blkwdw13

2 minutes ago, IronMike84 said:

Yup, Truman Edwards 

or 

Kevin Nelsons

Roman Smith

Mike Fitz Patrick

Mike McLeggey

Imagine if the Bears wound up with Leighton Vander Esch. What a disaster.

What a disaster it would be indeed aside from just the name pronouncing.  Would remind me of the Shea McLellin picked all over again.  That one pissed me right off, even if I pretended to like it.

1 minute ago, beardown3231 said:

Biggs just tweeted that the Bears did secretly have a meeting with Davenport, so add him to the list.

Beat me to it!

Marcus Davenport, the edge rusher who has vaulted from relative anonymity just last fall to a big deal this spring, stepped back, cracked a big smile and then took a sip of his bottled water when asked if he had made a pre-draft visit to the Bears.

“That’s an interesting question,” said the 6-foot-6, 264-pound Davenport. “What do you think? Why the Bears specifically?”

Told that the reporter covers the Bears, Davenport smiled again.

“I met Coach (Brandon) Staley,” Davenport said. “I like him a lot.”

The Bears were one of 11 teams Davenport visited since the scouting combine, not a surprise considering he performed well at the Senior Bowl. Clubs needed to dig in and do more homework on Davenport because he competed at Texas-San Antonio, which didn’t launch its football program until 2011 and plays in Conference USA — far from a Power 5 program.

“We talked a lot,” Davenport said. “Really it was more personal. They were trying to get to know me as a person because coming from a school that doesn’t have much history, they didn’t come through as much. They weren’t keeping a record of me all the years.”

Davenport has great length and the frame to carry more weight if needed. He totaled 15 sacks the last two seasons but remains a little raw. There’s some projection involved, but he plays the position at which the Bears have the greatest need.

Davenport said he’s trying to take the events in stride leading up to the first round Thursday night at AT&T Stadium. He’s eager to find out where he will be playing and get started.

“I’ve got a chip on my shoulder still,” he said. “I’m still trying to prove things.”

bmbiggs@chicagotribune.com

2 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

What a disaster it would be indeed aside from just the name pronouncing.  Would remind me of the Shea McLellin picked all over again.  That one pissed me right off, even if I pretended to like it.

Nothing tops Alshon Jefferies.

In terms of pronunciation.

I’d be okay with the LVE pick, just not at 8.

Edited by IronMike84

1 minute ago, G08 said:

Beat me to it!

Marcus Davenport, the edge rusher who has vaulted from relative anonymity just last fall to a big deal this spring, stepped back, cracked a big smile and then took a sip of his bottled water when asked if he had made a pre-draft visit to the Bears.

“That’s an interesting question,” said the 6-foot-6, 264-pound Davenport. “What do you think? Why the Bears specifically?”

Told that the reporter covers the Bears, Davenport smiled again.

“I met Coach (Brandon) Staley,” Davenport said. “I like him a lot.”

The Bears were one of 11 teams Davenport visited since the scouting combine, not a surprise considering he performed well at the Senior Bowl. Clubs needed to dig in and do more homework on Davenport because he competed at Texas-San Antonio, which didn’t launch its football program until 2011 and plays in Conference USA — far from a Power 5 program.

“We talked a lot,” Davenport said. “Really it was more personal. They were trying to get to know me as a person because coming from a school that doesn’t have much history, they didn’t come through as much. They weren’t keeping a record of me all the years.”

Davenport has great length and the frame to carry more weight if needed. He totaled 15 sacks the last two seasons but remains a little raw. There’s some projection involved, but he plays the position at which the Bears have the greatest need.

Davenport said he’s trying to take the events in stride leading up to the first round Thursday night at AT&T Stadium. He’s eager to find out where he will be playing and get started.

“I’ve got a chip on my shoulder still,” he said. “I’m still trying to prove things.”

bmbiggs@chicagotribune.com

I really like this kid.

20 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

I really like this kid.

He would be a solid pick. Not the greatest value, but you would be gambling on the upside.

I think you approach Davenport the same as they did with Floyd. Comeback in the 2nd round and add a rock solid multi year starter at OG so that you have one of your top 2 picks starting early.

Edited by WindyCity

2 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

He would be a solid pick. Not the greatest value, but you would be gambling on the upside.

I think you approach Davenport the same as they did with Floyd. Comeback in the 2nd round and add a rock solid multi year starter at OG so that you have one of your top 2 picks starting early.

Who do you have in mind in round 2 for OG's?

Just now, WindyCity said:

James Daniels and Isaiah Wynn, but they likely go 1

Austen Corbett or Billy Price at 39.

Corbett reminds me so much of Cody Whitehair.

I do like Corbett as well. I agree that Wynn and Daniels go in round 1, and I'm starting to fear that Price will also.