Are you smarter than Gutekunst?? ........... 2023 shadow draft

squire12

• pick 13:  I would have went JSN.  Build around Love and see what he is.   like Van Ness, but would have preferred JSN
  • pick 42:  Staying with Musgrave.  Like the athlete at TE and see what he becomes 
  • pick 45:  Like the trade down to 48 to pick up a 5th (159)
  • pick 50:  Very happy with Reed.  early college production, high % of college passing game offense, route runner, has some alpha in him!!!
  • Assuming I pick JSN at 13, I stay at 48 and take Keeanu Benton
  • pick 78:  stick with Kraft.  Athletic TE.  small school will be an adjustment
  • pick 116:   I would have taken Braeden Daniels OL from Utah.   Wooden is a tweener, has some tools inside, just not sure he is stout enough for early down work.  Don't see him on the outside
  • pick 149:  NO to Sean Clifford.  I would have taken Darrel Luter Jr 
  • pick 159:   Stay with Dontayvion Wicks   really strong production his 1st opportunity with notable snaps in 2021.  dropped off last year, GB looks at the high point of college career as much as last year in college
  • pick 179:  stay with Karl Brooks.   Like the quickness.  Lowry replacement and a developmental piece for the 3/5T player
  • pick 207:  stay with Anders Carlson......bloodlines!!!!
  • Like 1

• pick 13:  I would have went JSN.  Build around Love and see what he is.   like Van Ness, but would have preferred JSN
  • pick 42:  Staying with Musgrave.  Like the athlete at TE and see what he becomes 
  • pick 45:  Like the trade down to 48 to pick up a 5th (159)
  • pick 50:  Very happy with Reed.  early college production, high % of college passing game offense, route runner, has some alpha in him!!!
  • Assuming I pick JSN at 13, I stay at 48 and take Keeanu Benton
  • pick 78:  stick with Kraft.  Athletic TE.  small school will be an adjustment
  • pick 116:   I would have taken Braeden Daniels OL from Utah.   Wooden is a tweener, has some tools inside, just not sure he is stout enough for early down work.  Don't see him on the outside
  • pick 149:  NO to Sean Clifford.  I would have taken Darrel Luter Jr 
  • pick 159:   Stay with Dontayvion Wicks   really strong production his 1st opportunity with notable snaps in 2021.  dropped off last year, GB looks at the high point of college career as much as last year in college
  • pick 179:  stay with Karl Brooks.   Like the quickness.  Lowry replacement and a developmental piece for the 3/5T player
  • pick 207:  stay with Anders Carlson......bloodlines!!!!
  • pick 235:  Lew Nichols.  stay with this.  solid build with good production.  dart throw for later round RB room with Dillon and Jones possibly moving on after 2023
  • pick 242:  Anthony Johnson Jr.  stay with this.  Needed a safety in a poor class
  • pick 256:  Grant DuBose.  Stay with this.  might be redundant with Wicks, but competition in the room and let the cream rise to the top

• pick 13:  Lukas Van Ness, EDGE, Iowa
  • pick 42:  Luke Musgrave, TE, Oregon State
  • pick 50:  Jalin Hyatt, WR, Tennessee
  • pick 78:  Tucker Kraft, TE, SDSU
  • pick 116:   Clayton Tune, QB, Houston
  • pick 149:  Kyu Kelly-Blu, CB, Stanford
  • pick 159:   AT Perry, WR, Wake Forest
  • pick 179:  Karl Brooks, DL, Bowling Green
  • pick 207:  Zack Kuntz, TE, Old Dominion
  • pick 232: Jake Witt, OT, Northern Michigan
  • pick 235:  Keaton Mitchell, RB, ECU
  • pick 242:  Anthony Johnson Jr, S, Iowa State
  • pick 256:  Grant DuBose, WR, Charlotte  

*Bold is where I went with a different pick than Gute. 

• Like 1

Alright, time to play this game.  I am going to pretend that I just gained overrule powers over Gute, for the picks that were made.  I am going to use his trades so this doesn't get even more confusing.

Round 1 pick 13:  Lukas Van Ness Edge:  I was tempted to take either Broderick Jones or Jaxon Smith-Njigba, but Van Ness is also one of my favorites.  I am going to stick with Van Ness, I think he makes the most sense, and I had been calling for a first round pass rusher since last draft.  Dave pick: Lukas Van Ness Edge

Round 2 pick 42:  Luke Musgrave TE:  Nobody will argue that we didn't need a TE.  But this is NOT my guy.  I would have gone in a completely different direction.  Dave pick:  Keanu Benton  DT

Round 2 pick 50:  Jayden Reed WR:  If you have read anything from me talking about WRs, you know this isn't my guy.  I was unaware of the medical red flag on Darnell Washington.  I probably would have known, had I been actually involved, but let's play the honesty game.  Dave pick:  Darnell Washington TE

Round 3 pick 78:  Tucker Kraft TE:  This is where I had hoped to take a safety.  I really liked both Illinois guys and they are long gone.  I think that I can get Ji'Ayur Brown or Jordan Battle in the fourth (also wrong) to cover my safety needs.  I also happen to really like Tucker Kraft.  I double up, just with Washington.  Dave pick:  Tucker Kraft TE

Round 4 pick 116:  Colby Wooden LB: Not going to lie, I actually forgot that we drafted this guy, so you can tell how pumped up I was about it.  All of the DBs that I thought would be here are gone.  All of the linemen that I thought were good projects are gone.  Even the slipping Kelee Ringo got taken.  I panic and grab my Mizzou guy.  Dave pick:  Isiah McGuire Edge

Round 5 pick 149: Voldemort QB:  No.  I am looking at a possible back up QB, but the ones I like just went.  I need a WR, but I think I can hold out a little longer for my guy.  And that evil genius, Joe Douglas leveraged Izzy right in front of me.  How very dare you Joe Douglas!? He is such a great GM.  I panic again.  Dave pick:  Keaton Mitchell RB

Round 5 pick 159:  Dontayvion Wicks WR: Now I am getting mad.  How did the Bills know that Justin Shorter was the WR I was holding out for, and they took him at 150, right after my pick!?  This reeks of collusion with Joe Douglas! You haven't heard the last of me Joe! As I am now furious, I just make every draft geek's heart grow 10 sizes.  Dave pick:  Zack Kuntz

Round 6 pick 169: Karl Brooks DE:  No lies, I don't know who this guy is at the time we picked him.  My very entry level look shows some really, really good things.  The ESPN guys love him too. I still haven't drafted a WR, and I see another one of my favorites has taken a tumble.  Dave pick:  AT Perry WR

Round 7 pick 232:  Carrington Valentine CB:  Candidate for best name in the draft.  He was on the best available list for like 2 rounds.  However, we are in Dave world, and I still have some other holes to fill.  I still need a back-up QB.  Dave pick:  Max Duggan QB

Round 7 pick 242:  Anthony Johnson Jr S:  At this point, we are looking a mostly FA targets.  You guys know what I like.  Dave pick:  Bryce Ford-Wheaton WR

Round 7 pick 256:  Grant DuBose WR:  Hard to argue.  Probably splitting hairs with my last pick.  But I just picked a WR.  Dave pick:  Hunter Luepke RB

After going through, I realize that I missed a 7th round pick.  I believe that Joe Douglas leveraged that pick from me using his voodoo spells and intensely aggressive negotiation techniques.  Nothing can be done.  He has an extra pick.  For free.

• Like 1

I'll play...But now I'm looking at from this point of view.  Who would I have taken versus who was taken.  I'm not trying to predict the Packer pick at all.

1.13 Jaxson Smith-Njigba over LVN.  (Don't get me wrong, I love LVN too, but I would have gone with WR here.)

2.48  Cody Mauch over Musgrave.  

2.50  Jalin Hyatt over Reed.

No issue with Kraft at all.  No issue with Wooden.  Anyone over Clifford.  Puka over Wicks.  No issue with Brooks.  No issue with Carlson.    And I don't much care either way for whoever was drafted in the 7'th.

With Gute's draft the Packers moved up in the Vegas odds.  Article

Green Bay had the fifth-best draft in the 16-team NFC

Following the draft, Green Bay is back in the No. 2 spot. The Lions remain a strong favorite at +140. They are followed by the Packers at +330, Vikings at +350 and Bears at +350.

Edited by pack4to84

1.13 = JG'BA!! ... finalists for this pick for me were JSN, Nolan Smith, LVN, and Broderick Jones in that order. I could have been talked into any of the other three. Left to my own devices, I take Jg'ba. Get the top WR in a very shallow class for the position, great complement to Watson and Doubs. Also, I would enjoy shouting "Jgba!" a lot.

I took LVN in a lot in simulator mock drafts, but usually only if JSN was gone.

2.42 = Musgrave

I said in a forum elsewhere before Day 2, take TE with the second of the two Round 2 picks *unless* there's a run on TEs. There was a run on TEs. I had Washington ahead of Musgrave for most of the process, then I heard before our pick that he has a history of foot injuries: big red-flag for skill guys. That alone would immediately make me switch him around with the next best guy, which to me was Musgrave.

2.45 = Brian Branch (trade down offer rejected)

Very tempting to move down just five spots and pick up the extra pick, but too tough to resist taking Branch. Branch probably is not an elite S at the next level, but he's a do-it-all DB who starts Day 1 at one of our weakest positions. In truth, I have wanted a S like him for a while now.

3.78 = Kraft

I double-dipped at TE often in mock draft simulators, with Kraft often being the second dip. Nobody else available stands out as clearly above the rest to me as Kraft does.

4.116 = IOL: Sidy Sow, Braeden Daniels, whoever.

I wanted an inside guy to push Hanson off the roster, give us a potential solution at C next year if Myers doesn't get it together or at RG if we let Runyan walk. Lots of options there, I am not overly particular as to who.

5.149 = Wicks

Need more bodies for a very empty WR room.

(5.159 don't have, didn't trade down with DET)

6.179 = Brooks

I liked Brooks, and haven't added a DT yet, so yeah.

Beyond this point, too unpredictable. I liked a lot of guys available at our remaining picks, no idea how I would have resolved it in real time without using hindsight.

Gute did it better: Reed makes more sense for us than Branch and we got an extra pick out of it, and mine does not add Front-7 help until the sixth with only better IOL to show for it.

Edited by Gopher Trace
  • Like 1