AZ’s Final 2023 Mock Draft (probably)

AZBearsFan

1-9 OT Broderick Jones, Georgia

PJJ is my OT1 but I think he’s gone here. Jones has all the measurables Poles emphasizes (his size, length and test scores are almost identical to those of Braxton Jones), and has the highest upside of any of the top OT prospects in the draft. I’d o lug him in at LT day 1, move Brax to RT and let’s roll. 

2-53 DE Derick Hall, Auburn 

Hall is an edge rushing prospect with plus power, 4.55 speed, 34” arms and a relentless motor. Team captain in college who would fit really well with the Flus culture. 

2-61 OG/C Steve Avila, TCU

One of my favorite prospects in the draft. Played full seasons at both C and G for TCU. Vise grips for hands. Nasty, throw you out of the club demeanor. Another team captain. I think he’s the kind of tone setter we need at the pivot, and should be a day 1 starter there. 

3-64 CB Quan Martin, Illinois

For as much as we talked about Kyler Gordon’s versatility last year, I thought he looked better outside with the ability to flex inside. The selection of Martin here is with that in mind. The former safety has elite quickness and athleticism (1.44 10-yard split, 44” vertical 👀) with the demeanor to mix it up in the run game that we need at nickel. I love DJ Turner from Michigan in this same spot as well but think he goes R2. 

4-103 DT Karl Brooks, Bowling Green 

The MAC standout had 17.5 sacks the past 2 seasons for Bowling Green and looked the part of a potential impact player at the Senior Bowl. 2 year team captain. I see him as an immediate rotation player at 3T and maybe getting the majority share of reps early on. 

4-133 WR Kayshon Boutte, LSU

Some will love this pick and some will hate it, but I love this pick at this point. Boutte has undeniable talent but was inconsistent throughout college and has ankle issues that would need to check out. He’s a guy I look at and think, “He can be great… if he wants to be.” With this being an upside pick geared toward 2024 and beyond I like the risk at this price with the hopes that working with a strong vet presence in Moore helps him learn how to be a professional. He’s a prototypical boom-or-bust player IMO - he might be a stud in 3 years or might be out of the league. 

5-136 LB Dorian Williams, Tulane 

Speedy LB was a tackle machine at Tulane. He has the physical tools to be a standout in Flus’ scheme (plus length and speed, natural instincts as a blitzer) and was a core ST player throughout college. That’s probably where he starts out here, though I could see him pushing Sanborn at SLB too. 

5-148 DE Andre Carter, Army

This is a traits pick with a longer term outlook. Carter has ideal size and comes with a military work ethic, but needs an NFL strength program to max out his potential. I envision him as a likely game day inactive for much of 2023 with potential to be a rotational player in 2024 and potentially more over time. 

7-218 RB Evan Hull, Northwestern

At this stage of the draft you’re looking for useful pieces or traits. Hull is an asset in the passing game (88 rec. the past 2 seasons), has sub-4.5 speed and is known to be a relentless worker. He needs to improve as a pass protector but if he figures that out he’ll have a regular role in the NFL for a long time. A potential candidate for the Travis Homer role in time. Basically, I think he’s what they had hoped Ebner would be last year but wasn’t. 

7-258 DT PJ Mustipher, Penn State

Not gonna lie - taking Sam Mustipher’s younger brother here is a straight troll job. 🤷‍♂️

• Like 3

1 hour ago, AZBearsFan said:

PJJ is my OT1 but I think he’s gone here. Jones has all the measurables Poles emphasizes (his size, length and test scores are almost identical to those of Braxton Jones), and has the highest upside of any of the top OT prospects in the draft. I’d o lug him in at LT day 1, move Brax to RT and let’s roll. 

Hall is an edge rushing prospect with plus power, 4.55 speed, 34” arms and a relentless motor. Team captain in college who would fit really well with the Flus culture. 

One of my favorite prospects in the draft. Played full seasons at both C and G for TCU. Vise grips for hands. Nasty, throw you out of the club demeanor. Another team captain. I think he’s the kind of tone setter we need at the pivot, and should be a day 1 starter there. 

3-64 CB Quan Martin, Illinois

For as much as we talked about Kyler Gordon’s versatility last year, I thought he looked better outside with the ability to flex inside. The selection of Martin here is with that in mind. The former safety has elite quickness and athleticism (1.44 10-yard split, 44” vertical 👀) with the demeanor to mix it up in the run game that we need at nickel. I love DJ Turner from Michigan in this same spot as well but think he goes R2. 

4-103 DT Karl Brooks, Bowling Green 

The MAC standout had 17.5 sacks the past 2 seasons for Bowling Green and looked the part of a potential impact player at the Senior Bowl. 2 year team captain. I see him as an immediate rotation player at 3T and maybe getting the majority share of reps early on. 

Some will love this pick and some will hate it, but I love this pick at this point. Boutte has undeniable talent but was inconsistent throughout college and has ankle issues that would need to check out. He’s a guy I look at and think, “He can be great… if he wants to be.” With this being an upside pick geared toward 2024 and beyond I like the risk at this price with the hopes that working with a strong vet presence in Moore helps him learn how to be a professional. He’s a prototypical boom-or-bust player IMO - he might be a stud in 3 years or might be out of the league. 

5-136 LB Dorian Williams, Tulane 

Speedy LB was a tackle machine at Tulane. He has the physical tools to be a standout in Flus’ scheme (plus length and speed, natural instincts as a blitzer) and was a core ST player throughout college. That’s probably where he starts out here, though I could see him pushing Sanborn at SLB too. 

5-148 DE Andre Carter, Army

This is a traits pick with a longer term outlook. Carter has ideal size and comes with a military work ethic, but needs an NFL strength program to max out his potential. I envision him as a likely game day inactive for much of 2023 with potential to be a rotational player in 2024 and potentially more over time. 

7-218 RB Evan Hull, Northwestern

At this stage of the draft you’re looking for useful pieces or traits. Hull is an asset in the passing game (88 rec. the past 2 seasons), has sub-4.5 speed and is known to be a relentless worker. He needs to improve as a pass protector but if he figures that out he’ll have a regular role in the NFL for a long time. A potential candidate for the Travis Homer role in time. Basically, I think he’s what they had hoped Ebner would be last year but wasn’t. 

7-258 DT PJ Mustipher, Penn State

Not gonna lie - taking Sam Mustipher’s younger brother here is a straight troll job. 🤷‍♂️

Like beginning with needs/expected starters and then leaning projects/traits, makes a lot of sense with where this teams at. And I would say bravo for the Mustipher pick but you know that's probably Sam with a haircut and he'll end up back at center, right?

Edited by BEAR FACE DOWN ARROW

41 minutes ago, blkwdw13 said:

I have the same first two picks then have Tippman, but it's looking like he is going higher now. I like Avila though.

really wanted (pre-Moore trade so I could get more picks) to get an OL that had Jones - Avila - Tippmann - Jenkins - McGary. Just watch the defenses limping around. lol. Both have made jumps though so it would be nice to get one of them.

As for the draft I like it. Hall gives me some Bradley Chubb vibes. He plays with a ton of power and I think he could be 10 poiunds heavier with his hand being in the dirt constantly, but neither has/had great bend. Not enough stiffness to be an issue but not enough bend to be a strength.

Boutte is definitely one I am wary of. He had that stretch that made me see some Antonio Brown to his game, and looked like a top 3 WR in the draft class. This year when I saw him (limited) he didn't really pop to me. Is he a guy who becomes a stud or just gives the flash enough to get some overreations like Anthony Miller? 4th round is a good spot to gamble there IMO.

I 100% forgot Quan was even in this draft class.

Williams, Carter, and Hull all have traits that fit with what the staff wants it seems too.

Can the Bears draft Mustipher and just not offer him a contract at all? 😁

11 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

Kinda feels like we are all circling these guys. Hope we are right, as that would be a very nice way to start the draft

Ive never been big on Avila, mostly because he doesnt impress me as a Center/ If he was legitimately a Center, with the ability to also be a reliable Guard, he would probably rank much higher (Tippmann)

Just stealing my Thunder for my final Mock

4 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

Just stealing my Thunder for my final Mock

Great minds! 🍻 

• Like 1

Jones, Hall & Avila would be a great first 3 picks...I doubt Martin makes it out of the 2nd round...Brooks I like but not sure Flus likes his length...I like the Boutte & Williams picks but would probably switch the order of them...not a massive fan of the last 3 picks but I would take that for the first 6.

6 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

I doubt Martin makes it out of the 2nd round

TBF I have him as the 1st pick in round 3 in a spot that would normally be a 2nd round pick. 

6 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

Brooks I like but not sure Flus likes his length

His arms are 7/8” longer than those of Calijah Kancey and I haven’t seen anything about Kancey’s length being something that would take him off the board for the Bears. If we were building the ideal DT then yeah, more length, but I’d venture to guess that Flus just wants someone who can make impact plays.

1 hour ago, AZBearsFan said:

TBF I have him as the 1st pick in round 3 in a spot that would normally be a 2nd round pick. 

His arms are 7/8” longer than those of Calijah Kancey and I haven’t seen anything about Kancey’s length being something that would take him off the board for the Bears. If we were building the ideal DT then yeah, more length, but I’d venture to guess that Flus just wants someone who can make impact plays.

I’m thinking more Martin goes high-mid 2nd though…I think her versatility & athletic upside will have a ton of coaches wanting him as a movable piece and that holds more and more value these days…especially in a very weak safety class…

I’m not a Kancey guy to be fair so maybe that is clouding my judgement but for me when we hear these guys speak about length so often and remembering back to some of the coaching videos of Flus when he was first hired and how much he spoke about it all having to work together to fit the gaps and you need these long interior players I am just not sure he risks taking a shorter guy as much as I think Brooks is intriguing especially some of the 300lb stand up stuff he did.

3 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

I’m not a Kancey guy to be fair so maybe that is clouding my judgement but for me when we hear these guys speak about length so often and remembering back to some of the coaching videos of Flus when he was first hired and how much he spoke about it all having to work together to fit the gaps and you need these long interior players I am just not sure he risks taking a shorter guy as much as I think Brooks is intriguing especially some of the 300lb stand up stuff he did.

I’m not a Kancey guy either, but he illustrates a larger point that I think is relevant (not one necessarily specific to Kancey or Brooks though they fit) - there is so much obsession about traits and measurables that gets in the way of what matters more which is actual production. Can a guy play, or can’t he? How much of the bust factor in drafting at the NFL level stems from personnel guys obsessing over taking athletes who fit the mold in their heads and trying to make them better football players over taking guys who are actually good at football? There are tons and tons of guys who look like NFL players and who get drafted highly solely because of it who just aren’t ability-wise. I’m all for going after traits guys in the latter half of the draft or when you already have a pretty loaded roster but at the same time you need some floor guys too to offset those swings for the fences at some point too. If you’re trying to hit a home run with every pick you’re going to swing and miss a lot, and drafting those types of guys when you are in the position where you need the pick to produce is usually setting yourself up for failure. 

Edited by AZBearsFan

7 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

His arms are 7/8” longer than those of Calijah Kancey and I haven’t seen anything about Kancey’s length being something that would take him off the board for the Bears

About the Bears specifically? No. But CKs size and length have been a major talking point in the run up to the draft. 

53 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

About the Bears specifically? No. But CKs size and length have been a major talking point in the run up to the draft. 

He measures like Ed Oliver without as much upper body strength and slightly shorter arms. He has better agility but isn't quite as strong. How will that translate in the NFL? Who knows. But Donald isn't the only undersized DT to have success in the modern NFL.