NFL Draft GDT (NO SPOILERS!!))

Forge

2 hours ago, JIllg said:

Loving these later picks. I like Willis a lot more than Latu. Less stiff, more fluid, better able to release, run routes, and break tackles. God the coaching staff needs to lose their trump privileges on early round picks. I’d be freaking disgusted if I was a front office guy kicking this much *** all the time with this much stupid personnel decisions being thrust upon me.

Preach GIF

4 hours ago, JIllg said:

Willis seems tailor made for the role that Jordan Reed had two years ago. That can be a very valuable roster spot if he takes it up and plays like Reed did. Loved Ronnie Bell. Tough as nails. Runs solid routes. Reliable hands. Blocks for you. Seems like a quality fit for the bigger slot role held by Jennings and Kendrick Bourne (he’s a touch short for this, but whatever, it isn’t like we use the height for much). Really liked Winters. We’ve done great with UDFA LBs, so I’d have looked at other positions, but he’s worth a pick for me. Could definitely nail down a roster spot even with the good options that we have. Really liked Luter. Scrappy, 6 foot ish guy who can play some scheme versatile outside corner. Beal is a flyer of their tweener DE preference. Those sort of dudes flew off the board. Have to feel he’s a bit of a fallback, but he’s got a lot of physical gifts. I don’t know enough about Graham to have a take on him. But they took players that I thought were solidly draftable and rosterable with some actual upside today. I’ll take it. 

Totally agree.  I think outside of the Brown, I would be happier with this draft if it were in the reverse order with Willis, Bell, and Winters being the first picks, and Latu and the kicker being 7th round flyers. Whatever, in the grand scheme of things it doesn't make a difference who gets picked first as, long as they are in the building

Edited by Steve_DeBerg_Fan_420
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, JIllg said:

Loving these later picks. I like Willis a lot more than Latu. Less stiff, more fluid, better able to release, run routes, and break tackles. God the coaching staff needs to lose their trump privileges on early round picks. I’d be freaking disgusted if I was a front office guy kicking this much *** all the time with this much stupid personnel decisions being thrust upon me.

I've had the same thought a few times this off-season. Our scouts must hate our coaches and lynch especially considering we have made two large trades to give up a lot of picks (Trey and CMC). 

7 hours ago, AustrianNiner said:

Day 2 was a car crash, Day 3 was fine.

Didn't do any scouting this year but after watching some brown, beal, and winters, it seems like we are going to be dialing up the pressure on qbs this year.

I love coming after QBs will speedy defenders, especially considering the athletic profile of modern qbs. 

I love the way Brown and winters come downhill and pursue the football. They both can blitz from a lot of different alignments and come downhill with purpose and intention. 

I think there is a lot of overlap in how they play the game and I think we will have a ton of success with overload/zone/delayed blitzes with both of these guys.

Honestly both guys have similar styles to hufanga. I can see why we liked both of them. Really excited about how they plan to use them. 

Winters looks like a phenomenal athlete on the field. Even though he is "undersized" as a LB I think he has an NFL build. Not a lot of wasted movement and he seems to process really well. Keep him clean and he will make tons of plays. I think Fred Warner is the perfect mentor for him. Winters can be a special player in a year or two but in the meantime he seems like he will be a special team ace and a guy the fanbase will embrace really early on. 

Will get to the offensive guys later but I like what I've seen from this day 3 class. I am shocked we did not take a single OLman. 

• Like 2

Willis looks like a guy who could eventually take over for Juice. Not sure how he fits in the traditional in-line role but the way he was used in college, he could transition to FB seamlessly imo.

I thought Worner would slide into that role eventually when he was drafted but he isn't as fluid of a pass-catcher in space like Juice. Willis seems like a better fit with his skillset and physical profile.

4 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

Willis looks like a guy who could eventually take over for Juice. Not sure how he fits in the traditional in-line role but the way he was used in college, he could transition to FB seamlessly imo.

I thought Worner would slide into that role eventually when he was drafted but he isn't as fluid of a pass-catcher in space like Juice. Willis seems like a better fit with his skillset and physical profile.

Willis made some sweet catches and won in the RZ where I think he would get some looks at TE and not just FB. But he definitely looks like a hybrid type of offensive player that will be able to play some FB, TE and even line up in the slot at times. I can definitely see him end up being better and more effective than Latu. 

• Like 2

San Francisco 49ers

The 49ers were the worst team in the 2023 NFL Draft, according to the consensus board. Not only did they reach for a position traditionally never picked in the first three rounds with their selection of kicker Jake Moody — ranked 275th overall — they consistently picked against value. Only two of their picks gained any value at all — seventh-round pick Ronnie Bell, a receiver from Michigan, and sixth-round pick Dee Winters, a linebacker from TCU.

Other than that, every other pick lost value — by a pretty substantial margin. Cameron Latu was an 87-rank reach, while Robert Beal Jr. was picked almost 50 ranks ahead of where he was on the consensus board. The 49ers are often fairly odd, but they generally tend to find value.

Lol

4 hours ago, Forge said:

San Francisco 49ers

The 49ers were the worst team in the 2023 NFL Draft, according to the consensus board. Not only did they reach for a position traditionally never picked in the first three rounds with their selection of kicker Jake Moody — ranked 275th overall — they consistently picked against value. Only two of their picks gained any value at all — seventh-round pick Ronnie Bell, a receiver from Michigan, and sixth-round pick Dee Winters, a linebacker from TCU.

Other than that, every other pick lost value — by a pretty substantial margin. Cameron Latu was an 87-rank reach, while Robert Beal Jr. was picked almost 50 ranks ahead of where he was on the consensus board. The 49ers are often fairly odd, but they generally tend to find value.

Lol

Honestly, stuff like this doesn’t really matter much to me. We all know front offices evaluate and value players differently than the media does and I trust front offices more than I trust media evaluators. Stuff like this is incredibly subjective.

It’s clear the niners were in a bad spot for the TE and OT market and just missed the boat all together. Not much they could do about it unless they wanted to have a 3 person draft class.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, NinerNation21 said:

Honestly, stuff like this doesn’t really matter much to me. We all know front offices evaluate and value players differently than the media does and I trust front offices more than I trust media evaluators. Stuff like this is incredibly subjective.

It’s clear the niners were in a bad spot for the TE and OT market and just missed the boat all together. Not much they could do about it unless they wanted to have a 3 person draft class.

I'm almost positive we are at the bottom of these rankings every year lol

• Like 1

Just now, Forge said:

We are....which is why grading a draft the day after is complete nonsense.

You're basing it on your projection of who will be top contributors, pre-draft.

Basically who got the highest rated player, based on your perceived value, according to your big board.

But if your player eval is off, your big board means nothing in the grand scheme of things.

The Iggles looked like the clear winners of Round 1.

But if Carter and Smith both don't live up to expectations, it was much to do about nothing.

It's mainly to be a talking point after the fact but these rankings are for ****s & giggles.

50 minutes ago, Forge said:

Well, to be fair, there is more emphasis put on higher round grades than late round grades and we do a lot of damage towards the end of the draft. Usually when our top picks are criticized, the draft pundits are correct majority of the time. 

This draft will produce at least a starting safety for years to come as well as our kicker of the future. We just need one more starter from the remaining picks and a few good STs/rotational players and the draft will be more than solid. 

• Like 2

On 4/30/2023 at 2:09 AM, N4L said:

Didn't do any scouting this year but after watching some brown, beal, and winters, it seems like we are going to be dialing up the pressure on qbs this year.

I love coming after QBs will speedy defenders, especially considering the athletic profile of modern qbs. 

I love the way Brown and winters come downhill and pursue the football. They both can blitz from a lot of different alignments and come downhill with purpose and intention. 

I think there is a lot of overlap in how they play the game and I think we will have a ton of success with overload/zone/delayed blitzes with both of these guys.

Honestly both guys have similar styles to hufanga. I can see why we liked both of them. Really excited about how they plan to use them. 

Winters looks like a phenomenal athlete on the field. Even though he is "undersized" as a LB I think he has an NFL build. Not a lot of wasted movement and he seems to process really well. Keep him clean and he will make tons of plays. I think Fred Warner is the perfect mentor for him. Winters can be a special player in a year or two but in the meantime he seems like he will be a special team ace and a guy the fanbase will embrace really early on. 

Will get to the offensive guys later but I like what I've seen from this day 3 class. I am shocked we did not take a single OLman. 

It looks to me like Wilks is putting his stamp on the D. I like it, a lot.

As to the 2nd bolded part: It's too late--I loved the Winters pick immediately. The only pick that threw me was Latu. Loved all the others--even Moody! 

We can reach the endzone on kick offs now! 50+ yard FG? No worries. $4 Million per year? Fuhgedaboutit! We save money and go younger and stronger. But, I still feel the same way Steve Young does about FGs: every single one is 1 step closer to losing.

2 minutes ago, Chrissooner49er said:

It looks to me like Wilks is putting his stamp on the D. I like it, a lot.

As to the 2nd bolded part: It's too late--I loved the Winters pick immediately. The only pick that threw me was Latu. Loved all the others--even Moody! 

We can reach the endzone on kick offs now! 50+ yard FG? No worries. $4 Million per year? Fuhgedaboutit! We save money and go younger and stronger. But, I still feel the same way Steve Young does about FGs: every single one is 1 step closer to losing.

4-10 doesn't really give m that much hope for those 50+ yarders. Feel Moody is more that Gould type where he kicks everything under 50 very consistent but over that isn't really his thing. 

1 minute ago, Justone2 said:

4-10 doesn't really give m that much hope for those 50+ yarders. Feel Moody is more that Gould type where he kicks everything under 50 very consistent but over that isn't really his thing. 

True. 

No more short fields for opposing teams on kick offs. 

I couldn't even finish watching Peacock's tripe about our draft he hated that Moody pick so much. He made like the short kick offs by Gould were not a liability....I am certain they were. 

Edited by Chrissooner49er
  • Like 1