Why I believe Kirk Cousins will be a New York Jet

jetskid007

Just now, Bobby816 said:

PFF isn’t the end all be all way of measuring a player. If you watch Minnesota games... you see Kendrick and Waynes is serious pieces for that defense. 

Kendricks is relatively important, but Waynes definitely isn't.  Smith is the best safety in football and Rhodes is an elite corner.  

3 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

Their FAs will command way more than that. They have one of the best edge guys hitting FA, one of the best LB hitting FA, a very good deep threat WR among others. Just to keep those 3 will cost them 35mill or more. Like I stated Minnesota is in the race 100% but money matters to him... Minnesota can’t pay that. The whole board on Minnesota said they can’t afford much more than 25 per. Yet you say otherwise. Come on man.

Even if they let 1-2 walk like Diggs or whoever.  If they keep the defense in tact like Barnaby said they can replace a guy or two as they'll have two drafts to do it.  They'll still be a really good team.  They have Waynes, Barr, Kendricks, Hunter, Diggs as a priority.  DIggs is replaceable, Waynes is a solid CB but replaceable.  They can grab Sutton or Oliver this year to easily fill in for Waynes, Diggs  and be fine plus have next years draft as well.

They could also move money to roster bonuses and other cap creative things like we did during our 09-11 run.  Eventually it will come back to bite them but they could keep this team together for 3-5 more years which is basically Cousins prime years and probably have a few rings before it comes crashing down.

They've shown to be great drafters as of late which is why they have so many young guys to sign.  If they keep drafting well they can be dominant for a long time.  MIN fans probably want to keep it at 25M but they can probably get closer to 30M too if they had to.

1 hour ago, barnaby8787 said:

Kendricks is relatively important, but Waynes definitely isn't.  Smith is the best safety in football and Rhodes is an elite corner.  

In my previous post I mentioned that too.  Waynes and Diggs are easily replaceable players as long as they keep Kendrick, Hunter and Barr they'll be fine.  CB is loaded this year and they can easily find a replacement for Waynes in this draft and a WR for Diggs in round 2.

If MIN wants him bad we should all just understand we have little to no shot outside of offering him a stupidly large  contract which I wouldn't do anyway.

8 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

In my previous post I mentioned that too.  Waynes and Diggs are easily replaceable players as long as they keep Kendrick, Hunter and Barr they'll be fine.  CB is loaded this year and they can easily find a replacement for Waynes in this draft and a WR for Diggs in round 2.

If MIN wants him bad we should all just understand we have little to no shot outside of offering him a stupidly large  contract which I wouldn't do anyway.

Bingo

21 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

The point is we have the money advantage and Minnesota has the roster advantage. We will see what wins.

Our roster NOW isn't what our roster will be surrounding Cousins either. Mine will be relatively the same, we have no bad contracts, tons of cap space and high picks along with an OC and Run Game Coordinator who will fit well with Cousins. 

I personally think the Vikings bring Teddy back.

12 minutes ago, KingOfTheDot said:

Our roster NOW isn't what our roster will be surrounding Cousins either. Mine will be relatively the same, we have no bad contracts, tons of cap space and high picks along with an OC and Run Game Coordinator who will fit well with Cousins. 

I personally think the Vikings bring Teddy back.

I doubt the Vikes are hinging their super bowl window on a QB coming off a near career ending injury.

From the Minn games i saw last year Waynes was targeted a ton, partially because Rhodes locks down the other side, but also because guys were open.  He is a weak point in that secondary and is really replaceable.  

Kendricks is an average ILBer, with the ability to become above average, but ILBer is possibly the most easily replaced spot in all of football.  

Lets not forget this is a team with almost no needs.  They can pick a top notch ILBer in the 1st round, who stands a real chance of being better than Kendricks, they can also take several CB's this year and can take one in the 1st round next year.  Not every decent player needs to be resigned.  Especially when you have all of your other bases covered.  

I think their priorities will be to resign Diggs, Hunter, and potentially Barr.  Though I do think Barr is a bit overrated.  He just hasn't been the impact player he was expected to turn into after having a nice rookie year.  His rookie year accounted for his best tackle and sack year, and his sacks have declined every year.  1 sack 0 forced fumbles 0 recovered fumbles, just no splash plays on a D where he is surrounded by guys going ham which you would think would provide opportunity.

2 minutes ago, jetfan8178 said:

I just don't think money will sway cousins. Hes made plenty in the last 2 seasons and a couple million compared to the chance of winning now isn't enough.

Mac also isn't the type to throw money out there just to get him

But it might not be a couple million. It could be Minnesota’s offer is 25 per and our 35per. Let’s just say the guaranteed is 3 years... that’s a 30mill difference. And that’s a lot of money.

1 minute ago, Bobby816 said:

But it might not be a couple million. It could be Minnesota’s offer is 25 per and our 35per. Let’s just say the guaranteed is 3 years... that’s a 30mill difference. And that’s a lot of money.

As a hypothetical yes, but that wont happen

12 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Why in the world do you want to pay him 35M though.  Why not just make it 40M?  You have to draw the line somewhere.

30M is my limit.  We are already at the point where we are debating if 30 is too much.  I would go to 30M just because I like him but when we start talking 35M it's just too much for my liking.  Give me Mayfield at that point.

Archived