Pick 87: 49ers select Ji'Ayir Brown, S, Penn state

Forge

31 minutes ago, Geek said:

TBF I do trust John to find a good safety so I guess we'll see.

I only have concerns about how he handles space. The fit with huf is just weird. In terms of value and everything, it was all good

6 minutes ago, Forge said:

I only have concerns about how he handles space. The fit with huf is just weird. In terms of value and everything, it was all good

He played as the higher of the two safeties most of the time when he wasn’t a third down blitzer. Really breaks on balls well from back there. Worried about the top end speed, for sure. But in college he was a deeper safety.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, JIllg said:

He played as the higher of the two safeties most of the time when he wasn’t a third down blitzer. Really breaks on balls well from back there. Worried about the top end speed, for sure. But in college he was a deeper safety.

I would not want that at the NFL level. I just don't know if he can keep up. Not sure how much I want him turning and running. Now, he could recognize it earlier... And he's got a really good burst in short area. Dude has some jump... Perhaps some recklessness too 😂...  this definitely my favorite of the three, but I'm a little worried about exposure deep. 

8 hours ago, Forge said:

I would not want that at the NFL level. I just don't know if he can keep up. Not sure how much I want him turning and running. Now, he could recognize it earlier... And he's got a really good burst in short area. Dude has some jump... Perhaps some recklessness too 😂...  this definitely my favorite of the three, but I'm a little worried about exposure deep. 

I definitely see where you're coming from. But there are certain guys who are able to function in the deep third w/o being uber athletes. Brown definitely isn't as athletic/twitchy as I prefer from my backend guys. But he looks very natural deep and seems to process things faster, which in turn makes you look faster. I will take the guy who can process faster over the better athlete. I think that's what made Sherman so great as a CB. 

He plays with a certain football intellect I think you need back there. Whether he can hang physically is another story but I like how he plays the game from the safety spot. And his ball skills are definitely there, which we sorely need also.

• Like 3

I also think the whole center fielder safety thing becomes less of a need when you have multiple linebackers who can cover and a competent safety paired with them. Huff has issues but unless he’s getting hard challenged deep, I’m pretty confident in his  ability to be in the right spot at the right time and making plays. I really like the pick and wouldn’t be surprised if he comes in plays right away.

• Like 1