1st round, 2nd overall: QB CJ Stroud

Texansfan713

Why is Ohio State football's C.J. Stroud facing pre-draft backlash? Hey,  Nathan! - cleveland.com

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/c.j.-stroud/32005354-5270-2090-cc17-67cd6da43535

Overview

Two-year starter from a program with a high-octane offense known for creating high-level production opportunities for its quarterbacks. Stroud’s accuracy stands out on tape. He’s able to lead receivers with good placement and make on-frame throws to targets on all areas of the field. The question now is how quickly he will acclimate outside of the Ohio State scheme. Stroud didn’t often attack defenses with his legs, but if he can become a more willing runner, he will be able to extend drives rather than feeling forced into more challenging decision-making situations. NFL teams will have to balance what they saw on tape from Stroud during the 2022 regular season against his great College Football Playoff semifinal performance, when he shined versus Georgia’s impressive collection pro prospects. If he did it once he can do it again, and grading the flashes for Stroud might make the most sense.

Texans fans we have a QB again!

I think we need to appreciate the order of events on these back-to-back picks:

- Media spun that Texans weren't picking Stroud.

- Arizona started getting several calls from teams to jump Indy to get Stroud. Pick value goes UP.

- Texans pick Stroud.

- Arizona's pick immediately loses suitors

- Texans offer is the last one standing.

This was some Oceans 11 stuff... and only achievable if the Texans played out this story until 20 minutes before they were on the clock. The Texans just played a lot of teams like a fiddle.

This was a MASTERPIECE. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, ET80 said:

I think we need to appreciate the order of events on these back-to-back picks:

- Media spun that Texans weren't picking Stroud.

- Arizona started getting several calls from teams to jump Indy to get Stroud. Pick value goes UP.

- Texans pick Stroud.

- Arizona's pick immediately loses suitors

- Texans offer is the last one standing.

This was some Oceans 11 stuff... and only achievable if the Texans played out this story until 20 minutes before they were on the clock. The Texans just played a lot of teams like a fiddle.

This was a MASTERPIECE. 

i saw some stuff that said Levis was the 2nd ranked QB on our board:

interesting to see how far the smokescreen goes. like is the janitor leaking our draft board? lmao

CJ smiling and seeing him emotional after the pick was really sweet. rooting for him as a person as well as a fan

• Like 2

4 hours ago, tab said:

I saw some stuff that said Levis was the 2nd ranked QB on our board:

I think yesterday sort of proved that Will Levis wasn't really high on anyone's board. He has legitimate concerns and GMs avoided him all night. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ET80 said:

I think yesterday sort of proved that Will Levis wasn't really high on anyone's board. He has legitimate concerns and GMs avoided him all night. 

I didn't know anything about his toe injury being an issue until this morning

5 hours ago, Texans02 said:

No complaints. Stroud had a very nice career at OSU and played some of his best games in his biggest games.

I can envision him performing similar to Deshaun during his good seasons, if he develops the way the team hopes.

Wanted to pop in and say congrats. You guys got a good one and I truly believe CJ Stroud is going to be that guy for you as a OSU fan.

Here is a brief evaluation from somebody who watched every single game of his college career:

Pros: He is the best quarterback in this draft. In terms of standing in the pocket, making reads, delivering throws exactly where they need to be--hes the best. Stroud makes NFL level throws routinely that I believe only 8-10 QBs currently in the league are capable of making. Im talking throws like the one in the Rose Bowl last year where he is dropping the ball in a bucket from 30 yards out in the back corner of the endzone over the DBs head where only his WR can get it. He is consistently pinpoint accurate 10+ yards downfield and is something that I dont remember many prospects in recent memory having along with his ability to throw the ball between layers of the defense. He is not scared to make any throw and CAN make every throw.

He is almost flawless in terms of his throwing motion and mechanics so you will never have to worry about coaches taking time to 'correct' things with his setup or delivery. CJ Stroud throws a football as smooth and pretty as Chris Olave runs routes. Lastly, he is far more athletic than given credit for. He opened it up a bit here and there during the season and CJ is a absolute natural multi-sport athlete with enough speed to be dangerous.

Cons: Like all OSU QBs, people are concerned with processing because he has so much time in the pocket regularly. There are definitely times where he gets mentally sped up by a really good defensive front and gets flustered. Making typical young QB snap decisions, taking sacks or throwing bad passes into coverage because of the pressure. He answered a lot of this concern in the Georgia game where they constantly brought guys at him and he showed tremendous pocket presence delivering passes even when under fire.

I think this is something that will improve with age and time in the NFL. The other thing I wish he would display more of is becoming more of a threat outside of the pocket. There are times where he gets outside away from the rush and will either scamper out of bounds or take a check down. He needs to learn to let er rip.

Final: He is incredibly gifted with his arm, has prototype size and underrated athleticism. He might be a guy like Justin Fields where in the NFL he displays a LOT more of his athletic ability than he ever showed at OSU. He also needs to trust his line play and be mentally comfortable even when the rush is on.

I honestly think his ceiling is Justin Herbert. His middle ground is Jared Goff and floor is Daniel Jones.

Please for the love of god invest in the OL unlike what the Bears did with Justin Fields. You put a top 10 OL out there and you have your QB for the next decade. Ill be watching/rooting for you guys.

Cheers🎉🎉

Edited by AkronsWitness
  • Like 4

I'm now starting to feel like the Texans might have leaked that they wanted Young because they actually wanted Stroud. He is the best thrower that's come out in at least a couple of years. I feel like we might actually be able to hang at some point soon. I feel like he's gonna roll out on those bootlegs and he's jut gonna throw dimes out there. I wonder if these WRs we have are actually good enough..

Robert Woods, Noah Brown, Nico Collins, John Metchie, Amari Rodgers, you could also throw Dalton Schultz in there for the purposes of this debate, and TQ. I think we still add one, but it doesn't seem like as high a priority as I thought it would be. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Pastor Dillon said:

Is there any chance that Stroud isn’t a week 1 starter?

I'd be surprised if he isn't, but ultimately I think you only start him if it is what is best for his development. That is the paramount thing to consider. Not team wins/losses. Not fans. 

• Like 2

CJ Stroud is living his best life right now - face of the youngest franchise in football, 4th largest city in the US… and now a custom grill courtesy of Paul Wall and Johnny Dang? 

Stroud is gonna LOVE this city. And we’re gonna love him right back.