2023 Draft Early Winners & Losers

RaidersAreOne

11 hours ago, Forge said:

Ben solak put it best

Eh. This re-arranging discounts the fact that there were players available when the Lions picked that they didn't pick. Gibbs over Gonzalez, LaPorta over Mayer- those are big missteps. You can't rely on 1 second round steal to save your draft because he should have been taken earlier.

8 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

Eh. This re-arranging discounts the fact that there were players available when the Lions picked that they didn't pick. Gibbs over Gonzalez, LaPorta over Mayer- those are big missteps. You can't rely on 1 second round steal to save your draft because he should have been taken earlier.

I can't defend the Gibbs pick. But LaPorta is more athletic in the passing game than Mayer, so I can understand it. But I still would have chosen Mayer.

On 5/1/2023 at 8:43 AM, minutemancl said:

TBH I'm unconvinced that Branch was even a steal. He may have been the best safety in this draft but I think in strong safety classes he probably went where he should have if not a little later.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Spartacus said:

TBH I'm unconvinced that Branch was even a steal. He may have been the best safety in this draft but I think in strong safety classes he probably went where he should have if not a little later.

I thought he was crazy overrated.  Shouldn't have been in the discussion for the first round.

1 hour ago, Spartacus said:

Anyone who saw Branch play against TN would say he didn't belong in the first two rounds.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Ragnarok said:

Anyone who saw Branch play against TN would say he didn't belong in the first two rounds.

I swear to god, I don't think he even attempted to tackle Hyatt half the time he was nearby.

Soft as hell.  Especially for someone who's probably playing safety in the NFL.  Throw in not being athletic and there's no reason he should have ever been in the convo.

His tape against Texas wasn't much better.  Unless he's a completely different player in the other 11 games, yeah, that's a no from me.

36 minutes ago, BetterCallSaul said:

I thought the entire AFC North killed it.

I think the Rams did awesome with what they had.

I think SF and Detroit faltered. Same with the Raiders, as I’m not a big fan of Tyree Wilson. I do like Mayer a lot.

I hope you are not dinging us merely for taking Moody with a comp pick in the 3rd--which are basically higher 4th round picks. Also, Pats took Ryland just 13 or so picks later--vindication, right there. 

36 minutes ago, Chrissooner49er said:

I hope you are not dinging us merely for taking Moody with a comp pick in the 3rd--which are basically higher 4th round picks. Also, Pats took Ryland just 13 or so picks later--vindication, right there. 

Im dinging them because I hated all of their picks until R7. 

• 2 weeks later...

I think Steelers won the draft in terms of Value after round 1. Not saying their first round pick was a reach - but I'd take Anton Harrison over Jones any day. The rest of their draft was just pure genius and value. 

Eagles - I honestly think they took several risks with both first round picks. Nolan Smith is overrated as an edge rusher who's not shown anything in pads. The upside is his athleticism displayed in shorts and a t shirt. Jalen Carter can be a wrecking ball but his off field and work ethic issues can scream Robert Nkodiche , not Ndamakung Suh. Ringo had no ability to turn and run with Receivers and was absolutely overrated as a prospect. Eagles did not need to give up a future 3rd to move up in the 4th to take him. Roseman has shown some genius in the last two drafts but this year is towards high risk and his 2019 and 2020 logic. Sydney Brown was his best pick in the first 3 rounds. 

I feel like a team that just made smart moves was the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. I'm usually overly critical of Jason Licht who i thought took a vacation in 2021 draft neglecting needs/depth at key positions and even 2022 where he made some questionable picks. Kancey was a steal at 19. But the rest of the picks were safe and solid - very Baltimore raven like. 

I also loved what the Lions did even if no one else did. Hooker in the 3rd round is probably the only questionable pick but I get it. Gibbs is a playmaker and Campbell is an athletic freak and absolute physical specimen and smash mouth LB - what Dan Campbell is building. 

• Like 2