Why I believe Kirk Cousins will be a New York Jet

jetskid007

1 hour ago, rdelaney89 said:

No but he'll receive similar contract offers next year if he's a FA so why not collect the extra $34M to play for a team you may have already been willing to sign with?

Stability. Same reason why he wasn’t happy about getting tagged these last couple years. Ya he got paid... but there’s no stability. He tears his ACL and he makes significantly less in 2019. The guy hasn’t played under a legit contract since he was drafted. He will want a contract for multiple guaranteed years worth of money. 

39 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Stability. Same reason why he wasn’t happy about getting tagged these last couple years. Ya he got paid... but there’s no stability. He tears his ACL and he makes significantly less in 2019. The guy hasn’t played under a legit contract since he was drafted. He will want a contract for multiple guaranteed years worth of money. 

Yup he could absolutely do that, but he was already willing to play on the Redskins if he was franchised before the Smith deal so to be he must be alright with the tag to some extent. I'm not expecting it to happen but I don't think it's as fart fetched as it may sound.

14 hours ago, rdelaney89 said:

I bet Kirk goes to the Browns:

- They just tried to trade a 2nd rounder for Alex Smith but only wanted him for 1 year at $20M.

- That tells me they want to take a QB #1 overall

- If that QB is Allen like people believe it will be then he learns behind Cousins for a year

- $80M in cap after signing Cousins ($34.5M cap hit), but I don't think they'll miss out on anyone they target because of Kirks contract.

- They'd only need to give up a better pick than a 2019 late 3rd, maybe the Browns 4th rounder this year is enough. Browns will still have 6 picks in the top 3 rounds.

- They could let him walk and it wouldn't hurt their cap moving forward

- If they sign him long term then they could likely trade Josh Allen for a 1st rounder, even though it's less than the value of the pick they used on him. They trade down essentially while giving them 2 shots at a QB.

- If Cousins leaves then it's Kizer vs Allen 2019

Cousins is going to be "THE GUY" where ever he goes. Cousins will be the highest paid player at the highest paid position,  and you think they are going to develop a guy? You spend your top picks on players to complete your team and go pedal to the metal. 

I saw this thread & had to chime in.

I agree with the OP 100%! I too, think Cousins will be a Jet.

However, it wont be from Kirk as a FA. I think the Redskins Tag & Trade Cousins to the Jets. Where they will have an agreement in place.

I also believe like Skins/Alex smith, that the Jets will also extend Cousins for a long term deal.

Compensation?

Don't worry, the Franchise Tag wont cost (2) first rd picks.

But it will cost of swapping 1st rd picks

Redskins get #6

Jets get #13

it will also cost the jets 3rd rounder & Matt Forte.

my prediction anyways...

I hope you guys get him.

3 minutes ago, aceinthehouse said:

I saw this thread & had to chime in.

I agree with the OP 100%! I too, think Cousins will be a Jet.

However, it wont be from Kirk as a FA. I think the Redskins Tag & Trade Cousins to the Jets. Where they will have an agreement in place.

I also believe like Skins/Alex smith, that the Jets will also extend Cousins for a long term deal.

Compensation?

Don't worry, the Franchise Tag wont cost (2) first rd picks.

But it will cost of swapping 1st rd picks

Redskins get #6

Jets get #13

it will also cost the jets 3rd rounder & Matt Forte.

my prediction anyways...

I hope you guys get him.

I don't know if Washington can do that ? It would cost the Skins a fortune to re sign him and than Washington would  over a barrel to trade him. We might not be the sharpest knife in the draw, but we are not stupid either. The Jets are not going to pick up some crazy contract the Skins give Cousins just to re sign him.

I'll explain why, for those asking...why wouldn't the jets just wait to sign him as a FA?

well, would you choose the jets as the team, if you wanted to go to a winner as Cousins has said?

You wouldn't choose say Minnesota? Jacksonville? Denver?

but what if say, Kirk is all about the Money?

Can you out do Cleveland?

What about Arizona?

I means the Jets have the NY media, but what if the Giants enter the sweepstakes? I don't think they will, but I've read some rumors...

but there is 1 way you could get him!

offer to trade for him, before Cousins can hit the open market.

if the skins tag him & cousins signs? ( quickly, we would hope)

He's yours!

nothing Cousins can do

even if he's pissed and wont sign long term, you could have him for 1 season.

then transition tag him next yr.

let him find other suiters for a long term deal & match any offer, that any team puts up.

Hopefully, it doesn't go that way & you guys settle on a LTD right after the trade.

point is, would you rather throw a bone the redskins way and get your guy early, while you concentrate on free agency and draft?

or wait and hope he hits free agency and even comes for a visit.

while you compete for all these other sharks wanting him.

dragging on free agency, while missing out on all the free agents, because Kirk can't make a decision cause 5 teams got offers up?

think about it...

4 minutes ago, doumeyer said:

I don't know if Washington can do that ? It would cost the Skins a fortune to re sign him and than Washington would  over a barrel to trade him. We might not be the sharpest knife in the draw, but we are not stupid either. The Jets are not going to pick up some crazy contract the Skins give Cousins just to re sign him.

from what I understand, the redskins can tag and trade Cousins, before Alex Smith is officially a Redskin.

march 14th, or something like that.

there's a window albeit, a small one.

but right now, we can tag and trade him.

if nobody bites by march 14th?

we can rescind the tag, then he's a free agent.

5 minutes ago, aceinthehouse said:

I'll explain why, for those asking...why wouldn't the jets just wait to sign him as a FA?

well, would you choose the jets as the team, if you wanted to go to a winner as Cousins has said?

You wouldn't choose say Minnesota? Jacksonville? Denver?

but what if say, Kirk is all about the Money?

Can you out do Cleveland?

What about Arizona?

I means the Jets have the NY media, but what if the Giants enter the sweepstakes? I don't think they will, but I've read some rumors...

but there is 1 way you could get him!

offer to trade for him, before Cousins can hit the open market.

if the skins tag him & cousins signs? ( quickly, we would hope)

He's yours!

nothing Cousins can do

even if he's pissed and wont sign long term, you could have him for 1 season.

then transition tag him next yr.

let him find other suiters for a long term deal & match any offer, that any team puts up.

Hopefully, it doesn't go that way & you guys settle on a LTD right after the trade.

point is, would you rather throw a bone the redskins way and get your guy early, while you concentrate on free agency and draft?

or wait and hope he hits free agency and even comes for a visit.

while you compete for all these other sharks wanting him.

dragging on free agency, while missing out on all the free agents, because Kirk can't make a decision cause 5 teams got offers up?

think about it...

No way the Jets GM is going along with that deal that is for sure

4 minutes ago, doumeyer said:

No way the Jets GM is going along with that deal that is for sure

teams are desperate. Jobs on the line.

if you were the jets coach right now and you were told that if you want to keep your job, that you better win 10 games next yr.

would you trade for Cousins or hope Josh Rosen is good?

that's my pt.

GM's get fired too.

21 minutes ago, aceinthehouse said:

I think we can tag him like march 6th or something?

we would have about week, to make a deal happen.

which is possible, as we know.

Specially, if they're talking right now.

Your owners screwed by not signing Cousins when they should have, you guy created this mess now you have to live with it. This blunder by Washington is the worst thing to happen to a NFL team with a good QB in the history of the league. Alex Smith is not as good as Cousins. No way are we going to give you our 6 overall pick in the draft. The future of the Washington Native Americans looks dim, very dim.

10 minutes ago, doumeyer said:

Your owners screwed by not signing Cousins when they should have, you guy created this mess now you have to live with it. This blunder by Washington is the worst thing to happen to a NFL team with a good QB in the history of the league. Alex Smith is not as good as Cousins. No way are we going to give you our 6 overall pick in the draft.

Alex Smith may not be great & just a game manager. But he managed to take a 2-14 chiefs team & help turn them into playoff caliber team.

Obviously the chiefs are talented, but he did his job.

If Cousins is so awesome, why have we gone 9-7, 8-7-1 & 7-9 the last 3 yrs with a legend like Kirk?

Is it all injury team related?

we've got worse...with him at the helm. Doesn't sound like a QB that can elevate his team to me.

Archived