Love is in the air! Poll!!

brownie man

What type of career will Jordan Love Have?  

160 members have voted

1. 1. Pick his career outcome

• Hall of Fame Player
    • All Pro/ Consistent Pro Bowler
    • Competitive Starter
    • Journeyman Starter
    • Backup
    • Bust

2 hours ago, ET80 said:

It's almost as if there's a symbiotic relationship between elite QBs and elite WRs (and TEs - because Gronk/Kelce are people too). 

Nobody is arguing that an elite WR doesn't make a QB look good.  But how many young QBs on that list were a QB with limited experience at their position ALONGSIDE with a WR with limited experience.  I think you could include Peyton Manning and Marvin Harrison, but that's about it.  Most of the examples you posted were either a veteran QB coming to a new team (i.e. Drew Brees, Steve Young) or a young player having an established WR/TE corps (i.e. Patrick Mahomes, Jalen Hurts).  It's not very often that a team who is bringing in a new QB trades away a superstar WR like the Packers did when they traded Davante Adams away.

2 hours ago, ET80 said:

Eventually, we're going to understand that good OL play is predicted by a QB that can make quick decisions and proper reads. New England couldn't block for Cam Newton or Mac Jones, but was a top 2-3 OL with Brady. Davis Mills was destroyed the last two years, but CJ Stroud is upright. Jameis Winston was a ragdoll, Drew Brees was rarely touched. Rodgers was wheeling and dealing, Love isn't.

Notice a pattern here? It's not JUST OL, the QB is just as important to this success.

Again, it's symbiotic.  A good OL can masquerade bad QB play.  A bad OL can make a good QB look poor.  A bad OL can also help masquerade bad QB play.  Right now, this thread seems to be of the belief that Love sucks, and nothing surrounding him is a reason for why Love has struggled the last few weeks.   That's why this thread is comical.  The WRs are young and inexperience, and the experienced OL is playing poorly.  Ignoring the context of Love's struggles isn't painting an accurate picture.   The only "good" part of the offense the last few weeks has been Aaron Jones, and he's played in 43 snaps out of a possible 258 snaps since Week 2.  That's less than 20% of the offensive snaps since Week 2.  There's nothing on this offense that's working right now.

1 hour ago, ET80 said:

I wouldn't blame you for last year - or this year, for that matter. It's not like the Texans are a prime time draw (but if Ryans and Stroud continue progressing in this direction, I do feel as if Texans/Jaguars will be flexed into prime time).

However, that doesn't change my question, or what I'm ultimately getting at: A franchise QB makes the supporting cast around them better

Is Jordan Love making those around him better?

currently no, he is not.  And I also don't pay close enough attention to know if some of the issues would be solved by someone like Rodgers calling out protection changes on the line, knowing exactly when the ball needs to get out, etc.  I'm sure this line would look at least a bit better with Rodgers.

But I don't agree with what you're getting at.  A franchise QB rarely is that in year one, nor should that be the expectation.  We can take Rodgers, not just a franchise qb but one many consider to be top 5 all-time.  He did not make his team better in year 1 (year 1 of starting).  He took over a team that had been in the NFCCG the year prior, was throwing to guys like Donald Driver and Greg Jennings rather than Doubs and Watson, and went 6-10.   With that said, the talent was clearly there, so I'm not saying Love will be anything close to Rodgers, but he also doesn't have to be.  

We need at least one year to see if Love can be a franchise qb.  The rest of the offense is doing him no favors, and in an assessment year that's a problem.

If Stroud can be that guy with little talent around him, then congratulations you should have 10+ years of success for your team.  I'll check him out, but maybe not this weekend as spending 3 hours on HOU @ CAR is a bit rough...

1 hour ago, ET80 said:

A rookie coaching staff - one that never held any of the positions they currently hold, one that never called plays, one that was the least experienced staff in football coming into the season?

I guess I was. 

I thought rookies were supposed to light the world on fire.

1 hour ago, ET80 said:

I wouldn't blame you for last year - or this year, for that matter. It's not like the Texans are a prime time draw (but if Ryans and Stroud continue progressing in this direction, I do feel as if Texans/Jaguars will be flexed into prime time).

However, that doesn't change my question, or what I'm ultimately getting at: A franchise QB makes the supporting cast around them better

Is Jordan Love making those around him better?

You have absolutely got to give credit to CJ Stroud for limiting the turnovers.  Right now, he's got the lowest INT% of the league.  Since 2016, there's only been 3 seasons where a QB posted a sub-1.0% INT% and all 3 of those belonged to Aaron Aaron Rodgers (2018, 2019, and 2021).  He's in incredibly rare territory.  If he can manage to keep that INT% rate low, I'd be THRILLED if I was a Texans' fan.  Odds are though it's going to bounce closer to league average.

Just now, incognito_man said:

What specifically? And which weeks? And which first year starting QBs didn't have issues 7 starts into their career?

He gets antsy in the pocket and alters his launch point unnecessarily. He makes it harder on himself than he needs.

Never said young starters don't have issues. I will say that I'd like to see him get better at that specific issue. If we're going to hold guys like Ridder to a standard, we're going to hold Love to a standard as well.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, General Tso said:

He gets antsy in the pocket and alters his launch point unnecessarily. He makes it harder on himself than he needs.

Never said young starters don't have issues. I will say that I'd like to see him get better at that specific issue. If we're going to hold guys like Ridder to a standard, we're going to hold Love to a standard as well.

which games and which plays?

the ones where his offensive line turned to trash? Agreed. He's been antsy in the pocket since they turned into a revolving door and he lost the best player on offense.

He looked totally different the first couple weeks when his supporting cast wasn't genuinely terrible.

Love has been impossible to judge the past few weeks. There's 1-2 guys making mistakes every play. Youth, talent and coaching are an issue across OL, TE, WR and RB (with Jones out).