Brock Purdy franchise QB?

49erurtaza

As we get closer to the end of the offseason I think this question will be asked a lot going forward.

The 49ers seem to be done with the Lance era. But is it a mistake? 

I read this article by Bruce Feldman on another coach's take on Purdy and thought it had some interesting points 

what I think is really making him successful is he is processing a lot of information pre-snap because they do a lot of motion, shifts, kills, alerts in that offense. It can be hard to just snap the ball and know which way to hand the ball off 

https://theathletic.com/4120213/2023/01/24/brock-purdy-49ers-nfl-draft-scouting-report/

In the article, the coach thought Purdy would be re-drafted in the 2nd or 3rd round due to being limited and more of a success due to scheme and talent. 

Are the 49ers being blinded by limited amount of games by Purdy? 

Edited by 49erurtaza

I think the sample size is definitely a justified concern. We’ve seen flash in the pan guys before.

Purdy does seem to have that it factor and seems to be very well liked in our locker room. I think there is something to be said about his confidence and his lack of fear of Kyle as well. 

• Like 5

It is hard to say what Purdy will become with a small sample size but I do not think he will prove to be a franchise caliber QB. Purdy is limited in some of the throws he can make and tries to extend too many plays where eventually he will end up taking some massive hits and I don't know if his body will be able to hold up. No doubt you can win with him and he is a gamer but I don't trust his body holding up and the average to below average arm strength will prevent him from being a franchise caliber QB.

All I can say is this: Jimmy G got us to a Super Bowl and Conference Championships. Purdy has proven to be better than Jimmy in the overall execution of this Offense and has already led us to a Conference Championship. Unfortunately, he was injured very early in the game. So I will say that I think he can be our franchise QB. Anywhere else? Maybe not. 

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, Chrissooner49er said:

All I can say is this: Jimmy G got us to a Super Bowl and Conference Championships. Purdy has proven to be better than Jimmy in the overall execution of this Offense and has already led us to a Conference Championship. Unfortunately, he was injured very early in the game. So I will say that I think he can be our franchise QB. Anywhere else? Maybe not. 

Yeah I would say likely no.. most teams rely on the QB to go above and beyond making plays.. this team just needs a guy to make the throws that are dialed up for him, and limit the mistakes as much as possible.. it's a unique situation to have a coach like Kyle and a murderers row of weapons to use. Just don't f it up Brock 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

It is hard to say what Purdy will become with a small sample size but I do not think he will prove to be a franchise caliber QB. Purdy is limited in some of the throws he can make and tries to extend too many plays where eventually he will end up taking some massive hits and I don't know if his body will be able to hold up. No doubt you can win with him and he is a gamer but I don't trust his body holding up and the average to below average arm strength will prevent him from being a franchise caliber QB.

Just one example, Aaron rodgers came in just 1.4 inches taller and 9 pounds heavier.. to the layman that seems pretty negligible. why worry about Brock holding up?

12 minutes ago, adamq said:

Just one example, Aaron rodgers came in just 1.4 inches taller and 9 pounds heavier.. to the layman that seems pretty negligible. why worry about Brock holding up?

Whatever Rodgers came in at, he was clearly bigger than what Purdy is right now when he actually took over as the starters. Purdy just has a small frame and likes to spin out of the pocket like he Wilson and I just don't see his body holding up. Some bad luck against Eagles that can happen to anyone but he also entered the league with average to below average arm strength unlike Rodgers. Not a great comparison IMO.

His current contract is a massive bargain, and there are still three more years on it, two if we consider the timeframe for an extension, for him to prove he's worth being paid like a franchise QB, but for now I'd say probably not. We're not likely to get someone better for the foreseeable future without letting some important players go, though, unless Lance manages to prove the doubters wrong

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Chrissooner49er said:

I don't think we can say that Brock is better than the version of JG prior to the injury. Jimmy was moving around the pocket really well, slinging it without any fear and running the offense extremely well. He doesn't make any of the throws that SB JG couldn't.

4 hours ago, adamq said:

Yeah I would say likely no.. most teams rely on the QB to go above and beyond making plays.. this team just needs a guy to make the throws that are dialed up for him, and limit the mistakes as much as possible.. it's a unique situation to have a coach like Kyle and a murderers row of weapons to use. Just don't f it up Brock 

Only problem with this line of thinking is that Kyle has yet to get it done with one of those QBs? As much as Kyle's system allows for QBs to look great they still need the QB to be able to make throws that matter in crucial moments and be able to create on the fly. There are always a few of those per game and when you get to the last few games of a playoff run those become even more important. 

7 hours ago, jonnguy2015 said:

His current contract is a massive bargain, and there are still three more years on it, two if we consider the timeframe for an extension, for him to prove he's worth being paid like a franchise QB, but for now I'd say probably not. We're not likely to get someone better for the foreseeable future without letting some important players go, though, unless Lance manages to prove the doubters wrong

This is really all that matters right now. His contract is so good that as long as he's just competent, we should be able to field a good team for the next three years. Will I have a ton of interest in him on a real contract? Do I think he can do well on a real salary? I Don't know...but not really a question I have to answer now. I have two years to see if I do or not. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, clarkfn2284 said:

I don't think we can say that Brock is better than the version of JG prior to the injury. Jimmy was moving around the pocket really well, slinging it without any fear and running the offense extremely well. He doesn't make any of the throws that SB JG couldn't.

Considering how little we saw of Jimmy before that ACL disaster, I am not certain that is correct. He was lights out in those 5 games he first started (was it 2017?), but we never saw anything like that afterward.  

• Like 1