4.134 - Jay Ward, DB - LSU

SemperFeist

It seems clear to me they targeted acquiring a movable chess piece in the secondary they can deploy in sub packages and week to week game plans. 

having someone like ward allows you to disguise coverage looks and pressure packages. I need to dive deeper into ward but I totally understand the reasoning behind finding a player like this. Flores had a similar chess piece with Eric Rowe that he utilized in a multi faceted role. 

it doesn’t hurt that he also went to DB-U

• Like 2

On 4/30/2023 at 7:20 AM, battle2heaven said:

It seems clear to me they targeted acquiring a movable chess piece in the secondary they can deploy in sub packages and week to week game plans. 

having someone like ward allows you to disguise coverage looks and pressure packages. I need to dive deeper into ward but I totally understand the reasoning behind finding a player like this. Flores had a similar chess piece with Eric Rowe that he utilized in a multi faceted role. 

it doesn’t hurt that he also went to DB-U

I thought this was what Cine was for? Guess not? 

1 minute ago, PrplChilPill said:

I thought this was what Cine was for? Guess not? 

I think the expectation for Cine should be that he pushes for the starting role. Still part of that chess piece group, but he should be closer to an every down contributor than a sub package contributor.

6 minutes ago, swede700 said:

I always thought it was Cam Bynum that was the "chess piece" because he had experience playing CB in college. 

Maybe. But Cam Bynum just isn’t that good. Who knows how good Ward will be but Bynum probably shouldn’t be anything more than a backup. 

Hopefully a camp battle will result in a good player rising to the top. 

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...