2018 Draft Prospects

blkwdw13

I'm still waiting for some type of concrete evidence showing that Davenport is a weird guy...what is the definition of weird anyway?  Isn't it subjective?

Just because you're more introverted and not a rah rah type of guy that doesn't make you "weird". 

Anyway, this is a pretty good article on him that I just came across.  I didn't see one thing that stood out me as weird after reading this.  Did you?

Marcus Davenport had to learn to see his own enormous potential

Edited by topwop1

Davenport revealed the craziest question a team has asked, though he didn’t call out the team that asked him if he was a fruit, what kind of fruit would he be?

Me:   (Making a face) A pitcher I suppose.  

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

Lol...and?  What's wrong with loving poetry?  It's not for everyone I get that, but NFL players do have other interest besides just football, you know?

For me it tells me more in a positive light than a negative one...if a guy is willing to stand there and be honest about being a little different I would say it shows a quiet confidence.

1 minute ago, topwop1 said:

I'm still waiting for some type of concrete evidence showing that Davenport is a weird guy...what is the definition of weird anyway?  Isn't it subjective?

Just because you're more introverted and not a rah rah type of guy that doesn't make you "weird". 

Anyway, this is a pretty good article on him that I just came across.  I didn't see one thing that stood out me as weird after reading this.  Did you?

Marcus Davenport had to learn to see his own enormous potential

Depends on what type of weird.  

Weird guys can be moody or depressed or withdrawn which can be a problem if untreated or not addressed.  Ricky Williams comes to mind.  

Sometimes weird people are fine and just march to their own drum and may really, really like animals, guns, D&D, comic books, Game of Thrones, Star Wars or perhaps have odd fashion sense. 

Or you can be weird in sense you are a jackass who overly wants to haze, bully others and the like.  That can cause problems.  

You can be weird like Manziel or Gordon and become addicted to bad behavior or substances.  

You can be weird like reported about the UCLA QB in that you are overly intellectual and can come off as arrogant.

The withdrawn types sometimes have to be coddled and encouraged rather than barked at.   Something some coaches don't like to bother with or it clashes with their teaching/coaching style and they can't be bothered to adjust.  

5 hours ago, pigsooie5 said:

Landry is a one trick pony who is horrendous in run support... Go check out how few times he played all 3 downs. PP constantly took him out on obvious run plays. Once college OT’s watched even a sliver of tape on him realized this, combined with a bend and rip only move as a rusher and look what happened to his stats?  Injuries, sure, but that’s not the whole story as much as some would like it to be. 

I’m not even gunna get into a debate or argument with you on Leonard Floyd if you truly think he’s a ‘bust’, I mean, that’s just silly man.

4 hours ago, topwop1 said:

Calling Floyd a bust is probably the stupidest thing I've heard this off season from someone who claims to be a Bears fan.

The guy is averaging more than half a sack per game in his young career.  If you want to make an argument that Floyd has not been able to avoid the injury bug so far then sure, but to say he's a flat out bust and does not know what he is doing is laughable. 

He impacts the game and what opposing offense are doing each and every game he's active.

As for Harold Landry I think he ends up going to the Lions at #20.  Makes too much sense for them with Pasqualoni being hired there and them having a  need at that position.  

4 hours ago, G08 said:

He can bend the edge, though. Is it elite like Landry's ability to bend? No. But for a dude his size, it's more than good enough.

Davenport can beat you with power, with his length, with speed, and something I really value is he has some notches on his belt closing out games with big-time sacks. The only worry I have about him is his personality, dude is kind of a weird-o. Introspective and insecure, which is fine, but how are you going to thrive in a man's league like that? The painting and poetry doesn't bother me that much, but you know players will be talking **** to him and that will be brought up. Now you're going to be insecure on top of that? Bad look.

Replying to all three of you at once...

1. Landry has graded out as one of the best RUN defenders in college football... Now if you want to make the arguement that his bad plays tend to be egregiously bad, then I'd probably agree with you there, but overall statistically he's actually been a significant ASSET in run support, as opposed to a liability. Also his "one trick" even in his "bad"/injured year was still statistically at least as good as Davenport's "one trick" during his best year... at a lower division of play.

2. Leonard Floyd grades out as the 57th best 3-4 OLB.... HE'S A TOP 10 PICK. "Bust" might have been an overly strong word, but I don't see how anyone can justify 57th overall as a top 10 pick being some rousing measure of success... At best he's a league average player right now.... which is still a major disappointment for his TOP 10 draft status.

3. Davenport has no bend that I've seen in any of his tape whatsoever... Every play he literally runs directly at the OT and hopes to bully him backwards with his bullrush,  sometimes without even making proper usage of his hands... I have zero faith that's going to consistently work out well for him at the NFL level.

24 minutes ago, Epyon said:

Replying to all three of you at once...

1. Landry has graded out as one of the best RUN defenders in college football... Now if you want to make the arguement that his bad plays tend to be egregiously bad, then I'd probably agree with you there, but overall statistically he's actually been a significant ASSET in run support, as opposed to a liability. Also his "one trick" even in his "bad"/injured year was still statistically at least as good as Davenport's "one trick" during his best year... at a lower division of play.

2. Leonard Floyd grades out as the 57th best 3-4 OLB.... HE'S A TOP 10 PICK. "Bust" might have been an overly strong word, but I don't see how anyone can justify 57th overall as a top 10 pick being some rousing measure of success... At best he's a league average player right now.... which is still a major disappointment for his TOP 10 draft status.

3. Davenport has no bend that I've seen in any of his tape whatsoever... Every play he literally runs directly at the OT and hopes to bully him backwards with his bullrush,  sometimes without even making proper usage of his hands... I have zero faith that's going to consistently work out well for him at the NFL level.

Who do you want them to draft?

1 hour ago, topwop1 said:

Lol...and?  What's wrong with loving poetry?  It's not for everyone I get that, but NFL players do have other interest besides just football, you know?

I'd venture to guess the majority of NFL players don't love poetry, so therefore, he is different.

4 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

I'd venture to guess the majority of NFL players don't love poetry, so therefore, he is different.

Sure but I still don't see how this is a bad thing or how it will impact his effectiveness at the NFL level, can you explain?

From another board regarding Davenport vs. Landry

In UTSA’s defense, Davenport plays the STU DE role, basically just meaning he’s a Stand Up End. It’s important to differentiate between a STU and an OLB. In a 3-4 system, the SAM/WILL positions are protected by the 5 technique Defensive End on their sides. These DE’s absorb the Tackle’s initial punch and even if the Tackle later abandons the 5tech to pass set against the OLB on the edge, they are still accounting for that 5tech initially. This splits attention and makes life for the OLB easier. Also recognize that the OLB is able to line up in a wider technique. This make attacking the back shoulder of the QB easier, and with the 5tech the OLB is less concerned about getting burned on inside gap protection against the run. 

So when we evaluate the STU’s role, we need to recognize that there is no 5tech. So even if the STU takes a wider technique, they are still playing a harder position due to not having that interior Defensive Lineman as extra insurance in the run game and a potential distraction in pass rushing. Instead Davenport’s position asked him to essentially account for the entirety of the outside for the left side of the defense. UTSA mostly runs a 6 man box, nixing the traditional 3rd LB for a Rover/Joker position in the Defensive Backfield. And they can do that because a player like Davenport is able to take on so much responsibility as both a pass rusher and a run stopper.

Landry lines up wide of the OT with his hand in the ground and has 1 thought in mind, get around the tackle. Davenports dline is shifted away from him, so he cannot lineup wide of the OT. He has to account for setting the edge as well as the inside gap run in a stand up stance. He can not go all out in either direction. The OT does not have to stay in at the snap of the ball to protect the inside, as there is no 5 tech there. The OT can fire back immediately, as his sole responsibility is Davenport. Understand that these 2 players had completely different responsibilities in college.

Just now, beardown3231 said:

Did I say it will impact his effectiveness or that it's a bad thing?

Well you are trying to provide back up to the claims that he is weird and introverted.  I don't think liking poetry qualifies as being those two things but that's just me.

I also don't see how these things have anything to do with the evaluation of the said football player's talent and character.

All I was trying to do was show that I have also heard that he is different and I provided a few articles showing that he is, by definition, different. Furthermore, I went on to explain that I don't care as long as it doesn't get him in jail or effect his play on the field (which I do believe Bennett's OTF interests did). It does NOT have anything to do with his talent and character. How can you be so blind to think that anyone who brought up his OTF interests believes that it'll effect his talent? That's not even possible. "I like poetry so my football skills will deteriorate." Umm..?

Edited by beardown3231

8 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

Who do you want them to draft?

My top 5 draft scenarios for a 3 round selection right now:

Scenario 1. Trade Howard and 8 for #4  (Super unlikely draft scenario, but is still my preference)

Rnd 1. Sequan Barkley-RB

Best overall talent in the draft, and adds 3 critical things over Howard at RB: Ability to catch the ball, breakaway speed/home run threat, and 5 year locked up contract.

Rnd 2. Ragnow-Center (Whitehair to LG)

I'd prefer Wynn at G (or Hernandez) and keeping Whitehair where he's at, but I don't think either are there by 39. Ragnow was an elite college C, and having the extra depth there would be very nice (to avoid ever starting Grasu again)

Rnd 3 No pick

Scenario 2. Trade #8 for #11 and a third (requires Miami to presumably want a QB)

Rnd 1. Harold Landry-OLB

Best overall pass rusher in the draft.

I'd prefer Wynn at G (or Hernandez) and keeping Whitehair where he's at, but I don't think either are there by 39. Ragnow was an elite college C, and having the extra depth there would be very nice (to avoid ever starting Grasu again)

Rnd 3. DJ Chark-WR

Elite athlete with decent size, almost assuredly better pro than college career, can be used as simple deep threat early.

Scenario 3. No trades, Nelson falls to 8

Rnd 1. Nelson-OG

One of the top prospects of any position

Rnd 2. Isiah Oliver-CB

I don't like the Edge depth here, but the corner depth is nice.

Rnd 3. No pick

Scenario 4. No trade, Nelson is gone

Rnd 1. Harold Landry-Edge

Best pass rusher in the draft.

Rnd 3. No pick

Scenario 5. No trade, Nelson is gone

Rnd 1. Denzel Ward-CB

Best overall Corner in the draft, elite athlete, lockdown potential.

Rnd 3. No pick

Chad Reuter's newest mock draft has NO coming up to 8 for Mayfield with the Bears moving down to 27 and taking McGlinchey. Man, I just have a hard time moving that far down, especially with NO not having a 2nd round pick this year. Last year, KC got up to 10 by giving up their 1st, 2nd and a future 1st. With NO not having a 2nd this year, Pace would almost have to ask for the Saints' 2018, 2019 and 2020 1st's, right?