2023 NFL Draft Day 3 Discussion

Packerraymond

The thing about the TEs too is that we don' t know how teams stacked their tiers for TEs.  Throughout the whole process the draft media was talking about "Kincaid, Mayer, and Washington are the three first round TEs", but it's entirely plausible that actual NFL teams had Mayer and Washington graded in the same tier as like Musgrave or Kraft.

We might find out what the Packers thought since if they're going to move up for a TE it's "to get the last guy in the tier."  If Mayer and Washington go and they take Musgrave, then we figure that the difference there isn't enormous to the Packers.

7 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

I don' t think the TEs have "fallen"  so much as "NFL teams largely didn't reach for non-premium positions." 

well, except for 2 RBs in the top 15.

To me - nobody was enthralled by any one player it was more like "there's a bunch of good guys here" type of deal.  All worthy of low 1st high 2nd picks. Think they will go fast and furious now that the best athletes are taken at the other positions.

23 minutes ago, Haha21 said:

What is the medical red flag you mentioned? I haven't heard about that.

https://catcrave.com/posts/3-late-carolina-panthers-rumors-drawing-buzz-2023-nfl-draft

"One high-profile prospect who some teams have flunked medically is Georgia tight end Darnell Washington. Along with the medical, some team sources said there are some minor character concerns. If Washington slides on the second day of the 2023 NFL Draft, the medical and the character will be the reasons why."

2 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

I don't think we know, but thought there was something out there that teams had concerns?

Also read that a few days ago. The person that wrote it said a number of teams took him off their boards and with the Packers history on these things it wouldn't be surprising if they one of them if the medical issues are true. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, skibrett15 said:

well, except for 2 RBs in the top 15.

To me - nobody was enthralled by any one player it was more like "there's a bunch of good guys here" type of deal.  All worthy of low 1st high 2nd picks. Think they will go fast and furious now that the best athletes are taken at the other positions.

well..... those 2 teams were Atlanta and Detroit.  Not exactly the model for roster building as a franchise 

The Bijan pick makes a certain sense.  He's probably the best RB to come out in like 15 years and that guy is probably more valuable to your team than a lot of other things you could get (particularly given that the Falcons already have a running game that largely works.)  So that pick is just about opportunity cost.

The Gibbs pick is just baffling.  You can kind of forgive the Lions pick of Campbell because this is not a good class to get an ILB and there's like 2 guys period, but it's not like Gibbs is that much better than Achane.

2 minutes ago, R T said:

Also read that a few days ago. The person that wrote it said a number of teams took him off their boards and with the Packers history on these things it wouldn't be surprising if they one of them if the medical issues are true. 

yup - just found the source and posted it above

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

i didn't pay much attention to josh downs. He's like a combo of JSN and Zay Flower light

Has an 8.50 RAS if you include his elite pro day agility numbers (4.00 SS, 6.87 3C)

Too short and too light. For the second round they are likely looking at Hyatt and Mingo early…. Rice, Perry, Wicks late or in round three.

Trey Palmer is an interesting fit. Blocks well so he might get a boost for that. Low end of their typical thresholds.

2 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

The Bijan pick makes a certain sense.  He's probably the best RB to come out in like 15 years and that guy is probably more valuable to your team than a lot of other things you could get (particularly given that the Falcons already have a running game that largely works.)  So that pick is just about opportunity cost.

The Gibbs pick is just baffling.  You can kind of forgive the Lions pick of Campbell because this is not a good class to get an ILB and there's like 2 guys period, but it's not like Gibbs is that much better than Achane.

Tyler Allgeier was really, really, really good value for them already.

They're starting Okudah at CB. Gonzalez was probably a MUCH better value pick there for them

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

yup - just found the source and posted it above

Two Georgia kids dropping because of 'concerns!' Last year they kicked a kid off the team that was a 1st round talent because of a rape charge. 

What the hell is going on down there? 

2 hours ago, incognito_man said:

Haha, I said this last night. I hope someone trades a 4th for Preston and a 3rd to get away from gross contract 

I think preston smith could be a trade deadline deal for us.  Saves 2M in 2023, and 2 in 2024, but if we get a pick back it's probably worth to move on now when he has some value elsewhere.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JBURGE said:

but I like him :( 

The one take away got from looking at last year’s “Are you smarter than Gute?” Was you were all about Bo Melton in the 5th, so we know you like the small speedsters. I’m happy we got Melton, and hope we get another shifty receiving threat, but think I would prefer that at RB. Just don’t know if this f/o will take a guy that little at WR. 

1 minute ago, Green19 said:

Too short and too light. For the second round they are likely looking at Hyatt and Mingo early…. Rice, Perry, Wicks late or in round three.

Trey Palmer is an interesting fit. Blocks well so he might get a boost for that. Low end of their typical thresholds.

depends on the goal. If it's a true, true slot WR, Downs is a nice consolation prize after JSN and Flowers. He has a bit of both of them in his game. Best WR at contested catches in 2022, extremely savvy route runner (i'd argue he's on par with JSN there. I see what atozsports saw, crafty at setting up defenders). Definitely doesn't meet historic GB WR measurements, but we have a room full of those guys right now. 

IF (a big if), MLF wants a true slot guy mold in his offense, Downs fits that well.