bandwagon, but I wouldn't hate it either.  It would essentially make Irv Smith superfluous.

Irv Smith is a fine #2 TE, but he's not anything special. Kincaid could very well be a special pass catching tight end. I don't think they are redundant at all. I'm trying to think who defenses would even have trying to cover Kincaid (from the slot, inline, doesn't matter) when Chase, Higgins, and Boyd are also all on the field. It's a nightmare.

1 hour ago, smetana34 said:

Really wouldn't like this for GB. But I also hate every mock with them taking a TE at 15. In the last two decades (because that's all I've cared to look) there's been exactly one TE to return the value of the pick (Olsen) and even be didn't flourish until he got away from the team that drafted him. Jury is still out on Hock, but he's also somewhere new just three years into the guys career. Then factor in how deep the TE class and another high quality option will be there in the 2nd or 3rd and it just doesn't make sense to go TE in the 1st. 

With what was left at 15, JSN, Kancey, or Murphy make way more sense

Understandable. Tight ends are just not a valuable position in the grand scheme of things. That said, I think Darnell Washington is a special player. Day 1 he will be a top-10, possibly top-5 blocking tight end in the NFL. His receiving skills are underrated because of how little he was used at Georgia in that capacity (that team is ridiculous by the way. Why wasn't he used in that role? Because they have Brock Bowers, who will probably also go top-15 next year). A tight end that can block inline like an OT and catch everything thrown his way because of his catch radius and athletic ability and has the ability to move after the catch is so incredibly valuable. Good defenses key in on personnel; they notice when a tight end that can't block is lined up inline. They also notice when a tight end who plods and can't get out of his breaks is lined up there as well. With Washington, he's a threat on every play. I understand I'm higher on him than most and the position isn't one of the most valuable, so I understand the hesitation to like my pick for sure.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, scar988 said:

I like this pick a lot. I think Bijan would be an excellent fit here and could be like another Cordarrelle Patterson in terms of usage as more than just a RB.

Allgeier, Robinson, and Patterson would be, if nothing else, insanely fun to watch. I want 32 personnel. Bring the chaos.

8 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

Irv Smith is a fine #2 TE, but he's not anything special. Kincaid could very well be a special pass catching tight end. I don't think they are redundant at all. I'm trying to think who defenses would even have trying to cover Kincaid (from the slot, inline, doesn't matter) when Chase, Higgins, and Boyd are also all on the field. It's a nightmare.

Understandable. Tight ends are just not a valuable position in the grand scheme of things. That said, I think Darnell Washington is a special player. Day 1 he will be a top-10, possibly top-5 blocking tight end in the NFL. His receiving skills are underrated because of how little he was used at Georgia in that capacity (that team is ridiculous by the way. Why wasn't he used in that role? Because they have Brock Bowers, who will probably also go top-15 next year). A tight end that can block inline like an OT and catch everything thrown his way because of his catch radius and athletic ability and has the ability to move after the catch is so incredibly valuable. Good defenses key in on personnel; they notice when a tight end that can't block is lined up inline. They also notice when a tight end who plods and can't get out of his breaks is lined up there as well. With Washington, he's a threat on every play. I understand I'm higher on him than most and the position isn't one of the most valuable, so I understand the hesitation to like my pick for sure.

I appreciate your efforts. These things take time to put together

• Like 1