2.50 - Jayden Reed [WR; Michigan State]

CWood21

1 hour ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I think with Reed, we have a guy that could line up outside, but will probably be used in the slot more often.  Cobb was able to do that, and even played from the backfield sometimes.  It won't look like Lazard or EQ, but he can probably move around the formation just fine.

This is how I see Reed.  I think even old Cobb has shown he can be plenty effective in MLF's offense.

1 hour ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

I don't really see that either. 

On any of my draft boards, Reed would have a giant red flag next to his name that reads "high percentage of his catches are contested"

Both AB and Diggs were absolutely tremendous at separating. They had some of the lowest contested catch percentages in the league.

Haven't put too much tape time into him yet, but watching all his Senior Bowl reps, I'd have a hard time believing this has much to do with him. They couldn't cover him with anyone there.

Also, #1 success rate vs press this year among all eligible draft picks. 87th percentile. 73rd percentile dominator rating, 98th percentile breakout age.

• Like 3

Surprised they went away from the usual template that early in the draft but I get it.  He certainly plays more physical and makes more contested catches than you would expect for his size.  Not as worried as I usually would be about him holding up.

Certainly brings a new aspect to the WR room that has been missing and I'm sure MLF has some ideas already on how to get the ball in his hands.

2 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

On any of my draft boards, Reed would have a giant red flag next to his name that reads "high percentage of his catches are contested"

A lot, and I mean a lot, of that has to do with QB play at Michigan State. 

• Like 1

I think getting "good" at pick 50 would be a happy outcome.  I'm not expecting a superstar like Brown, or one of the best receivers in the league for years and years like Diggs, or one of the Packers best receivers ever in Jennings, or Davante Adams.  I'm hoping for a good, useful, effective player.  I don't know anything, who knows?  We'll see, perhaps he'll end up being a JAG and the kind of guy that 10-loss play.  But I tend to trust the analysis and logic of the Packers scouting on receivers, and think he's got a chance to be a good value for pick-50.  I thought Sullivan's comment that he's be complementary to Doubs and Watson was also interesting.  Obviously they considered that, and rightfully so.  

Didn't realize Reed had the background as a returner.  Acme labels him as possibly the top punt returner in the class.

Reed is a fast receiver who can play both in the slot and as an outside receiver. His calling card might be punt returns, though, as many considered him the best return man in the class.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, R T said:

I'm not crazy about undersized players because the laws of physics weigh heavily in the game of football. With that said, if they are going to draft an outlier at WR it doesn't hurt that he epitomizes the saying 'It's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog'. And that seems to be Jayden Reed....

Well stated.  I do think in terms of the physics, there may be some different pros and cons to different body sizes/shapes.  Advantages for size/length are obvious.  But I do think that there are COD, shiftiness, stop-and-go factors where physics favors guys who aren't so long.  I'm kinda hoping that works to Reed's advantage, enough to enable him to be effective.  We'll see, time will tell.    

7 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

this pick is based on someone who apparently broke out in the senior bowl after having a really BAD senior season and a quite good junior season.

You have to throw out his senior season to justify the pick, and that's what the Packers did here.

freshman year   56 rec // 797 yards // 14.2ypc // 8 TD's

That is really great production for a college freshman WR 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, craig said:

complementary to Doubs

I don't see how the Packers aren't looking for someone to take the WR1/WR2 role and run with it.  Doubs had an acceptable rookie season but plenty of guys plateau from there.  He has a lot to prove, especially as a reliable possession receiver opposite Watson.

Likewise, Watson is no lock to be the target/reception leader on the team.  That role is also still wide open.  Reed is gonna have every opportunity to win a job, earn that trust and go with it.  

For all of you actually looking for an upside comp - I think something like Emmanuel Sanders is more reasonable.  Sanders is still probably the better athlete and you could call Sanders a poor man's Diggs and Reed is probably a poor man's Sanders.  Point being they have enough speed to stretch the field but it isn't their calling card, run all the routes, and have reliable possession traits that you look for in a WR 1 but not the physical domination that taller guys do.

• Like 1