Seattle Mariners Thread

Eagles27

1 hour ago, Mesa_Titan said:

Yeah, feeling pretty confident now. More than 80% likely he's coming to Seattle, IMO. We get Otani and then sign Darvish, we will be in business.

I'm not anywhere near ready to say we have an 80% chance, though I'm trying to hold back my excitement at this point. This could be a franchise altering signing if it happens.

There was a report last week that said he didn't want to sign in a market with an established Japanese star, so I'm a little worried he's leaning towards the Giants/Padres. 

It's a risky deal, but if Gordon is decent in CF I really like this deal. I like Niedert, but I think swapping him straight up for Gordon is fair. Torres for the 1 million is probably fine as well. Never heard of Dugger. 

If Ohtani doesn't sign after all this it will be pretty devastating. 

A lot of speed at the top of the lineup now which should be fun to watch.

CF Gordon
SS Segura
2B Cano
DH Cruz
3B Seager
RF Haniger
1B Healy
LF Gamel
C Zunino

Still hopefully enough money to add 1 SP in free agency too.

Vargas, Chacin, Tillman, Hellickson, etc. Someone like that probably would be fine. 

4 hours ago, ninjapirate said:

Seems like Ohtani knew from the start where he was going to go. Is that location Seattle? I mean I imagine he grew up idolizing Ichiro. 

Hopefully.

Things are pointing in our direction, but him picking someone else would be the most Mariners thing ever.  This franchise loves to raise our hopes and then mercilessly crush them.

Dipoto should be fired for gutting the farm the way he has. We literally have Kyle Lewis and Carlson and that's about it. I think we need to tear it all down and do a complete rebuild. I don't see this team making the playoffs, Cano and Cruz are getting older, and Felix is a shell of himself. We need to somehow get out from under their contracts and move on.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Haha21 said:

Dipoto should be fired for gutting the farm the way he has. We literally have Kyle Lewis and Carlson and that's about it. I think we need to tear it all down and do a complete rebuild. I don't see this team making the playoffs, Cano and Cruz are getting older, and Felix is a shell of himself. We need to somehow get out from under their contracts and move on.

Felix and Cano are pretty much unmovable. 

Dipoto has been overly-aggressive in trading away prospects and it has backfired big time now. The moves themselves aren't all terrible, but we're probably not even going to get a playoff appearance out of them. 

A re-build is probably the best course for the future of the franchise, but we're probably locked into being mediocre for the next 2-3 years. Hopefully if they don't overachieve this year and sneak into a WC spot; the club gives up on this group next offseason. We could still re-stock the farm by trading Paxton, Seager, Segura, & Diaz. 

1 minute ago, Eagles27 said:

Felix and Cano are pretty much unmovable. 

Dipoto has been overly-aggressive in trading away prospects and it has backfired big time now. The moves themselves aren't all terrible, but we're probably not even going to get a playoff appearance out of them. 

A re-build is probably the best course for the future of the franchise, but we're probably locked into being mediocre for the next 2-3 years. Hopefully if they don't overachieve this year and sneak into a WC spot; the club gives up on this group next offseason. We could still re-stock the farm by trading Paxton, Seager, Segura, & Diaz. 

Exactly what he did in Anaheim. As a fan you convince yourself it's not terrible since he's mostly selling off the mid to lower tier guys in your system but he trades so damn much that in the end he eventually guts your farm depth and leaves you incredibly thin. Once injuries strike you're left with little to no depth to fill the void(which leads to him making more short-sighted trades to fill said voids).

The thing with Dipoto is that he's very engaging with the media and fans and is an impressive speaker. He keeps fans clued into what the team is looking to do so fans feel like part of the process. He's always been a guy who believes in advanced statistics and analytics. He says all the right things and it makes you buy-in, but the end results are never there

Mariners really would be wise to move on from him before he does more long-term damage