2nd Round Pick - S/CB Jartavius Martin

MKnight82

“Starting at the Star nickel position for all 13 games for the nation's top scoring defense, he garnered third-team All-Big Ten Conference honors in his fifth season (64 tackles, three for loss with one sack, three interceptions, 11 pass breakups, two forced fumbles). -- by Chad Reuter

Versatile cornerback/safety prospect with the size and physical talent to play nickel back or align as a deep safety. A buttery smooth hip swivel allows him to glide and transition effectively from his pedal, but he has just average route recognition to stay connected to clever route runners. Martin’s speed and explosiveness at the NFL Scouting Combine was eye-catching, but he needs to play consistently to that speed on the field. A team will need to decide where to play him, but he has the potential to become an early contributor and a starter further down the road.“

I mean who doesn't love buttery smooth hip swivel? Hips don't lie! Shakira! Shakira!

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/jartavius-martin/32004d41-5264-5121-58ce-d7c1593339a8

Dare I say we might have actually gotten a dog with our second round pick!!! Pressure is on Quan 2nd rounders here seem to suck so please just be the special player you are because he is a really really good football player. Can play 3 spots and has actually played 4 with outside CB. He’s the type of defender that changes the dynamic in the modern schemes.

• Like 2

On 5/3/2023 at 5:50 PM, MikeT14 said:

I mean I love to hear it. I hope it translates. Give me a honey redwolf (work in progress and I’m on my 4th mojito)

I've been cutting my own hair most of the time since the pandemic started and the barbers tell me I do a good job when I do go to them every few months, so he's got my vote.

I really like him as a replacement for Bobby Mccain. That keeps Curl at his more natural position of SS & DeFo as FS. If Forbes & Martin check out, Rivera & Mayhew would have rebuilt our secondary w/ young talent playmakers rather quickly which is awesome.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lavar703 said:

I don't hate this pick but it really should've been O'Cyrus Torrance. There's a giant hole at LG right now. Its actually silly they didn't address it at all. 

There was a giant hole a slot CB too. Their next 2 picks can play Guard.

1 hour ago, lavar703 said:

I don't hate this pick but it really should've been O'Cyrus Torrance. There's a giant hole at LG right now. Its actually silly they didn't address it at all. 

I guess they believe that Daniels can be a back up OT but may end up being a starting guard some day. They also must have faith is Cosmi and that a competition between Saahdiq Charles & Chris Paul will result in at worse a serviceable LG. I have my doubts about that, I would’ve taken Torrence too - heck I even considered him being worth 16 - but they must have faith in the in-house young guys bc they didn’t even re-sign Wes S or sign another vet guard, but they could still draft a vet guard in August/Sept after cuts if they don’t like what they’re getting out of Norwell, Charles & Paul. 

The interior OL is a fluid situation it seems which sucks, bc even last year I felt we were more stable there bc at this time we knew Roullier would be staring alongside Norwell w/ Wes S or Trai Turner starting at RG.

This year I feel we have potential at LG, C & RG but no definite answers.

21 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

I think it comes down to which prospect they liked better & obviously they liked Martin better than Torrence. Also, as I think you said they may be moving to more of a zone based run blocking system (ZBS) Kirk when we had the Shanahan’s and in 2014 before Gruden/Allen/McCloughan scrapped that run system for the man blocking system.

If this is the case, outside of drafting a LT high possibly we’ll probably be drafting OL more in the mid to late rounds who are less than 320 pounds and who are really athletic for their size such as Braden Daniels. We will also be signing those type of OL in FA too.

Edited by turtle28

11 minutes ago, RSkinGM said:

Kinda hafta agree- never call me wishy washy !😆

We definitely needed both, I would’ve taken Torrence & drafted a slot CB in round 3 or 4. If we are moving to more of a zbs run game system again though there’s question to if a big powerful but less athletic guard like Torrence fits the ZBS scheme, so that’s why you saw us wait take a guy like Braden Daniels too.

Edited by turtle28

57 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

I think there was a much bigger issue at LG. Especially when you consider we're trying to develop a young QB. So sure, we can plug some guy in there that we drafted that isn't actually supposed to play there and that wasn't their primary position or we could've just drafted the drafts best guard and plugged this hole on our OL for the next 10 years. And I would hope Quan Martin is not put at slot CB because his coverage grades were not very good unless I'm mistaken. So now we have a guy in Martin who is scheme specific based on this role that JDR runs in his defense so what happens when he and Rivera get fired next year? You already have two young studs at safety. Where does Martin play? Its just another rotational guy like Mathis picked with a relatively high draft choice.